Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I start gaming and literally after 5-20 minutes the screen freezes, I hear a PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound and then the sound goes away and the screen stays frozen. Must manually reboot. I can't game long.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reboot

Update SO

Update drivers

Disable AV

Update games
Argh... This been happening for a while, no matter what security software I have.

I used to play lots of games. For example League of Legends, which never gave me any issues. Nevertheless I have lots of games bought of Steam, and specifically this ones give me trouble.. I don't know if it's because they demand for graphic power or what.

Problem: I start gaming and literally after 5-20 minutes the screen freezes, I hear a PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound and then the sound goes away and the screen stays frozen. Must manually reboot. I can't game long.

Hardware: (it's a laptop. Acer Predator Helios 300)
  • Intel Core i7 7th generation
  • 16GB RAM
  • GTX 1060 6GB

Steps taken but unsuccessful:
  • Reboot
  • Update SO
  • Update drivers
  • Disable AV
  • Update games

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Make sure your lap's GPU and CPU is not overheating while gaming. If possible try different RAM sticks . You may try running CPU stress test apps like Prime95. Run Prime95 for 1 hour if it runs stable the culprit probably be either the GPU or power supply.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Okay CPU stress test went okay.

On the other hand, GPU test froze and crashed the computer after reaching 89°C... I think I found the problem.

Gonna try undervolt it!
If you have the pc more than a year you need to open it up and clean vents and maybe even replace thermal paste. Depending on model and if you are on warranty you should act accordingly.
Undervolting will only help temporarily because the voltage did not change since you bought it so the airflow was probably limited.

Upvote 0

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Okay CPU stress test went okay.

On the other hand, GPU test froze and crashed the computer after reaching 89°C... I think I found the problem.

Gonna try undervolt it!

Great find:emoji_clap: Undervolting is only a temporary fix. Try opening the lap, clean the heatsinks and add a fresh coat of high quality thermal paste to both GPU and CPU that will most likely solve your overheating problem. If you can't do that by yourself ask Acer to do that for you.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Heatsink pulls the temp too far, and crash happens...learnt it by myself just two months ago i guess, blamed comodo causing high cpu, but it just was the dust

And on laptop the heatsink problem is probably worse, since with desktop you can atleast clean everything easier

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks everybody for the tips! Removed a part of the case and the dust was disgustingly noticeable. Since I don't have much time and I don't have much experience at hardware cleaning and paste replacement, I dropped the laptop by Acer tech offices and will pick it up tomorrow. $38 for the job... I guess... okay?

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thanks everybody for the tips! Removed a part of the case and the dust was disgustingly noticeable. Since I don't have much time and I don't have much experience at hardware cleaning and paste replacement, I dropped the laptop by Acer tech offices and will pick it up tomorrow. $38 for the job... I guess... okay?
That is a good price if they know what they are doing. It is actually pretty easy to clean a PC. Only thing you should do is where a grounding strap and stick something in the power supply fan so when you spray it with compressed air it does not spin out of control.
Normally you don't have to mess with adding new compound to the CPU heat sink. You just have to clean it. Also never use and air compressor, because it has moister in the lines. Unless you have a static free vaccume, just use canned air.
Hope it worked out for you.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Problem: I start gaming and literally after 5-20 minutes the screen freezes, I hear a PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound and then the sound goes away and the screen stays frozen. Must manually reboot. I can't game long
Have experienced this myself. What solved for me was opening League client with Nvidia GPU always, because by default it uses inbuilt. It's demanding and very flashy with graphics and animations, also, there's an option to close lobby client during playing in options. Alt + TAB also creates sometimes "black screen" if drivers aren't updated or you have another demanding source running in background, e.g. youtube video playing in chrome with hardware acceleration enabled.

Another time I have seen this "PRRR " #####, but on desktop PC, was when RAM wasn't properly set and was a bit lose, just cleaned and placed back in, but that was years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Don't know the average salary of where you live but if it was the same price here in EU i would take all my laptops there every 6 months. It's a great deal in my eyes assuming they actually take it apart and clean. Ask what they did before you get it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.