Last updated
Oct 28, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 12 Monterey
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
XProtect
GateKeeper
Firewall security
Built-in Firewall for Mac/Linux
About custom security
Full disc encryption
Disabled automatic login
Only apps from App Store and identified developers are allowed
Safari Automatic HTTPS Upgrade
Periodic malware scanners
none
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Safari
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe
Password manager
1Password
Maintenance tools
AppCleaner
Clean Me
File and Photo backup
iCloud
System recovery
Time Machine
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Apple MacBook Air

CPU: M1 8C-CPU & 7C-GPU
GPU: Apple M-1 7-core
RAM: Apple M-1 8GB
STORAGE: 256GB Flash Drive
Notable changes
28/10 - updated OS version to the most recent one
12/04 - changed backup to automatic
29/03 - removed Brave
04/03 - added Brave
21/02 - added 2 maintenance apps: AppCleaner and Clean Me
14/01 - Enabled Automatic HTTPS Upgrade in Safari
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you using Rosetta 2 for any apps? If so, how is the performance of these apps?

Was just wondering - is there any advantage of using 3rd party web browser over Safari?
As a general rule, I would avoid Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome on macOS. I do use Brave browser alongside Safari. Safari needs third-party extensions such as Adguard for blocking Ads, with Brave it's integrated.

• +Reputation
Reactions: JB007 and Venustus

PR0X

Apr 2, 2016
Are you using Rosetta 2 for any apps? If so, how is the performance of these apps?

As a general rule, I would avoid Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome on macOS. I do use Brave browser alongside Safari. Safari needs third-party extensions such as Adguard for blocking Ads, with Brave it's integrated.
The only reason why I use Chrome on my Mac is because of the variety of extensions that I use with Chrome. Safari has none and it's honestly so frustrating. Wish there was a way to install Chrome extensions in Safari.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

The only apps that run through Rosetta2 is 1Password - no performance issues so far.
And I am also loving back Brave ;)

mitharogers

Jan 12, 2021
Was just wondering - is there any advantage of using 3rd party web browser over Safari?
From what I've read Chromium browsers are probably more secure, but I don’t know anything about Safari/WebKit so I can’t say how much of an improvement it might be. I’m not a Mac user but I am thinking of getting an ARM MacBook as well. I’m thinking I'll use Brave since it inherits the security features of Chromium but with less Google telemetry and with decent anti-fingerprinting, but I won’t know how well it runs until I use it.

Reactions: Venustus

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
From what I've read Chromium browsers are probably more secure, but I don’t know anything about Safari/WebKit so I can’t say how much of an improvement it might be. I’m not a Mac user but I am thinking of getting an ARM MacBook as well. I’m thinking I'll use Brave since it inherits the security features of Chromium but with less Google telemetry and with decent anti-fingerprinting, but I won’t know how well it runs until I use it.
I can tell you - Brave is great browser but it impacts battery life noticeably.
While using Safari for my normal browsing activities I need to charge once in two sometimes 3 days but when I do the same tasks with Brave I need to charge daily.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Safari doesn't include Google tracking.
Apple's browser is one of best secured and native included so all third party browser will increase your attack surface a lot.

The M1 is best secured device yet but if you can wait until fall, wait for M2.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.