Advice Request OSArmor compatibility & full uninstall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I’m thinking of installing OSArmor to an elder member of the family. She can barely operate a computer. My two questions are

1) how stable is it with new windows updates. Does it autouodate itself to stay compatible with Windows ?

2) do they provide an uninstaller, which uninstalls everything, including the driver and registry entries ?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm a basic user but can answer your questions to some extent:

1. Very stable. However, when the April 2019 update rolls around, I will remove it, update, then re-install it and check. OSArmor doesn't auto-update; the developer visits here and at Wilders Security to introduce new beta builds. The stable version is on the NVT website. The developer did acknowledge auto-update requests but did not provide a hard-and-fast eta. This is a free software, remember.

2. No uninstaller--the software uninstalls cleanly from Control Panel/Programs and Features. Both drivers are removed with no problems. You can make a backup of the configurations if you'd added or subtracted from the defaults. I do this routinely and save the RULES file in C:\Documents. If you reinstall later, you can then add your rules back with the Configurator/Main Protections/Load from file tab at the bottom. When uninstalling, you'll get a little box asking if you want to remove settings, logs, etc. When I've chosen to remove everything, I checked in registry via NVTOSArmor and OSArmor and there were no remaining entries. :emoji_ok_hand:

When enabling any rules that aren't already enabled, I'd start with the ones that do not have an orange or red "i" in order to shy away from false positives which can be confusing and annoying to someone who isn't used to this kind of thing.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I wouldn't have OSArmor on a laptop for an elderly adult if they have little computing knowledge. But fair play for helping him out.

Think about other alternatives which are user friendly for him but adequate enough it has good protection capabilities.

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If she mostly surfs, checks email, etc., and doesn't install stuff, you could use WD + Hard_Configurator @ Recommended settings and you're done. No maintenance required. Easy. If she has other uses, then it might make a difference.

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
@notabot

I use KIS + OSArmor for my Dad laptop, he didn't know anything about computer except turn on, shutdown, and typing on Microsoft word. Even a popup reminder about windows update he asking me what to do, since he don't speak english at all. And in the past i have to clean up autorun virus, idk where he got it from, but he was often use flash disk to copy stuff from internet cafe. Not anymore, but still, wish i have this OS armor in the past, its saving times to fix it.

OS Armor can protect disable windows scripting host, block wscript, block process executed from usb, and many more..

And yes, you should install OSArmor. its doesn't need much time for maintainance, you can just install, set some configuration, and all done. Even if you dont set any configuration, the basic protection is good already i think.

BTw i use KIS+OS armor on my windows 10 pro x64 1809

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
@notabot

I use KIS + OSArmor for my Dad laptop, he didn't know anything about computer except turn on, shutdown, and typing on Microsoft word. Even a popup reminder about windows update he asking me what to do, since he don't speak english at all. And in the past i have to clean up autorun virus, idk where he got it from, but he was often use flash disk to copy stuff from internet cafe. Not anymore, but still, wish i have this OS armor in the past, its saving times to fix it.

OS Armor can protect disable windows scripting host, block wscript, block process executed from usb, and many more..

And yes, you should install OSArmor. its doesn't need much time for maintainance, you can just install, set some configuration, and all done. Even if you dont set any configuration, the basic protection is good already i think.

If you don’t update OSArmor version (they live far), how does OSArmor fare with Windows updates, is there risk that it will break (Windows or itself) with Windows updates ?

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I wouldn't have OSArmor on a laptop for an elderly adult if they have little computing knowledge. But fair play for helping him out.

Think about other alternatives which are user friendly for him but adequate enough it has good protection capabilities.

~LDogg

I may not install it, haven’t made up my mind yet but trying to find it if it’s fit for purpose for the given usecase

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, the user should have to know how to deal with a block alert--in this case, I would X out because it's legit. Also, whenever there's a block alert, by default, OSA plays a sound which might freak someone out who doesn't know, lol. You can disable it in Settings. There are other considerations....

You can demo it, for sure--as you noted about uninstalls, it does get removed cleanly via Control Panel.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

If she mostly surfs, checks email, etc., and doesn't install stuff, you could use WD + Hard_Configurator @ Recommended settings and you're done. No maintenance required. Easy. If she has other uses, then it might make a difference.

