Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Hello my friends,

I don't say it is fake but I wanna make you think :D We have a few free products that use online detection / cloud detection.

Avira Free has the new Cloud Protection, I didn't see it once and I used Avira for a long time (did not notice in Youtube reviews).

AVG has ID Protect that uses "cloud protection", you can see it from time to time as "IDP/malware_name" so we know it works.

Comodo has the option (if you check it) during the install to send unknown files to analysis, you can also see in detection with ".malware" (dot and malware name). Lately I didn't notice, so ... I really don't know what to say.

Panda Cloud it detects as "Suspicious File" on "right click" it is not the best but if you execute it is good so it works

And the list goes on ...

Now my question ... how is with this Cloud Protection, Cloud Detection ? Also what is with this detection (ZBot, Rogue, WinLock, Downloader) ?

Reactions: marg and MrExplorer

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Hello my friends,

I don't say it is fake but I wanna make you think :D We have a few free products that use online detection / cloud detection.

Avira Free has the new Cloud Protection, I didn't see it once and I used Avira for a long time (did not notice in Youtube reviews).

AVG has ID Protect that uses "cloud protection", you can see it from time to time as "IDP/malware_name" so we know it works.

Comodo has the option (if you check it) during the install to send unknown files to analysis, you can also see in detection with ".malware" (dot and malware name). Lately I didn't notice, so ... I really don't know what to say.

Panda Cloud it detects as "Suspicious File" on "right click" it is not the best but if you execute it is good so it works

And the list goes on ...

Now my question ... how is with this Cloud Protection, Cloud Detection ? Also what is with this detection (ZBot, Rogue, WinLock, Downloader) ?
Faster updates and is lighter because you dont need to load the signatures on ram

Reactions: marg

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Tiranium is fully cloud-based too.

Antivirus send the signature of the file to the cloud => the cloud reply <= with the malicious signature, this is the basic of the cloud usage with all cloud protections on the market.
Realtime updates, always updated and more strong than a local DB.

I hope it's what you have asked for :)

Reactions: yigido and marg

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I didn't see any cloud detection from Avira,I am asking if they work if it is real-time situation.
Another question is with AV detection, one said is FakeAlert, another ZBot, another Downloader, another Rogue .... and it is the same file. After testing in Virtual Box was WinLock-Ransomware.

EDIT: It is not a complete list, I just wanted to show one point. Avira says it has cloud detection and I didn't find it. Also like I said above, is this cloud detection really working ? On Panda Cloud it is but on the others ... ?

Reactions: Dani Santos

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
I didn't see any cloud detection from Avira,I am asking if they work if it is real-time situation.
Another question is with AV detection, one said is FakeAlert, another ZBot, another Downloader, another Rogue .... and it is the same file. After testing in Virtual Box was WinLock-Ransomware.

It is not a complete list, I just wanted to show one point. Avira says it has cloud detection and I didn't find it. Also like I said above, is this cloud detection really working ? On Panda Cloud it is but on the others ... ?

Lot of security company, choose to go fast with adding all samples received without really checking in "deep".
The essential is to detect, not to details.

After all, a ransomware can contains a downloader, that can contains Zbot, etc. . .

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Maybe avira uses the cloud like avast cloud with a blacklist and whitelist and it just helps the program deciding the action on the behavior blocker for example. I dont use avira so im not sure

D

Deleted member 2913

Bitdefender Free ?
I have tested it a lot on real system & compared with BD AV Plus.
I can say that atleast in my tests, the detection were the same as paid.
Offline protection was good too.
Active Virus Control works offline too.
And offcourse as BD mention for full power/protection needs cloud/internet connected.

Y

yigido

I have tested it a lot on real system & compared with BD AV Plus.
I can say that atleast in my tests, the detection were the same as paid.
Offline protection was good too.
Active Virus Control works offline too.
And offcourse as BD mention for full power/protection needs cloud/internet connected.
I am thinking the use it if Bitdefender updates it :mad:

D

Deleted member 2913

I am thinking the use it if Bitdefender updates it :mad:
Offcourse it is updated.
Definitions are updated often (checked hourly) & along with definition fixes are provided.

Yes, the version have not changed.
But if you see BD 2014 & new 2015 version, there are new features but protection features are the same.
So no difference in protection features in free compared to latest paid & thats what count.

I am running it on 2 Win 7 64 systems with no probs.
For past 3-4 months I haven't faced logs prob (logs prob - sometimes logs use to not open)
But a system restart or exit BD from tray & open again always solved the prob for me.

Y

yigido

Offcourse it is updated.
Definitions are updated often (checked hourly) & along with definition fixes are provided.

Yes, the version have not changed.
But if you see BD 2014 & new 2015 version, there are new features but protection features are the same.
So no difference in protection features in free compared to latest paid & thats what count.

I am running it on 2 Win 7 64 systems with no probs.
For past 3-4 months I haven't faced logs prob (logs prob - sometimes logs use to not open)
But a system restart or exit BD from tray & open again always solved the prob for me.
It needs improvement.
see my experience : http://malwaretips.com/threads/bitdefender-free-av.26164/#post-189195
:)

D

Deleted member 2913

Cons:
-Viewing the interface takes sometime.
-Scanning speed too slow
-No additional settings to configure it for yourself.
and I think it looks like an abondoned software..

The above are the BD Free Cons as per you.
3 - is a preference thing. I mean average users wont mind but experts would want customization.
4 - It doesn't looks like an abondoned software to me. I mean protection is good & working with no probs here & regular updates are there. Its been 8-9 months the last version was released. I dont think its a very long time for a product like BD Free that on protection front is still the same as BD 2015 for me.
1. I never faced that prob i.e 2-3 secs here
2. I never faced that prob i.e auto scans, quick & full are faster with every scans. Now full scan also doesn't take long.
Yes, rightclick scan is slow, dead slow.

Reactions: yigido
Y

yigido

Cons:
-Viewing the interface takes sometime.
-Scanning speed too slow
-No additional settings to configure it for yourself.
and I think it looks like an abondoned software..

The above are the BD Free Cons as per you.
3 - is a preference thing. I mean average users wont mind but experts would want customization.
4 - It doesn't looks like an abondoned software to me. I mean protection is good & working with no probs here & regular updates are there. Its been 8-9 months the last version was released. I dont think its a very long time for a product like BD Free that on protection front is still the same as BD 2015 for me.
1. I never faced that prob i.e 2-3 secs here
2. I never faced that prob i.e auto scans, quick & full are faster with every scans. Now full scan also doesn't take long.
Yes, rightclick scan is slow, dead slow.
Yes all we can see the Malware Security review for Bitdfender Free
http://msecurity.wix.com/malwaresecurity#!free-antiviruss/c1l2v
Good for you :)

D

Deleted member 2913

Yes all we can see the Malware Security review for Bitdfender Free
http://msecurity.wix.com/malwaresecurity#!free-antiviruss/c1l2v
Good for you :)
Reviews are fine.
I also look at reviews just to see how the software did with the particular collection of samples.
Its like good/bad day for good softwares. Bad softwares always fail. But good softwares works. Depends on the samples. Sometimes system gets infected & sometimes not during tests. Even the test link for BD Free you gave, the reviewer mentioned BD Free protected & the system was not infected.
I too have tested many free products. All the free products fail & they will, tests are not real scenarios. The only ones that does better are the ones with some kind of HIPS.
In my tests the free software that always did excellent was Comodo Internet Security. But I find it not for average/novices but for intermediate & experts.

Reactions: yigido

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.