Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro Edition VS Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+

  • Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro Edition

    Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Total voters
    37
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

I have only tried Panda Cloud and it was the free version but curious to see Trend Micro results against Panda Cloud in a face off.

Care to provide the TM link?
 

windowsdefender

New Member
Biozfear said:
I have only tried Panda Cloud and it was the free version but curious to see Trend Micro results against Panda Cloud in a face off.

Care to provide the TM link?
You can get a 30 day trial at http://downloadcenter.trendmicro.com/index.php?regs=NABU&clk=latest&clkval=3773&lang_loc=1
 

McLovin

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
I would say Trend Micro for a couple of reason. One because I have used it before and have not really used Panda. One thing I like about Panda though is the amount that it uses, in one of the threads here on the forum I see that it uses 560K which is quite good compared to Trend which is sitting on 30MB idle and running and working 70MB. Another reason for Trend because of it's web guard, out of all the web guards that I have tested Trend Micro has come out on top. Plus the new Beta looks great and can't wait till it's released.

But this is basing on the Panda Cloud Free, not the paid, if it was for the paid I would have to test them both.
 
I would say Panda Cloud Free. But I'm not a fan on cloud AVs because without Internet then you only have the user interface.
 

McLovin

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Malware Maniac said:
I would say Panda Cloud Free. But I'm not a fan on cloud AVs because without Internet then you only have the user interface.
Well you have the other features, but they won't work correctly. That is what every AV company I think is going to do in the future.
 
D

Deleted member 178

Malware Maniac said:
I would say Panda Cloud Free. But I'm not a fan on cloud AVs because without Internet then you only have the user interface.
Panda and most Cloud AV (Webroot SA, etc...) have a local signature database (cached or not). If cut from internet you will miss just the very recent signatures that may be added after your connection cut and its detection will be lowered.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1893778&postcount=124

Cloud-based antivirus do not protect while offline
While this might be true of some cloud-based antivirus implementations, in the case of Panda Cloud Antivirus it is not true. Panda Cloud Antivirus has a local cached copy of the Collective Intelligence cloud servers. This local cache is tasked with detecting (even while not connected to the Internet) malware that is in the wild, non-PE malware and other threats. Unlike traditional signature updates, this local cache update is a “moving target” of what the community sees as circulating out there in the wild. Therefore it is able to efficiently protect against the important threats. This local cache does not protect against Win98 or DOS viruses or even malware that is dead or not circulating anymore. That is why the community aspect of Panda Cloud Antivirus is so important as, the more people use it, the better protection it offers.
UPDATE: Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1 includes 4 additional new layers of offline protection: 2 behavioural engines (blocking & runtime analysis), autorun disabling and USB vaccination
source: http://research.pandasecurity.com/arguments-against-cloud-based-antivirus/

Please, check your infos before stating.

thanks :D
 

malbky

New Member
Umbra I agree with Malware Maniac. It just has a cached copy of few important signatures. Suppose when I am offline I plug a USB with some old threats I am at the danger of getting infected. Also the Pandas local copy of signatures depends on the users inputs too. So if USA users are more the cached copy will contain more sigs for viruses in the wild in USA which may not be the same list of viruses which are in wild in another part of the world. It can be although used as a second defense AV. It will be simple mater for a relatively new AV to just disconnect the internet acess leaving the user vulnerable.
 
P

Plexx

I suppose in the next few days ill grab a copy of each version and give it a test run on both with default settings to see how they work out of the box for the user who will install and forget.

To note, Panda free does use barely no memory. The URL filter is good as always, only problem is the toolbar which I believe 80% of the users remove it.

If there arent any text reviews about these 2 products ill make it after a few days, since I was planning on exploring the panda cloud av beta anyway.
 
