Sep 9, 2013
panda sucks anyway because their av can't even protect a pc from a rootkit

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I find it hard to believe nobody cares, since we're all here discussing this.
I am just saying that commercials on TV lies you all the day all the time and "Nobody Cares", because it's normal or it is not?
It's just a commercial, should not be taken for granted and discussion about it just proves that they succeeded in their intent...

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I got your point, Bora, I just ain't ok with lies. If lies are normal for you, they're not for me. They may be common, that's one thing, but that doesn't make them right. If you think injustices are justified by their numbers, then let viruses loose on your PC, they deserve it because there's so many of them. Right?

And, believe me, most people will agree with me. People who don't care about such ads are probably too busy to think about it, but if you ask them, "Hey, how do you fancy some false advertising eh?", how many people will reply, "Oh, it's wonderful. I love surprises!"

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Lies are not normal to me too. And for those commercials like above Consumer Protection Act should apply. But deceiving people through television or any other media is taking root in essence, a lie that directly affect our lives and no one cares about it. Nobody cares about many more important lies and you will care about Panda's promising that their detection is 100% :)
You know that's not true, so why giving so much importance to those stuff that shouldn't be important to you. We are living in the world of lies and you cannot change it. In my country some stupid reality shows are poisoning people minds. And as everybody are discussing about them ( even discuss about how bad they are), they will exist. When people stops talking about them they will be shut down. And not implying that you should care about that stuff. There are more important things to fight for. That's my opinion. And I respect yours. Didn't mean to offend you or anything similar. Maybe just talking about that with some passion that's all.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
It's ok Bora, I like this conversation.

Of course there are more important things than an antivirus' false ad. The point is in principle, do we allow, do we condone such things? Like you said, many people allowed themselves to get poisoned. So what do the people that actually see the dangers of such poisons do, just sit and watch the world burn? Of course everyone's got a choice. I'm not giving "so much" importance to this. Apparently caring at all is "too much importance", and the right amount of importance one should give is zero, just because there are so many liars out there. You wanna know what I think? I think people who normally are quietly watching injustices will rise more and more, that stuff is happening here in Brazil, in Ukraine, in Iceland, in the USA, everywhere. We are all human, all intelligent enough to collaborate with each other to achieve common goals instead of fighting each other senselessly. The insanity is coming to an end, that end has been long coming, and it's arriving.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Agree with you, just to add that people who can change something in this world and they don't are equally fault as people who are doing harm to someone else. Today, caring about something is not virtue anymore, but disadvantage aaaand we are much off topic now :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Basically I believe their claim of 100% detection is geared to the average lay person who really doesn't know any better.The novice,facebook,twitter,youtube,shopping,email reading user.These are the people that will bite on a claim of 100% detection and some "less than accurate",if you will,AV test results.It's just a marketing ploy and I am sure that there is some fine print to that claim somewhere.One day it may very well catch one two maybe three items and if your clean after that it's 100%.We all know that nothing in the malware world is 100% but it sure sounds better than 96.5%.Thankfully we all know better but this type of advertising is everywhere in just about every type of product.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I am surprised that so many people not only shrugged this off but apparently rushed here to say it's ok for an antivirus company (or Panda at least) to make untrue claims about their products to boost sales.

There is no fine print:
http://www.pandasecurity.com/emailh...off&utm_content=EM-ES-NS-CLOUDAVPRO50OFF-2111

And if there were, it would have to contradict the ad, because it would have to state there, one way or another, that they don't offer you 24/7, 100% detection against all threats as the ad is implying or "suggesting". It would be perhaps excusable only if they had actually gotten 100%* on a test and then said "*Score achieved in the Sososo test". That is not the case. It would still be dishonest to imply that they offer "100% detection rates like no other product" even so. The only honest thing to do would be to advertise the actual results they got, and that's the only thing a community of users and experts alike should accept.

Reactions: Neiltullio

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you prefer the facts, see their blog post (October 2013):
http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2013/10/29/new-panda-cloud-antivirus-2-3-100-protection/

Also change the Month to October 2013, Panda (Kaspersky and Trend Micro) have 100% rates, from the AV-C tests.
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

At the end of the day, it's marketing and advertising their achievements from the October tests - especially for those who take AV Testing sites seriously.

N.B. In the newsletter, their Source is linked to AV-Comparatives website.

Off-topic: Panda is an above average product, but I don't use their products due to performance issues.

Reactions: Exterminator

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Haha. You think bad advertisement is good advertisement? I don't. Why am I the one "taking this seriously", and not others who came here to basically defend this bad practice?

