Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017

As promised, here are the incoming rules:

upload_2017-4-27_21-0-51.png

And outgoing rules:

upload_2017-4-27_21-2-6.png

To get to this point I started by deleting ALL the default rules after I reinstalling Windows. I then use WFC to stop apps auto creating rules on their own (ie: without my consent).

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
As promised, here are the incoming rules:

View attachment 147986

And outgoing rules:

View attachment 147987

To get to this point I started by deleting ALL the default rules after I reinstalling Windows. I then use WFC to stop apps auto creating rules on their own (ie: without my consent).
Thanks for sharing your firewall rules. I like the idea of starting from scratch and then creating only the rules that are absolutely necessary.
I will do the same as you when I can get WFC to work properly on the latest Insider build. The author is hopefully going to look at solution in a few days.
Thank again :)

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
No problem!

It took me aaaaages to get my AppLocker and Windows Firewall Rules to this stage. In fact the entire WIndows reinstall took me about a week or so to complete but that also included formatting all my data drives for ReFS and 256bit AES encryption for Bitlocker.

I've been researching this for months and I think all the effort has paid off as this build/install/configuration is a pleasure to use so far. ;-)

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
me 3 bros. i downloaded WFC and set to medium filtering which blocked almost everything then allowed programs/processes as i needed them. and when i wasnt sure, i just googled them to find out if they were safe or not

Reactions: askmark and frogboy

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm really pleased with WFC. It's the only third party security software I have installed on the machine so far. It's a fantastic front end to the built in Windows Firewall. I really like the connection log, it makes troubleshooting MUCH easier than reading the firewall log in notepad!

So I've made some changes to my AppLocker Microsoft exception Publisher Rules. I have now added the following so that they cannot run:

• odbcconf.exe
  • sdbinst.exe
I've been thinking about adding regedit.exe to my exception list too so that my SUA can't run the Registry Editor.

One thing that's worth doing is disabling Ease of access in Windows as this is such a security hole:

To disable Ease of access on login screen:

Change ownership of c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe to Administrators
cacls c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone
cacls c:\windows\syswow64\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone

The next thing I am considering for my secure build is to block/restrict removable devices/drives use Local Group Policy. More on that a bit later ;-)

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I'm really pleased with WFC. It's the only third party security software I have installed on the machine so far. It's a fantastic front end to the built in Windows Firewall. I really like the connection log, it makes troubleshooting MUCH easier than reading the firewall log in notepad!

So I've made some changes to my AppLocker Microsoft exception Publisher Rules. I have now added the following so that they cannot run:

• odbcconf.exe
  • sdbinst.exe
I've been thinking about adding regedit.exe to my exception list too so that my SUA can't run the Registry Editor.

One thing that's worth doing is disabling Ease of access in Windows as this is such a security hole:

To disable Ease of access on login screen:

Change ownership of c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe to Administrators
cacls c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone
cacls c:\windows\syswow64\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone

The next thing I am considering for my secure build is to block/restrict removable devices/drives use Local Group Policy. More on that a bit later ;-)
I'm a big fan of WFC too. Just waiting for a fix for running on the latest Insider build

Really enjoying your updates. You do realise I'm going to let you do all the work and then steal your ideas?;)

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm a big fan of WFC too. Just waiting for a fix for running on the latest Insider build

Really enjoying your updates. You do realise I'm going to let you do all the work and then steal your ideas?;)

Hehe, I don't mind at all if you "steal" my ideas. It'll save you loads of time as my build has taken me months to research. I'm quite pedantic and fussy about what I want/like. I'm always open to ideas or things I can improve/change. I'm sure there are things I have missed or other items that can be improved.

I'll next post some of the important registry settings I changed to improve my security. Basically I made notes of my entire build from beginning until the end so I don't forget what I did. It helps with troubleshooting too.

Glad this is helping someone!

