Hot Take PCMag CyberLock Review

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Reading this with an optic of an average user that buys those magazines and maybe a CEO; I find that review scathing to the reputation of VS. After reading the cons, as an average user I would run away from that app.

I own 3 99 year lic of VS and I find it great! The way the article is written it shows that the writer did not understand the use case for VS. But that's PCMag for you. They have been dying for the past two decades and yet somehow they stay afloat.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Define average user? I'm sure most here could handle it. I use default settings with 3 or 4 minor tweaks such as getting rid of the shield icon, don't really care about the majority of the settings though as I don't touch them and don't believe I really need to do so. I think Dan said CS provides solid protection with default settings.
Anyone who registers for a tech forum is by definition not an average user. Average user doesn't know about Ublock/Adguard, he/she installs adblocker by searching google and then installing Adblock plus or one of its clone. Chrome is their default browser. DNS? Website Certificate? what are those?
Changing a setting inside security software is asking too much from an avg user. They never heard of default-deny, only know about Antivirus. Avg user is the family member/friend who asks for help from us non-avg forum members.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Anyone who registers for a tech forum is by definition not an average user. Average user doesn't know about Ublock/Adguard, he/she installs adblocker by searching google and then installing Adblock plus or one of its clone. Chrome is their default browser. DNS? Website Certificate? what are those?
Changing a setting inside security software is asking too much from an avg user. They never heard of default-deny, only know about Antivirus. Avg user is the family member/friend who asks for help from us non-avg forum members.
Correct for example I haven't used AVG before they were acquired and I won't use them now. Thus I can proudly call myself an non avg user!

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Reading this with an optic of an average user that buys those magazines and maybe a CEO; I find that review scathing to the reputation of VS. After reading the cons, as an average user I would run away from that app.

I own 3 99 year lic of VS and I find it great! The way the article is written it shows that the writer did not understand the use case for VS. But that's PCMag for you. They have been dying for the past two decades and yet somehow they stay afloat.
What's even more perturbing (to me) is that magazine has reviewed VS/CL in the past, and agree their latest article still reads like they do not really understand VS. I do suppose however that it could have been worse.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Unfortunately, the description of CyberLock - VoodooShield is not better in other computer magazines either. The description in "Chip", a leading German computer magazine, is teeming with errors.
There it is claimed, for example, that there is no German language version. It is also written there that VoodooShield regularly makes SnapShots so that the PC can be reset to the status of this SnapShot at any time. A few years ago, someone took a quick look at VoodooShield, didn't understand anything, and now keeps writing nonsense.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

CyberLock is a default-deny (DD) setup that is not suitable for average users. Even with whitelisting, trusted vendors, or similar technologies, DD setups affect usability. An advanced user needs to manage the DD setup for average users to use it effectively. Traditional or default-allow vendors disable DD setup or put it in passive mode by default in their software because it affects usability. For instance, HIPS in ESET, Hardened Mode in Avast, Trusted Mode in Kaspersky (replaced with Intrusion Prevention), and HIPS with the default Internet Security configuration in Comodo.

I enjoy CyberLock’s unique idea and its comprehensive security features. I use it standalone on my system with a few adjustments. However, for regular users, a DD setup can be a hassle. It requires familiarity with the setup or someone experienced in managing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
CyberLock is a default-deny (DD) setup that is not suitable for average users. Even with whitelisting, trusted vendors, or similar technologies, DD setups affect usability. An advanced user needs to manage the DD setup for average users to use it effectively. Traditional or default-allow vendors disable DD setup or put it in passive mode by default in their software because it affects usability. For instance, HIPS in ESET, Hardened Mode in Avast, Trusted Mode in Kaspersky (replaced with Intrusion Prevention), and HIPS with the default Internet Security configuration in Comodo.

I enjoy CyberLock’s unique idea and its comprehensive security features. I use it standalone on my system with a few adjustments. However, for regular users, a DD setup can be a hassle. It requires familiarity with the setup or someone experienced in managing it.
CyberLock is infinitely more usable than User Account Control, on every single level. If novice or average users can handle UAC, they can CERTAINLY handle CyberLock.

And actually, novice and average users do not overthink CyberLock like advanced users do... they just view it as a simple computer lock, that automatically locks their computer when they are browsing the web and checking email. CyberLock is very complex under the hood, but is it extremely simple on the surface. If you overthink it, then you will never truly understand what it is about.

A perfect example of this is Neil's review. He was confused by the ON and OFF because he was overthinking it. Once I explained that the ON and OFF simply displays the status of the lock, he understood the concept. Neil is accustomed to reviewing traditional AV's, and CL does pretty much everything opposite, so there were a lot of things he was confused about, but I had no idea this was the case until he released the review. I am hoping he will update his review once he understands CL a little better. Although it would take him weeks or months to completely understand every little feature.

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I don't think "Malware running prior to installation becomes trusted" is true.
In theory it could be the case when training mode is used, but there are other safeguards like WhitetlistCloud.
Hope @danb can and will react on this review.
Yeah, Neil was not aware that CyberLock automatically removes the corresponding whitelisted items once malware is detected and removed. I should have provided him with better info, but I thought the info I sent him was sufficient for him to understand what I was trying to get him to see. In my opinion, CyberLock should be judged on its ability to protect the endpoint, not an outdated User Guide or typo.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb

Does Cyber Lock handle LoL binaries ? Does it consider the parent process that invokes them? I am thinking of getting rid of OSArmor.

Thanks
Yes, CL implemented LOL protection years ago when this type of attack became common. And actually CL protects thousands of processes, not 10-30 or so.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

agree with genralities, but in reference to Dan's tweaks of VS code over the years, I think an "average user" can use VS/CL hassle-free while having excellent protection at same time. IMO!

We'll need all those airbags in case Harmony goes off-key and crashes into CL! 🤣
Yeah, I've run VS/CL on my hardware & VMs for many years, but lately I did run into a snag using it with DeepInstinct (enterprise) and so I have not tried running VS with Harmony, at least not yet until I think I have optimal control & understanding of Harmony. But have run VS/CL with many other AVs and all excellent.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

agree with genralities, but in reference to Dan's tweaks of VS code over the years, I think an "average user" can use VS/CL hassle-free while having excellent protection at same time. IMO!
The idea of an "average user" is variable based on the technical skills of users. I agree with @danb that his clients use CL without problems. CL may be suitable or inconvenient for different CL users who consider themselves average.

In short, average users are those who use the system and software with no changes. Their system will have manufacturer and Microsoft bloatware, along with duplicate software applications. They don’t bother uninstalling software and simply click allow or ok on pop-ups. Customization for them is the look, color, or theme of the software and system. Most users, even highly educated ones, are clueless about system maintenance, security, and privacy. They click allow or uninstall any default-deny software, or they Google how to get rid of it. This is based on my experience with family members, friends, and others over the years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.