Advice Request Orange Defender by Innovative Solutions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Is this software legit? I just discovered it in Softpedia's list of recently updated security programs.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Looks like a fake AV judging by the ui :giggle:
It's not a fake. The publisher has been around since 1997 and as has been mentioned, it uses Avira sigantures. But it's certainly not worth using.

These days fake and antiviruses are hard to find. Instead of making fake antiviruses, publishers will make a very basic antivirus using Avira signatures. It seems that Avira will license their signatures to anyone.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
It's not a fake. The publisher has been around since 1997 and as has been mentioned, it uses Avira sigantures. But it's certainly not worth using.

These days fake and antiviruses are hard to find. Instead of making fake antiviruses, publishers will make a very basic antivirus using Avira signatures. It seems that Avira will license their signatures to anyone.

It's a bit the same with Bitdefender 😉
Many antivirus programs use its engine (Gdata, Emsisoft, Alyac etc)

If you have money to put on the table for an Antivirus product, the publisher signs directly. I remember the 1st versions of Intego for Windows that used Panda's engine, they use Avira.

After that, Avira SDK is not enough. Even if Avira has excellent definitions, its big strength is in its Cloud network. And there are only 2 Antivirus that use it: F-Secure and BullGuard...

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
company is legit. they have best free uninstaller around. their AV though, used to be a paid demand scanner with no real time protection, i am unsure if that is still true. and it used to use the avira engine. so to me, just use free avira or a free demand scanner like malwarebytes. and if you're really curious, try the 30 day free trial, and let me know if it has real time scanner now.
lastly, contrary to what others felt, the name orange defender rocks! lol. effective marketing is about being memorable. i heard that name a decade ago and never forgot it.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.