Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Should I replace to bitdefender from PC Tools? And why?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Should you use Bitdefender? Probably not. Despite claiming top-notch detection rates, just browse our Bitdefender Product Forum and you'll see negative feedback regarding their Free and Paid products. I've also had bad experience using Bitdefender 2012 and 2013 products.

Are you looking to replace PC Tools with a Paid or Free product?

I can suggest to create your own Security config here for better opinions of what to use.

Always remember to try the software by downloading a trial version (usually 30-days free), before purchasing any software.

Diurpaneus

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Dima007 said:
Should I replace to bitdefender from PC Tools? And why?

The Bitdefender is too buggy i've used it and i was disappointed.
I think it is best to listen to advice from Earth.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think Bitdefender would be a step in the right direction from PC Tools even if they are owned by Symantec.I tried Bitdefender Internet Security on Windows 8 and never had any problems with it.Personally I think there are better products than Bitdefender but that is my personal opinion as is my opinion of PC Tools.

Why Bitdefender? If you are interested in it then give it a try.Trying the different products yourself will be the only way to know what works best for you.Although I would suggest crossing PC Tools off your list.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
PC Tools security products have been discontinued and will be replaced by Norton products.

BitDefender has many issues reported by users all over the web including their own forum. I tried it and experience tons of bugs, high false positives, system lags and you name it.

My suggestions:

If you are using Windows 8, then go with the default security provided by Microsoft and learn how to use UAC. Never download files from sources not verified to be trusted.

If other Windows OS, you might try Avast Free, MSE, FortiClient Lite, Avira Free or AVG Free. They will all offer about the same protection if you use your knowledge when downloading files and surfing the web.

Remember malware doesn't magically appear on your system, you have to allow it to download or connect an infected device and allow the malicious files to execute.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
PC Tools are no longer in development security products thus you need to replace another program.

Bitdefender have so many reports of problems by the user and its your choice if willing to take the risk too.

A configuration like free products combination or other paid AV products are ok.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
I've downloaded the trial version yesterday. But now I'm confused, there are other recommendations?

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
I've been using BitDefender on Win8 for a few months and haven't had any problems..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's a lot of Free products by vendors such as; Avira, Avast, AVG, Panda Cloud, Microsoft (among others) and they also provide paid-solutions. Other vendors, for example; Emsisoft, ESET, Kaspersky, Norton, Webroot offer only paid-solutions.

Currently I am using a free solution provided by Microsoft.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i have never recommended pctools to anyone and dont think ever will and i strongly suggest staying away from bitdefender products.

and i can see MT member already suggested some good alternatives so i wont :p

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
Bitdefender is not bad. these are just a few out of millions who have had these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.