Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Hello there everyone,

I'm actually on Kaspersky Antivirus v2016, and i was wishing to go to the freeware side. But i definitly do not want to sacrifice security. Does Panda offer same or even better security than Kaspersky, or shall i rather stay where i am?

Any opinions are welcome.. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Jrs30 and Venustus
H

hjlbx

Kaspersky has a long established trend of offering solid protection.

The downside to Kaspersky is:

1. Can be resource intensive on some systems
2. Includes features you do not need
3. Will allow installation of digitally signed potentially unwanted applications (PUAs)
4. Certain setting combinations can cause mischief

For typical use, Kaspersky is solid base-line protection.

If you want a full-featured security suite, then Kaspersky is arguably the best.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hello there everyone,

I'm actually on Kaspersky Antivirus v2016, and i was wishing to go to the freeware side. But i definitly do not want to sacrifice security. Does Panda offer same or even better security than Kaspersky, or shall i rather stay where i am?

Any opinions are welcome.. Thanks in advance
Are You talking about KAV2016 o KIS2016?.

KAV does not have HIPS (Application Control + FireWall), and other protections modules/features...

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What is the difference between Trusted & Low Restricted?

By default, the restrictions for trust categories are as follows:

• Trusted—no limitations
  • Low Restricted—everything is allowed except for building into operating system modules
  • High Restricted—interaction with operating system modules and other programs are prohibited. A program is allowed to work only with its own segment of system memory
  • Untrusted—a program is prohibited even from starting
Application Privilege Control

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
But we now know that application control for applications started before Kaspersky, even setting this to untrusted doesn't work.

Between the two - Kaspersky.

Reactions: Morvotron

Rajat

Level 2
Verified
Oct 20, 2015
Kaspersky beats Panda in almost every Section. They've got better signatures, 2016 version is lite enough, Restriction based system that can be further modified & also a nice firewall.

Reactions: Morvotron

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Kaspersky beats Panda in almost every Section. They've got better signatures, 2016 version is lite enough, Restriction based system that can be further modified & also a nice firewall.

So, if i want a better detection rate and online protection, i should go with Kaspersky?

Rajat

Level 2
Verified
Oct 20, 2015
So, if i want a better detection rate and online protection, i should go with Kaspersky?
Yeah of course you can but you'll have to Pay for Kaspersky while on the other hand Panda is Free. However they've released a free version but that's only available in Russia(not a complete info. about it though).

Last edited:

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Well, i told myself i should try Panda before giving it a no, so i paused every Kaspersky protection module and downloaded Panda.

I download around 50-60 malware samples and scanned with both softwares. Kaspersky missed two, Panda missed all of them. Nice experience.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There is currently no Freeware version of Kaspersky, except for Chinese and Russian users - beta version.

Kaspersky has plenty of features and proactive technologies, but if you are the common user, that solely relies on it's virus definitions and cloud. I don't see why you shouldn't try some free alternatives.

There are many to choose from, if you have a VM, you can trial run them to see what you prefer.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Kaspersky of course!
great HIPs, new version of Kaspersky really light,proactive protection of Kaspersky is great...
Panad is free, Kaspersky has free version..,
in compare between two software i go with Kaspersky :)

Reactions: Parsh and Morvotron

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Why did you consider only panda as a Free option? @Morvotron
Because every time i tested any other free product (don't mention 360 Total Security, i loved that software until i found out they actually scored high on famous labs cause of optimizing their product and uploading a total different version) i got extremely dissapointed. Say AVG, Avast!, MSE..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.