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
So some of the security registry changes I have made are as follows:

Code:
;Set SmartScreen to warn:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SmartScreenEnabled"="Prompt"

;Turn off Remote Assistance:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Remote Assistance]
"fAllowToGetHelp"=dword:00000000

;Turn UAC to max setting:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"PromptOnSecureDesktop"=dword:00000001
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000001
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000002

;Enable PUP in Defender:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MpEngine]
"MpEnablePus"=dword:00000001

;Deny elevation of unsigned executables:
"ValidateAdminCodeSignatures"=dword:00000001

;Enable Secure Sign in screen (Ctrl + Alt + Del:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DisableCAD"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DisableCAD"=-

"DisableCAD"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableCAD"=-

;Ask for user name and password at log on screen:
"dontdisplaylastusername"=dword:00000001

;Disable cmd.exe for SUA account:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"DisableCMD"=dword:00000001

Some local group policy changes:

Code:
1) Disable Network UI from login screen:
Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon: Change Do not display network selection UI to Enable

2) Disable app notifications on lock screen:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon: Change Turn off app notifications on the lock screen to Enable

I've also disabled auto play for all media and devices.

The book: "Troubleshooting with the Windows Sysinternals Tools - 2nd Edition" arrived yesterday so I have been tinkering with Process Explorer quite a bit from Sysinternals. What an amazing tool! I was keen on using it to replace Task Manager but unfortunately PE doesn't show Network IO when launched as a SUA account which is a shame. Disk IO is also not available for a SUA account. The books really good if anyone's considering it.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
@ParaXY about the reg tweaks , you should make a batch file and share it :p

It's funny you should ask :cool:

I have a .reg file I can share but it has ALL (or most) of the changes I have made to my machine. Happy to share it but it also includes non-security changes (like modifying File Explorers view to remove all the bloat).

I can post if interested?

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I copied your reg tweaks there : Windows' Security Tweaks

It's the first time I read the Windows Security Tweaks section of this forum so thanks for the link! I'm really keen on enabling the LSA Protection but nervous that you can't disable it if you have UEFI Secure Boot enabled (like I do). So how do I know if enabling this option will cause any issues for me and is there ANY way to disable it afterwards if I have problems?

I'll try posting my registry tweaks later today which include most of the changes I made to secure/customise my secure build. I used registry tweaks rather than making the changes in the local group policy as its just easier to implement.

UPDATE: So after enabling audit more for protecting the LSA process I decided to enable it for real and in Event Viewer I can now see:

upload_2017-5-1_10-36-54.png

I didn't even know this option existed until this morning so thanks for sharing this!

I also decided to block ftp.exe, cmd.exe and regedit.exe for my SUA in the Microsoft Publisher Exception rule in AppLocker.

IGMP was also disabled using:

Code:
Netsh interface ipv4 set global mldlevel=none

This is great having IGMP disabled as it was flooding my firewall logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 178

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
After tidying up my notes a bit I have attached my registry file (Windows10Customisations.txt) for (most) of the tweaks/changes I have made to my Windows 10 Enterprise setup (including some changes I made this morning). This includes security changes as well as look and feel changes. There is a brief description for each registry modification but if you are going to run this I would review the file first as I'm sure there are many settings that aren't suitable for some people/machines. I'd test it in a VM if you are interested in running this .reg file. NB: Some settings like the telemetry will only work on Enterprise versions.

I'll also include a screenshot of my "Programs and Features" so you can see what I uninstalled after installing Windows 10:

upload_2017-5-1_11-59-9.png

Guess I could remove "Windows Fax and Scan".

One change I made this morning was to enable cmd.exe again in the registry since I have an AppLocker rule to block this for my SUA account:

Code:
;Disable cmd.exe for current user:
"DisableCMD"=dword:00000000

I've also attached a batch file containing some of the services I have disabled called "Services.txt". Basically I disable the following services:

• Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
  • Windows Error Reporting
  • dmwappushservice
  • SSDP Discovery (UPnP)
  • Network Connection Broker
  • WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Rename Windows10Customisations.txt to Windows10Customisations.reg and Services.txt to Services.bat.

Attachments

• Windows10Customisations.txt
    45.9 KB · Views: 821
  • Services.txt
    686 bytes · Views: 438

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
After tidying up my notes a bit I have attached my registry file (Windows10Customisations.txt) for (most) of the tweaks/changes I have made to my Windows 10 Enterprise setup (including some changes I made this morning). This includes security changes as well as look and feel changes. There is a brief description for each registry modification but if you are going to run this I would review the file first as I'm sure there are many settings that aren't suitable for some people/machines. I'd test it in a VM if you are interested in running this .reg file. NB: Some settings like the telemetry will only work on Enterprise versions.