Anyways, this Comodo page does say the 100% comes from a specific test, even though they do repeat that they give you 100% protection, it is clear for anyone reading this page that the claim is "100% protection achieved on a specific test". It opens by saying "Comodo Earns the Only 100% Protection Rating among Free Security Providers by AV-Test.org" and ends with "To download the complete Internet suite with 100% protection scores, visit:..." so the text is clearly linking the 100% with the specific test. The Panda ad on the other hand offers only a link to the source, and the text itself implies "100% detection rates", period, which is a lot more expressive than "100% score on a certain test".

I'm not defending Comodo, nor attacking Panda. If you find me a Comodo ad styled like this Panda one, I'll disapprove of it the same way; if Panda create honest ads, I'll have no more to say except compliment them.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I am surprised that so many people not only shrugged this off but apparently rushed here to say it's ok for an antivirus company.
Marketing/advertising was created for the sole purpose to capture the attention of a target audience. In general, it tends to be a mix of truths, or half truths, with a generous dose of hyperbole. Panda had a run over a few months where it achieved 100% effectiveness against the samples used for those particular tests. And as any company would, they are trying to capitalize on those results. Marketing was that way before you came into being, and no doubt will be that way long after you are gone. Since you already know that no security solution is 100% foolproof, no matter how state of the art, you must enjoy flogging the proverbial dead horse with a futility stick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Umbra Total Security is the best solution, we have 110% at ipaymytest.com, we dont just protect you from ALL existing malwares but even those not created yet

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
There is a difference between getting someone's attention, and using half-truths or lies to achieve that.

If you really believed it made no difference, why would you come here in the first place?

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I think the ad works, it gets attention and people talk about it and a lot might come away saying it's really not 100% but it's very good maybe I will check it out, so I don't think it hurts them in the end. Not saying I agree with the tactic but I think it works, it's advertising.

Reactions: BoraMurdar and Ink

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
If you really believed it made no difference, why would you come here in the first place?

One reason I use forums like this one is so I can balance user feedback with developers' assertions.[/quote]

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I don't like this kind of advertisement, for me it only works against the company when people actually check the facts, read opinions, etc, and see it's not like in the ad; at least that's how I react. Why do they need to exaggerate the truth if they are really good? I think that question may pop into the mind of many people.

And what of those that don't know or care about the technicalities, the ones that believe Panda's statement? Would you like to be treated like that?? Let's say you buy an antiseptic that kills 100% of germs, and you use it trustingly... you know the drill, when you or someone you care about gets infected because the antiseptic isn't really 100% effective all the time, it just got 100% in a test (but you didn't know about it), how would you feel? Would the phrase "Wow, that ad was really effective!" be the first thing on your mind?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I don't like this kind of advertisement, for me it only works against the company when people actually check the facts, read opinions, etc, and see it's not like in the ad; at least that's how I react. Why do they need to exaggerate the truth if they are really good? I think that question may pop into the mind of many people.

And what of those that don't know or care about the technicalities, the ones that believe Panda's statement? Would you like to be treated like that?? Let's say you buy an antiseptic that kills 100% of germs, and you use it trustingly... you know the drill, when you or someone you care about gets infected because the antiseptic isn't really 100% effective all the time, it just got 100% in a test (but you didn't know about it), how would you feel? Would the phrase "Wow, that ad was really effective!" be the first thing on your mind?

Ok first of all buddy the following comments are NOT geared to flame you.
But i did take the trouble to read your comments, and NONE of them even come close to reality.
Admin Earth did make a effort to explain some things and others did as well.

And what of those that don't know or care about the technicalities
That means you are NOT qualified to make statements and objective comments if you are not prepared to understand how what and why.

infected because the antiseptic isn't really 100% effective all the time, it just got 100% in a test
This is a MOMENT snap shot and does not reflect the other 200k malwares that are being released per hour.
So if a test proves that Panda is 100% then they can claim it.
Also people need to understand, that within the perfect config, you can achieve 100% detection.. however every little change that diverts from a perfect setting makes the effectiveness go down.
Usually its not the error of a AV engine for not detecting a malware, but individual user settings that override internal protocols that save guard you against malware. (Yes even most new ones)

I agree to the fact that Panda should not advertise with 100% but fact is everyone is doing it. And technically they are right to do so.
Anyway take my advise spend some time on the forums and read up. A whole world will open up for you.
Cheers m8

panda sucks anyway because their av can't even protect a pc from a rootkit
Omg... and this rootkit just got emailed into your system? You never clicked anything and you obviously never ever did anything that would be regarded as unsafe? Sure panda cannot protect you against a rootkit ...you got to be kidding me.
May i remind you there where one of the first to actually detect and remove rootkits?? May i remind you that 75% of all rootkit scanners out there are pretty much thanks to Pandas efforts?

Reactions: Gnosis
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.