+1(y)

Very simple, but effective setup.

@notabot

OSA is a very good program and usually plays along with the vast majority of security programs. Food for thought, since you are running KIS you probably don't need OSA as KIS is a very capable product. With things like System Watcher, TAM, etc... you probably don't need anything else running beside it TBH. That being said if you aren't having any issues that good too. Just wanted to give you something to think about.:)

Surfing, Skype and Microsoft Office - I’m also thinking of Andy’s HC but she’s in a remote location and a default deny may pose practical challenges

That's very fair. That's always the problem with helping those who don't live in the same general area as yourself. I know you have your reservations about Sophos Home/Premium, but maybe something like that plus SysHardener would be an option? At least with SH/SHP you can log in if needed?

If you don’t update OSArmor version (they live far), how does OSArmor fare with Windows updates, is there risk that it will break (Windows or itself) with Windows updates ?

When I've ran OSA, I didn't run into any issues with Windows update. That being said you can easily disable it if you are having issues. Usually with big feature updates you can always disable it just to be sure. Currently I know OSA doesn't auto update, but I've read that they are planning on adding such a feature soon.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
The best would be to try out OSArmor and see if it suits you. The other alternatives would be Avast Free with hardened mode set to aggressive or Kaspersky Internet Security with Trusted Application Mode. If OSArmor doesn't suit you you can always use SysHardener to harden your OS.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Surfing, Skype and Microsoft Office - I’m also thinking of Andy’s HC but she’s in a remote location and a default deny may pose practical challenges

You should post on H_C site or PM @Andy Ful - he is the master, but my initial thought is there won't even be any whitelisting involved. (y)It should work out of the box. You can set it up and forget about it. You don't want her dealing with any OSA alerts (n)and it may not function correctly with Windows feature updates. (See posts over @ Wilders for this issue. I don't know if the MT thread has posts about this).

Another option is VoodooShield set on Autopilot. It functions more like a traditional AV. And if you set it to "moderate posture", she'll probably never hear a "peep" from it. WD and VS (with suggested setup) is another perfect option. (y)

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I know you have your reservations about Sophos Home/Premium, but maybe something like that plus SysHardener would be an option? At least with SH/SHP you can log in if needed?

That’s actually one of the other two options I’m currently thinking, I need to look more into syshardener ( for my own PCs I lock them via GPO, so I have no need for it ) but I’ll take a look and see how effective its measures are against fileless stuff.
Though WD’s ASR is probably too good to pass and I may end up with Hardened Defender + SysHardener

When I've ran OSA, I didn't run into any issues with Windows update. That being said you can easily disable it if you are having issues. Usually with big feature updates you can always disable it just to be sure. Currently I know OSA doesn't auto update, but I've read that they are planning on adding such a feature soon.

Disabling it is unfortunately not possible as she lives in a remote location

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
You should post on H_C site or PM @Andy Ful - he is the master, but my initial thought is there won't even be any whitelisting involved. (y)It should work out of the box. You can set it up and forget about it. You don't want her dealing with any OSA alerts (n)and it may not function correctly with Windows feature updates. (See posts over @ Wilders for this issue. I don't know if the MT thread has posts about this).

Another option is VoodooShield set on Autopilot. It functions more like a traditional AV. And if you set it to "moderate posture", she'll probably never hear a "peep" from it. WD and VS (with suggested setup) is another perfect option. (y)

If she was slightly more advanced a user I’d go with HC but for this specific user I’m looking for something else - but agreed re HC, it’s great

If OSA and Windows updates have issues from time to time, then I’ll need to pass on OSA

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If you get her VS Pro, you can tweak it even more. You can block all of those Windows nasties manually like VBS
Though WD’s ASR is probably too good to pass and I may end up with Hardened Defender + SysHardener

Go for it, and you're done. And if she installs stuff at all, add RunBySmartScreen. Honestly, this is a setup you'll never have to think about, and she'll not run into problems. Probably WD + ConfigureDefender + RunBySmartSceen is all she really needs. Rest easy, my friend! :sleep::)

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
In my experience, OSA 1.4.2 did not uninstall cleanly and in fact left behind two drivers in system32/drivers. After a lot of problems with OSA stopping unexpectedly, I manually deleted the leftovers and re-reinstalled it, now testing and hoping I can keep it.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.