Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Ostraq
  • Enable SmartScreen to prevent unwanted or unknown files from executing
  • With Kaspersky (& Application Control enabled), you do NOT need real-time protection from Zemana. You may however keep Identity protection ON
  • Suggest you to remove Avast IS. Both active OR not, two AVs installed on one system is never a good thought. If not conflicts, it can degrade performance and stabiity at critical times.
  • You already have HerdProtect & more for on-demand PC scanning. You can thus remove Avast & add Emsisoft Emergency Kit (has Bitdefender engine) if you really need a good on-demand scanner for scanning large data (in place of Avast)
  • Consider adding "HTTPS Everywhere" to your browser

Last edited:

Ostraq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2017
Enabling SmartScreen is Smart choice, yet I choose not to have it enabled (I know, NOT so smart).
I like Zemana's Antilogger. Since I have their lifetime license on this machine - why not to use it, right?
Avast working in "Passive Mode" did not cause a single problem in the last year I've been using it. I guess stability and performance are not an issue anymore.
I already use CCE and EEK, just didn't want to add them here, since the stuff I've already mentioned sound as "too much".
Yup - "HTTPS Everywhere" is a good idea

Reactions: hd35

Ostraq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2017
NO they DO NOT - there is passive mode in Avast, you might check it up it is reasonably new thing

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Avast IS is really unnecessary with KIS 2017.
KIS also has a virtual keyboard so I might consider using ZAL as an on demand in place of Avast IS.
Enable Smartscreen.
What Browser are you using?
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: brambedkar59

Ostraq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2017
- AVAST IS - I got it for free - so why not using it
- Comodo Ice Dragon

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@Ostraq A good decision to use a Local account instead of Admin.
I think you are confusing Local account with Standard User Account(SUA). A local account can be either SUA or Admin account and also a SUA can be Local account or a Microsoft account.

All good suggestions have already been given.
Thanks for sharing your config:)

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I think you are confusing Local account with Standard User Account(SUA). A local account can be either SUA or Admin account and also a SUA can be Local account or a Microsoft account.
Yes! I did mix that, my bad. Thanks for pointing out, changes made.

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
What I would suggest doing is first:
  • Enable SmartScreen (as everybody else in this thread has suggested)
  • Remove Zemana Anti-logger, KIS already has Secure Data Input
  • Do not use Avast IS as a second-opinion scanner, it can cause conflict with KIS and you already have many good secondary scanners.
  • Get HTTPS Everywhere and install Kaspersky Protection.
Thank you for sharing your config! (◕‿◕)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I thought I had seen it all, but then I read this thread..

You got Avast Internet Security for FREE, does not mean you need to install it. Pick one, not both.

Avast's Passive Mode is makes any proactive protection redundant.
Passive Mode disables all active protection, such as shields and Firewall, so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections. In Passive Mode, Avast receives all virus definition and program updates which allow you to manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however Avast does not actively protect you.
- Avast FAQ | Avast Antivirus: Using Passive Mode

Use Periodic scanning with Windows Defender instead.
upload_2017-6-13_19-29-32.png
Optional, but still better than running 2 internet suites.

Another thought, why not install Avast Internet Security on another PC?

Last edited:

Ostraq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2017
I already have another security solution on my 2nd PC - this Avast license licence is date limited so I decided to use it just in order to test the suite and also not to let it go to waste. Personally I dislike Windows defender so I do not use it. Avast is there in passive mode serving as a quick 2nd opinion scanner. I don't understand why everyone is talking about incompatibility or interference if you did not experience it personally?? Spawns quote indeed explains it all,
as I said I had no problems with two of these what so ever.

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Just because you can you something doesn't mean that you should use something. Using Avast as a second opinion scanner will just weigh down you computer because you already many good second opinion scanners that can and will pick up on everything that Avast will. Like Spawn said, a good idea is to install Avast on another computer instead of weighing down your current computer with 5 or more second opinion scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.