Only 9 of 22 antivirus block Java exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

donotcrack

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2011
According to an analysis conducted by the AV-Comparatives test lab on behalf of The H's associates at heise Security, less than half of the 22 anti-virus programs tested protect users against the currently circulating Java exploit that targets a highly critical vulnerability in Java version 7 Update 6.

Only 9 of the 22 tested products managed to block both variants of the exploit (Avast Free, AVG, Avira, ESET, G Data, Kaspersky, PC Tools, Sophos and Symantec). Twelve virus scanners were found to be unsuccessful (AhnLab, Bitdefender, BullGuard, eScan, F-Secure, Fortinet, GFI-Vipre, Ikarus, McAfee, Panda Cloud Antivirus, Trend Micro and Webroot). Microsoft's free Security Essentials component at least managed to block the basic version of the exploit.

(via H-Zone )

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Wow thats surprising how many dont block it, im sure they probably will in the next little while but not good for users with any of those antiviruses now...

donotcrack

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2011
Update Java Version 7 Update 7

_http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Kinda thought Kaspersky would be there with the ones that did catch it, nearly half didn't something the vendors need to fix.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Within an hour so of the results he other comapnies would have caught up. Seeing the trend i think its Bitdefender engines fault that escan and bullgaurd miss the exploit. GDATA does catch it as it has Avast engine too.
Its generally recommended to disable Java as of now. I myself being a Java programmer have kept it disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.