D

Deleted member 178

malbky said:
Umbra I agree with Malware Maniac. It just has a cached copy of few important signatures. Suppose when I am offline I plug a USB with some old threats I am at the danger of getting infected.
Panda pro has a USB Vaccine feature.
My USB protection layer : Bit Defender USB immunizer, MC shield
Worthy isn't it ? :D

and you still have your on-demand scanners

Also the Pandas local copy of signatures depends on the users inputs too. So if USA users are more the cached copy will contain more sigs for viruses in the wild in USA which may not be the same list of viruses which are in wild in another part of the world.
Im sure the chances that you are in USA, have a disconnection, teleport yourself suddenly in Russia, keep yourself offline , plug an infected usb on your system without scanning it with your other scanners are very few. :D

Of course with any AV you have the "worst scenario"


It will be simple mater for a relatively new AV to just disconnect the internet acess leaving the user vulnerable.
Why they should do that?
 

notorious_rn

New Member
i had tried trendmicro before as pccillin antivirus yet my computer got infected in just a week never tried it again.

i choose panda cloud between the two AV but for panda cloud it needs to improve on its prevention and removal.

for trendmicro i will try it may be to be sure if its improves a lot and i might change my mind about trendmicro...
 

malbky

New Member
umbrapolaris said:
malbky said:
Umbra I agree with Malware Maniac. It just has a cached copy of few important signatures. Suppose when I am offline I plug a USB with some old threats I am at the danger of getting infected.
Panda pro has a USB Vaccine feature.

Worthy isn't it ? :D

and you still have your on-demand scanners

My USB protection layer : Bit Defender USB immunizer, MC shield
The USB vaccine does not prevent viruses from copying into the USB i suppose, it just prevents autorun to be modified. Also point is that we are comparing the protection offered by the product. On demand engines wont prevent an infection, they will find and remove one thats it.
Also the Pandas local copy of signatures depends on the users inputs too. So if USA users are more the cached copy will contain more sigs for viruses in the wild in USA which may not be the same list of viruses which are in wild in another part of the world.
Im sure the chances that you are in USA, have a disconnection, teleport yourself suddenly in Russia, keep yourself offline , plug an infected usb on your system without scanning it with your other scanners are very few. :D

Of course with any AV you have the "worst scenario"
What I mean to say is that Us viruses will be on the list when compared to Indian Viruses, so it decreases my protection.

It will be simple mater for a relatively new AV to just disconnect the internet acess leaving the user vulnerable.
Why they should do that?
I did not mean AV my fault. I mean a virus.
 

Tobi

New Member
malbky said:
The USB vaccine does not prevent viruses from copying into the USB i suppose, it just prevents autorun to be modified. Also point is that we are comparing the protection offered by the product. On demand engines wont prevent an infection, they will find and remove one thats it.
They work by preventing a USB from utilizing autorun (autorun feature allows a USB to run automatically once connected). Then the rest is left to the realtime component of your AV.

malbky said:
Also the Pandas local copy of signatures depends on the users inputs too. So if USA users are more the cached copy will contain more sigs for viruses in the wild in USA which may not be the same list of viruses which are in wild in another part of the world.
No. The local cache is not region-specific and it also depends on what wild things the big Pandas find.
 

spleentechie

New Member
I personally prefer Panda anti-virus. Second in awesomeness of name only to Avast! Panda is a solid anti-virus(though I personally don't like cloud AVs because I have spotty internet connection because I use a 20 dollar wireless adapter). Trend micro is decent, but uses 94 megabytes of ram and uses five processes which is pretty steep. Though Panda isn't much better with around 10 processes which is also steep. In conclusion I am sorry too have confused you, but I go with Panda because in my opinion a cloud AV is supposed to be light and fast and Panda is better in those categories.
 
P

Plexx

spleentechie said:
I personally prefer Panda anti-virus. Second in awesomeness of name only to Avast! Panda is a solid anti-virus(though I personally don't like cloud AVs because I have spotty internet connection because I use a 20 dollar wireless adapter). Trend micro is decent, but uses 94 megabytes of ram and uses five processes which is pretty steep. Though Panda isn't much better with around 10 processes which is also steep. In conclusion I am sorry too have confused you, but I go with Panda because in my opinion a cloud AV is supposed to be light and fast and Panda is better in those categories.
According to my reviews:
Trend Micro uses 3 processes and less than 30mb ram: Review

Panda Cloud Pro does have signatures too, but instead of reviewing PCP, I went Panda Antivirus Pro: 3 processes less than 15mb ram: Review

Have a look or test it before saying the amount of RAM and processes as the info you have provided is not accurate.
 

McLovin

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
spleentechie said:
Trend micro is decent, but uses 94 megabytes of ram and uses five processes which is pretty steep.


It also depends on how good your specs are on how it performs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.