I'll also include a screenshot of my "Programs and Features" so you can see what I uninstalled after installing Windows 10:

View attachment 148288

Guess I could remove "Windows Fax and Scan".

One change I made this morning was to enable cmd.exe again in the registry since I have an AppLocker rule to block this for my SUA account:

Code:
;Disable cmd.exe for current user:
"DisableCMD"=dword:00000000

I've also attached a batch file containing some of the services I have disabled called "Services.txt". Basically I disable the following services:

• Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
  • Windows Error Reporting
  • dmwappushservice
  • SSDP Discovery (UPnP)
  • Network Connection Broker
  • WinHttpAutoProxySvc
Rename Windows10Customisations.txt to Windows10Customisations.reg and Services.txt to Services.bat.
Awesome! Many thanks for sharing the efforts of all your research and testing. Much appreciated :)

Reactions: frogboy

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Awesome! Many thanks for sharing the efforts of all your research and testing. Much appreciated :)

No problem! I've really enjoyed researching all this. This is the result of many months of research and reading but the results have been worth it.

I thought I'd mention a couple other items too. I use Roboform (the locally installed version, not the cloud version) as my password manager and I also use KeePass for storing passwords.

There are some interesting security options worth mentioning here for these products:

1. In KeePass in options you can enable: Enter master key on a secure desktop. Enabling this option will dim the desktop when you open KeePass and are prompted for credentials
  2. Once in KeePass click File and then Change Master Key and tick Windows user account:
upload_2017-5-1_13-11-20.png

This essentially "locks" or "restricts" access to your KeePass file/database to ONLY your Windows user account. It's worth reading up about this first before enabling as if you rebuild your machine or delete your user account you'll be locked out of your KeePass database. I took a backup of my database BEFORE enabling this option.

But the reason I *really* like this option is because, if someone logs into your machine as an admin or even another SUA account they can't open your KeePass database. They could of course reset your password if they had their own admin account but I also use a Key file to protect my database.

In Roboform I use the "Store Master Password in system protected storage":

upload_2017-5-1_13-17-53.png

With this option I don't need to enter my master password every time I need to enter a password into a website or application.

Again, if someone logs into the machine with their own account they can't open my Roboform passwords as it's tied to my user account. If someone else had admin access to your machine you wouldn't want to enable this option but since I am the only person using this machine I have enabled it as it makes things more convenient for me.

I've also found it quite useful to enable the column in task manager in the details tab called "Elevation". This allows you to see at a glance what processes are running as an admin or as your logged in account:

upload_2017-5-1_13-24-26.png

Reactions: askmark and frogboy

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
In my firewall logs I have loads of these outgoing requests being blocked:

upload_2017-5-8_7-43-26.png

Does anyone know what these are? Should I leave them blocked or allow them through the firewall?

I did a quick search online but didn't find anything helpful but these two entries seem to be flooding the logs.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
In my firewall logs I have loads of these outgoing requests being blocked:

View attachment 149456

Does anyone know what these are? Should I leave them blocked or allow them through the firewall?

I did a quick search online but didn't find anything helpful but these two entries seem to be flooding the logs.
The second one is Applocker attempting to validate the certificates of applications in the Applocker Policies.

Microsoft Windows Security | Microsoft Press Store
The service also monitors the local machine trusted root certificate store, and it invokes a user-mode task (%SystemRoot%\System32\AppIdCertStoreCheck.exe) to reverify the certificates at least once per day and whenever there is a change to the certificate store.
So I would expect this needs to be allowed.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
The second one is Applocker attempting to validate the certificates of applications in the Applocker Policies.

Microsoft Windows Security | Microsoft Press Store

So I would expect this needs to be allowed.

Aaah, many thanks for this! I came up empty handed when researching this but now that I know its for AppLocker to check the certs I have allowed it through the firewall.

Any idea what searchprotocolhost.exe is for?

Also, I have backgroundtaskhost.exe being blocked, do you know what this is used for?

And another one: C:\windows\system32\consent.exe. Is this one used when UAC is used to check certs for signed software?

Last edited:
Reactions: PCGamer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.