Battle OpenDNS & Adguard's Safe Browsing

H

hjlbx

OpenDNS:

• Content filtering\phishing protection\malicious site filtering
  • Probably protects against DNS spoofing (not sure, just a guess)

Adguard:

• Content filtering\phishing protection\malicious site filtering
  • Adblocking\webpage element\script filtering - user customizable
  • Partial user IP address masking
  • More features than OpenDNS
  • More customizable than OpenDNS

There might be overlap between OpenDNS' and Adguard's content filtering - it depends upon whether or not they both use the same block lists...

0136d0n

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 26, 2016
Probably protects against DNS spoofing
DNSCrypt does this trick ;)
Actually I start using OpenDNS (& so on) because I found Umbra's post about DNSCrypt that can prevent DNS spoofing.

@frogboy I already aware of DNS Jumper, but I wonder if using this one will affect DNSCrypt :rolleyes:

I decided to keep both. Thank you for your fast advises :p

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
sometimes, adguard may cause problem. at 1 time, I had problem that all my devices could only chat using facebook messenger while all other websites or apps could not access the internet. I immediately switched to opendns and everything was working a gain -> I changed the DNS in my router into opendns

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think you need to choose one of them, the more configuration is a chance to expand the effectiveness.

They have both same protection concepts but one of them offers complete effectiveness.

Reactions: 0136d0n

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
I would personally recommend openDNS just based on the fact that they have more "visibility" on DNS records worldwide compared to Adguard. Since opendns is now part of Cisco the amount of traffic that flows through their Datacenter is (this is my guess as I do not have actual data) considerably higher. Also at this time it is much more mature in terms of DNS server coverage and resiliency.

I haven't used ADguard but it looks quite promising. Making Adguard DNS open source is +1. I can't see any specific features that ADguard has atm that can make me change my DNS settings at this point

Reactions: Varok

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.