Panda Vs Kaspersky Vs Norton

lolmit

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 22, 2017
Hey guys :) ,
About two months ago i purchase panda internet security and before i was think over about kaspersky or norton internet security.
In the end i decide to go with panda internet security because i found a good deal for ( i think about 25 USD).
I will be glad to know if i did the right choice? for know how to act from now on, i am little disappointed that the panda doesn't support my local language (hebrew) and the norton does.
I am using Windows 10 pro.

Reactions: shmu26 and bribon77

lolmit

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 22, 2017
kaspersky is my obvious choice
I had problems with panda and norton. more serious problems with Panda than norton

norton is the first and only AV that made my PC infected due to the the poor USB protection
for your information, a friend in MT told me that his company were infected by nonpetya while protected by Norton Endpoint security. It was a real world situation that symantec product failed to protect. Any claim that norton/symantec can protect should be verified again

similarly to avira free which failed to protect against wannacry and they claimed their products detected wannacry 2 months before the outbreak
Which problems you had with panda?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Which problems you had with panda?
it heavily relies on cloud so the offline protection will be not good
it locked up my VM as soon as I executed a malware, ~20 seconds after, I could execute the next malware -> locked for 20 seconds -> ...
the behavior blocker was weak which was close to non-existent
signatures were not the best
extremely slow upload speed. Scanned a folder of ~660 malwares. After 2 hours, ~220 files were scanned -> must have stopped the test cuz I couldn't wait for the next 3-4 hours
I tried to executed a few samples and there was what I mentioned above. The system was heavily infected by ransomwares
the web filter module was more like a PUP and it slowed down browsing speed

basically, horrible especially the scanning speed

Last edited:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

Kaspersky!

For Panda and Norton take a look at this:
undefined

Reactions: Fritz
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Avoid Norton, like the plague. Seriously. Once again, we see the most infections on Norton systems by far.

I personally like Panda better than Kaspersky because it's very lightweight and has a very nice firewall. But Kaspersky is awesome too. So preference is really what's left. I personally felt Kaspersky to be a little heavier on systems and I don't really trust Russian products like I used to. Personal preference there once again.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shalom Aleichem,
Yes, Panda is not bad at all, but keep in mind that as a cloud-based antivirus, it has strong protection only when your internet connection is working.

Norton Security is a very good product, especially if you want to just install and then forget about it. (no headache)

If you want to maximize your security, then Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) is the best of the three, especially if you "tweak" the settings a little.
You can get very good deals for a KIS license on Ebay (I bought one on Ebay from "mashmid", an Israeli). You can find a license for cheap, for the last year's edition, and it will still be good for the new edition, because Kaspersky lets you go 3 years forward or 1 year backward, with your license.

Just an idea: you can greatly improve your security by adding a free security app on top of your antivirus. For instance, VoodooShield is a good choice, although there are others, too. This method of combining two (or more) security apps is very popular on this forum, and can be a very effective way to achieve a high level of security. But it takes a little time and thought to do it right. The folks on this forum will be more than happy to help you, if you want to go that way. בהצלחה

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Avoid Norton, like the plague. Seriously. Once again, we see the most infections on Norton systems by far.

I personally like Panda better than Kaspersky because it's very lightweight and has a very nice firewall. But Kaspersky is awesome too. So preference is really what's left. I personally felt Kaspersky to be a little heavier on systems and I don't really trust Russian products like I used to. Personal preference there once again.
I seriously find it hard to believe a Norton protected system got infected more than a Panda protected one...

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
If don't care about system resource usage and protection is all that matters, go for Kaspersky. Never used it myself though, but results on malware tests says enough.
Norton is a great choice too. Quite light and good overall protection. I had some issues with Norton though, like problems connecting to their servers to activate a license. It's sometimes also a bit slow on certain systems, but still a solid choice. I really like their Sonar technology too.
If you want to use as low ram as possible, Panda is the way to go. The detection might be slighty less though (although it really depends on what types of malware you throw at it), but the website protection is really good. If you have pro or internet security, you might use their application control and ransomware shield too, depending on how many control you want yourself when executing files. The strong cloud usage, might use some bandwith, which might be a downside of Panda.
All of them have pro's and cons, just pick the ones you find that have the best aspects in your case.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
If don't care about system resource usage and protection is all that matters, go for Kaspersky. Never used it myself though, but results on malware tests says enough.
Norton is a great choice too. Quite light and good overall protection. I had some issues with Norton though, like problems connecting to their servers to activate a license. It's sometimes also a bit slow on certain systems, but still a solid choice. I really like their Sonar technology too.
If you want to use as low ram as possible, Panda is the way to go. The detection might be slighty less though (although it really depends on what types of malware you throw at it), but the website protection is really good. If you have pro or internet security, you might use their application control and ransomware shield too, depending on how many control you want yourself when executing files. The strong cloud usage, might use some bandwith, which might be a downside of Panda.
All of them have pro's and cons, just pick the ones you find that have the best aspects in your case.
installed Kaspersky Cloud on my weak i5 notebook the other day, light as a feather imo. People associate Kaspersky with resource hogging cause of the past.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I seriously find it hard to believe a Norton protected system got infected more than a Panda protected one...
It might have to do with the users, rather than the AV itself.
ISPs offer Norton to customers, and for good reason, because many ignorant people recall it as a top name 10-15 years ago.
But a Panda user most likely made a proactive choice, which shows a higher level of security awareness.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
It might have to do with the users, rather than the AV itself.
ISPs offer Norton to customers, and for good reason, because many ignorant people recall it as a top name 10-15 years ago.
But a Panda user most likely made a proactive choice, which shows a higher level of security awareness.
if you consider a Panda user proactive, then ...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
installed Kaspersky Cloud on my weak i5 notebook the other day, light as a feather imo. People associate Kaspersky with resource hogging cause of the past.

Quite true... I stopped using Kaspersky around 2012/2013 because it slowed my system to a crawl... but from 2016 version on I can't even notice it's installed. I feel no impact on computer use or browsing. Now they just have to improve the speed of their scans...The initial full scan of my computer took over 3 hours... Fortunately I don't have to do another one :)

Reactions: mekelek
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

if you consider a Panda user proactive, then ...

That's not what he is saying. He is saying there could be statistics that could indicate a Panda user is a more proactive and aware user. While the average Norton user is probably not because of how Norton is promoted, pre-installed in some cases, and thought of among the average joe. While most don't have much if any awareness of Panda. Thus, the Panda user might be slightly more discerning/aware/proactive. This would create a statistics bias in favor of Panda. Good point!

Reactions: shmu26 and mlnevese

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That's not what he is saying. He is saying there could be statistics that could indicate a Panda user is a more proactive and aware user. While the average Norton user is probably not because of how Norton is promoted, pre-installed in some cases, and thought of among the average joe. While most don't have much if any awareness of Panda. Thus, the Panda user might be slightly more discerning/aware/proactive. This would create a statistics bias in favor of Panda. Good point!
Well said.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
In many cases in life dear robo things go that way...It's like; why you sign up MT when you have already get infected or in real life, why do you ask help when you have already poo in your pants...& People are also greedy, when you got some 5% discount they buy it, no matter what.

Reactions: RoboMan

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
In many cases in life dear robo things go that way...It's like; why you sign up MT when you have already get infected or in real life, why do you ask help when you have already poo in your pants...& People are also greedy, when you got some 5% discount they buy it, no matter what.
i dont know but i always do my research before buying even if it's 95% discounted...
you just described dumb people.

Reactions: Fritz and RoboMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.