Is it a good configuration

• Total voters

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Guys feel free to comment and if this config has any vulnerabilities please do help me to resolve it.. Thanks :)

List of installed applications :)

Capture.JPG

List of startup items

Capture1.JPG

List of Chrome extensions
Screenshot (14).png
Screenshot (15).png

Last edited by a moderator:

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Pretty good configuration and all layers covered ;)

Why using CCleaner Professional? (since you will unlock monitoring only and other related features design for servers)

I got a free key for CCleaner and true its quite useless

I was an avid user of the following 4 :

1. 7-zip
2. CCleaner
3. Internet Download Manager
4. µ torrent

I stopped using them since they all get flagged on Virus Total.

Can you please provide me a link to it why are they flagged?
I can get y IDM and Utorrent are flagged because 1 is adware and 1 used with cracks

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Parth Dhanani, you've an impressive configuration, thank you for sharing it.:)
And yes I forgot to ask should I add Commodo Firewall or stick with windows firewall :)
Both are considered excellent for their protection, so it may be a matter of preference. Commodo requires more attention for it's settings, and while Windows does not, it does protect the system on the kernal level.

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Parth Dhanani, you've an impressive configuration, thank you for sharing it.:)

Both are considered excellent for their protection, so it may be a matter of preference. Commodo requires more attention for it's settings, and while Windows does not, it does protect the system on the kernal level.

And then I would rather stick to Windows Firewall ..
And I just had this issue with ransomware so should I use some other layer of protection for it :O

E

eight

I am seeing this for the 1st time :

Operating System : Windows 8.1 Update 3 (x86)

Architecture : 64-bit (x64)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
And then I would rather stick to Windows Firewall ..
And I just had this issue with ransomware so should I use some other layer of protection for it :O
For those times you require an extra layer of protection (to enclose the browser) one of the first tips I was granted on MT, and I still use to this day, is the free sandboxing program, Sandboxie.
(Edit) Remember, all settings & added extensions to the browser disappear when the sandbox is deleted, so changes to be kept (security updates) must be performed outside a sandbox.;)

..and for the entire system we've used Shadow Defender, though there is a free app that does essentially the same job called Time Freeze.

Last edited:

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
I am seeing this for the 1st time :

Operating System : Windows 8.1 Update 3 (x86)

Architecture : 64-bit (x64)

Yes that's because my machine runs on 2gb RAM and and 64bit Operating system slows it down a little and uses more disk space :)

For those times you require an extra layer of protection (while browsing) one of the first tips I was granted on MT, and I still use to this day, is the free sandboxing program, Sandboxie.
..and for the entire system we've used Shadow Defender, though there is a free app that does essentially the same job called Time Freeze.

Thanks Man !! :)

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
I like it .

To be perfect , just put a Linux distro on other partitions.

Great conf.

I have tried it Elementary OS , Ubuntu and Mac 10.9 but I dont use them at all and for backup operating systems or in case Windows fails I have a system backup image i restores my clean OS and its update ;) also hirens boot cd helps us well.. Less space used :D

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Are you saying your Windows 8.1 is x86 = 32 bit & your Operating System is x64 = 64 bit ?

Nope I am saying my systems processor is 64bit (x64 based) but I prefer 32 bit (x86 based) Operating system which is Windows 8.1

And about the softwares you had listed above herd protect didnt report them at all neither did Hitman Pro

Reactions: Logethica
E

eight

Your Security Config thread should include the following information:

Operating System
Include which Service Pack or Update is installed.
Examples:
  • Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
  • Kubuntu 12.10
  • Mac OS X Mavericks
OS Architecture
Find out if you're using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows OS
Results are posted under 'Automatic version detection results'.
  • x86 (32-bit)
  • x64 (64-bit)
http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-share-your-config-read-before-posting.87/

The information required is only pertaining to the Operating System & not the Processor.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I was an avid user of the following 4 :

1. 7-zip
2. CCleaner
3. Internet Download Manager
4. µ torrent

I stopped using them since they all get flagged on Virus Total.
These 4 programs are safe to use. 1 hit out 55 for utorrent & 0 out of 54 for CCleaner hardly constitutes them as bad programs.However it is your choice whether or not to use them
The VT links provided

CCleaner 0/54
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.12.25_12h14m17s_002_.png
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...38b9c7c5674ac92e228512dde546532d985/analysis/

utorrent 1/55
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.12.25_12h19m02s_003_.png
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...648951b73b8d312e4663897b6c71f8232b4/analysis/

I personally use CCleaner & 7 zip and have for a long time.Same for utorrent however when I use it I run it sandboxed

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.