Advice Request Paid VPN or Anti Virus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Would you rather spend your money on a VPN service or Anti Virus?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Aforementioned, both are good and worth paying for. If your actual wallet only allows you to pay for one, i'd pay for a good, reliable, fast VPN, and use a free good alternative for antivirus software like Avast tweaked for maximum security.

Else, Linux :)

grumpy_joe

Level 1
Verified
Oct 18, 2017
I personally see the value of a VPN to be considerably more desirable given the advance in default security of Windows (fully up to date and patched), MAC, Linux, IOS and even Android who has good free options.

However, I'm currently a paid AV subscriber and a VPN subscriber because I don't trust Windows Defender on some partners computers. (NORMIES)

The untold reason people actually want VPN would be:
more privacy (hide your IP from certain organizations or people)
access content which ISPs like to block (you could use free VPN for that but than you lose privacy)

The told reason people actually want VPN would be:
access internal networks externally (in some cases. Mainly for company use)
encryption

AV's job on the other hand is to stop virus before the patch comes out.
If your system is up to date and still supported by the vendor you are most likely not in need of antivirus. Just trust bare minimum of the websites.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
You mean you cannot trust free Windscribe VPN and free ProtonVPN?

:rolleyes:
Both protonVPN and Windscribe VPN separate their free users into specific "free" servers, and therefore their IP addresses are more likely to be blacklisted as compared to other paid servers. This doesn't really affect your privacy but you'll definitely run into some issues in the long run

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, do not forget that Opera comes with unlimited VPN and that with some complement like WebRTC Leak Prevent, it would be a very good option, free. Greetings, friends.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
50 % vote lol
Because many of us use a combo of both, not many seasoned members here will forsake a VPN or Security software for the other.
It's like asking what leg I want cut off, left or right ? ... I say keep both.
The "Either Or" option is not a healthy one. For example I run Security software "and" AirVPN.
I bet more would vote if the options were a little more realistic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.