Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
In terms of blocking malware sites its crap, Yes. it only uses some filters from domain list Yes if you test it from the list they use they are going to block it.

So yes Avira+ ghostery/Adguard should be better.
People don't use it just because of security though. Why Ghostery/Adguard in particular?

Reactions: frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain I think that he is covered with ublock, emsi and chrome imo :rolleyes:
I believe they are quite enough but emsi and ublock with a lot of filters do not add so much difference the the web protection especially phishings
adding avira browser safety or norton safe web is optional. I recommend it because it doesn't cause any slowdown in the browsing speed, not noticeable. Adding so many filters to ublock will not only slightly decrease browsing speed, increase memory & CPU usage but also be not effective
trust me, I used to have 600.000 ublock rules including malware filters but the result was a lot worse than avira browser safety, even chrome API was better

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hi,
since a week ago, I was using ublock origin. (not a crap ! it's doing its job with low ressources, if you don't susbcribe too much lists).

Than, after reading MT, I've replaced it with adguard and Avira Browser Safety.

It was just to try AdGuard, but I kept it, don't know exactly why. It seems light, easy to configure... no big list of lists.

I was not a fan of something like Avira BS, but it's free, light, nice look, easy to use. Don't slow down browsing.

I did a few personnal tests with some malicious url. Some where blocked by BD Free (my current AV), others by AdGuard, and others by Avira BS, so it seems usefull.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So to use Avira Browser Safety?
you can try them. If you like, keep them
Norton safe web is the lightest. You won't even notice it's there. I tested by openning 25 tabs at the same time but norton Cpu usage was kept around 2% on my i7 laptop while avira reached up to 15%. Avira is slightly better than norton, just very close. Norton is a more resource-friendly

if you choose avira, you should disable tracker blocking because it's not really useful and may conflict with ublock

link for norton if you want (don't understand why I can't search for it):
Norton Safe Web

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I will try It right now Thank you all guys I really like you! :)
But To try It with AdGuard or no need?
If you're already using uBlock Origin and you're happy with it there's no reason to use Adguard. Adguard's malware blocking mostly comes from Google's own Safe Browsing API and Chrome already has this integrated if you've enabled blocking of malicious sites in your browser (it's on by default).

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
So to use Avira Browser Safety?
Each of us can make recommendations based on our own experience and before switching to Adguard I used Ublock Origin which, contrary what some here may think, it is not expressly designed to block malware or malware sites, but its job is to block ads in web pages.
Avira BS can be an alternative, like @frogboy and others said...try and decide.

Last edited:

PCGamer

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
If you're already using uBlock Origin and you're happy with it there's no reason to use Adguard. Adguard's malware blocking mostly comes from Google's own Safe Browsing API and Chrome already has this integrated if you've enabled blocking of malicious sites in your browser (it's on by default).
I will stay with uBlock I really love It.

Reactions: Rengar and frogboy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
In terms of blocking malware sites its crap, Yes. it only uses some filters from domain list Yes if you test it from the list they use they are going to block it.

So yes Avira+ ghostery/Adguard should be better.
uBlock by default has barely any filters enabled, and none from the malware list.
once you enable them manually it's good..

Reactions: Rengar and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.