OracleJMT's setup

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Pretty good! You might want the WOT add-on/extension for your browsers, and an adblocker, but that is your choice. :)

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
LaserWraith said:
Pretty good! You might want the WOT add-on/extension for your browsers, and an adblocker, but that is your choice. :)

Hehe, I forgot to mention, that I allready have WOT,Adblock, and Keep More Opts out in Google Chrome, and WOT and Keyscrambler in IE.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
OracleJMT said:
LaserWraith said:

Hehe, I forgot to mention, that I allready have WOT,Adblock, and Keep More Opts out in Google Chrome, and WOT and Keyscrambler in IE.

Then I don't know what to say. :p

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
LaserWraith said:
OracleJMT said:
LaserWraith said:

Then I don't know what to say. :p

Don't bother.. ;) It happens to me so often.. :D

Updated! Added Comodo Cleaning Essentials/Killswitch to my on-demand collection.

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Valentinchen N said:
do you like to scan websites before you enter them? might wanna add VTchromizer

I'm used to URLVoid, but this is freakin' awesome.. Thanks! :D

Valentin, are you Swedish? Cause i'm from Denmark.. ;)

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Is there anything you guys think, that could be better, or i may change? :)

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Oh, and that's typical.. I also forgot to mention, that I have Clear Cloud as my secure DNS, and Secunia PSI for patching my software.

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
OracleJMT said:

Well, you have a respectable antivirus and Comodo for firewall and HIPS, so you should be pretty much set. Since you're using a 32 bit system you may also want to consider sandboxie, but it really isn't needed because the rest of your set up is pretty solid. Thanks for the friend request, by the way.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bunyip783 said:
OracleJMT said:

Well, you have a respectable antivirus and Comodo for firewall and HIPS, so you should be pretty much set. Since you're using a 32 bit system you may also want to consider sandboxie, but it really isn't needed because the rest of your set up is pretty solid. Thanks for the friend request, by the way.
I think that GeSWall and Bufferzone are better free versions than sandboxie because they automatically isolate and sandbox programs, respectively.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
What level do you have the sandbox set to?

It should be set to either Restricted or Untrusted.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
elliotcroft said:
I think that GeSWall and Bufferzone are better free versions than sandboxie because they automatically isolate and sandbox programs, respectively.
It will be too much protection (if possible), sandboxie is just for sanboxing occasional unsigned executables or your browser while surfing to unknown sites and I think it better fits this setup since the user is advanced and can probably handle hips pop-ups just fine.

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
bunyip783 said:
OracleJMT said:

Your welcome.. :)

Chiron said:
What level do you have the sandbox set to?

It should be set to either Restricted or Untrusted.

I have the sandbox disabled, cause I like to handle defense+ alerts. ;)

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
elliotcroft said:
It will be too much protection (if possible), sandboxie is just for sanboxing occasional unsigned executables or your browser while surfing to unknown sites and I think it better fits this setup since the user is advanced and can probably handle hips pop-ups just fine.
I like using GeSWall because it doesn't have any faults, it isolates programs even if they look like the real thing.
I just disable policy notifications and then it's completely 'oh, what's this, a free laptop, oh wait, it just broke the computer' proof. :biggrin:

OracleJMT

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Just changed my setup completely. Now I have Windows XP Professional with SP3 installed, and Defensewall Personal Firewall + Shadow Defender as my real-time protection. I felt that I wanted some change to my config, and i'm pretty satisfied right now. :)

D

Deleted member 178

so you are in Shadow Defender's shadow mode all time since the boot? if yes it is ok. Defensewall will block almost all. if not i will add a light signature AV in case of.

btw which version of Shadow Defender did you installed? you must know that the latest one (.331) is considered as a potential malware by some SD users (included the last SD forum mod) since the disappearance of SD's author was before the release of this version.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Great config, as Defensewall Personal Firewall was fully a HIPS feature and you have Shadow Defender that you can revert any changes.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
OracleJMT said:
Just changed my setup completely. Now I have Windows XP Professional with SP3 installed, and Defensewall Personal Firewall + Shadow Defender as my real-time protection. I felt that I wanted some change to my config, and i'm pretty satisfied right now. :)

You have 2 solid layer of prevention but no real time detection......
Be sure to submit every new download to virustotal.com before running it and/or scanning it with your on-demand scanners.

You can install VTUploader , which will make uploading files for scaning to VT a easy job. :)

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.