Hot Take PCMag CyberLock Review

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Just low-ride with no AV and just CL :cool:
I would never run with just VS and no AV, not because I don't trust VS to protect me since I trust it 98% but more so that I don't trust myself to make the right decision when the prompt appears. I need a wingman to save my 2 am sleep deprived arse from making a mistake by pressing yes instead of no.

Like that time at a bar when you had one too many and are about to leave the bar with a very hot lady named Steve. (Not that there is anything wrong with Steve, she is just not the type of ladies I am into.) Sometimes one needs a guardian angel.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I would never run with just VS and no AV, not because I don't trust VS to protect me since I trust it 98% but more so that I don't trust myself to make the right decision when the prompt appears. I need a wingman to save my 2 am sleep deprived arse from making a mistake by pressing yes instead of no.

Like that time at a bar when you had one too many and are about to leave the bar with a very hot lady named Steve. (Not that there is anything wrong with Steve, she is just not the type of ladies I am into.) Sometimes one needs a guardian angel.
I agree. However, CL is excellent for me on its own.

Your guardian angel could also be drunk that time and think Steve is Stephanie!

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I agree. However, CL is excellent for me on its own.

Your guardian angel could also be drunk that time and think Steve is Stephanie!
Funny story it's been over a decade. My buddy and I were sent for a 2 week TDY as soon we got back to the states. So both of us are pissed but they required an officer overwatch in South Dakota so South Dakota we went. The first week was a massive "embrace the suck and keep going" week. So when the weekend came we all left our mil IDs in the safe and made sure there was no gov IDs on our arses and we went drinking*. That was before Uber so we took some taxi that was basically a beat up 1983 Chevy Impala with cigarette burns in the seat. We knew that tonight will be memorable; we would either get raped, stuck full of drugs or arrive safely at our destination.

We arrived safely and we commenced Operation Sh-_(face. I am about 15 shots in, my mate is 11 and then I spot the most beautiful sight a human could ever witness. There was a harp of angelic music accompanying my visage. So I start hitting on the two ladies and they are about to take me to their place when suddenly my wingman arrives and tells me that we have to outbrief in 3 hours. So my drunk brain gets overwritten by duty and I suffer a moment of lucidity, thanks to your old friend the andrenaline. It's on our way to the hotel that my buddy states that he made it up, but he had to save me since those two ladies were the worst looking Native Americans he has ever laid his eyes on and he would never forgive himself if he let me go. (Mind you that I am by no means a prize to be had but as far as I know they might have been hookers). Good old days.

Nowadays I haven't had a single drop of booze for 8 years and 3 months.

But I slightly digressed from the main topic at hand, so how about that Webroot eh?

*Last thing you want to do is end up in a newspaper as: "a military officer.......". Small towns (not all) love to nab a good officer since it puts them on a map for their 15 min of fame. Thus, even if as a civy all you would get is a fine; as a govy your arse will be singing the jail house rock in no time.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The idea of an "average user" is variable based on the technical skills of users. I agree with @danb that his clients use CL without problems. CL may be suitable or inconvenient for different CL users who consider themselves average.

In short, average users are those who use the system and software with no changes. Their system will have manufacturer and Microsoft bloatware, along with duplicate software applications. They don’t bother uninstalling software and simply click allow or ok on pop-ups. Customization for them is the look, color, or theme of the software and system. Most users, even highly educated ones, are clueless about system maintenance, security, and privacy. They click allow or uninstall any default-deny software, or they Google how to get rid of it. This is based on my experience with family members, friends, and others over the years.
I gave up helping friends with their computers about 10 years ago, my path to a happier life (or one of the paths) :ROFLMAO: Also convinced my wife to switch to macOS to team up with her iphone...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
*Last thing you want to do is end up in a newspaper as: "a military officer.......". Small towns (not all) love to nab a good officer since it puts them on a map for their 15 min of fame.
... yes that happened to my mil son -- at home on leave to attend a friend's wedding. the rest of the story is classified :censored: or let's just say 3 local "tuf guys" f**ked with the wrong person.

Just low-ride with no AV and just CL :cool:
I've never tried so I don't know the answer this... BUT on win10/11 can you fully disable / uninstall MS Defender and run no AV? (I certainly have replaced / registered other AVs)...

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I gave up helping friends with their computers about 10 years ago, my path to a happier life (or one of the paths) :ROFLMAO: Also convinced my wife to switch to macOS to team up with her iphone...
I stopped helping friends and others four months ago as it takes a lot of time and affects your life.

Now, when someone asks me for computer help, I tell them to "Google it" and charge them a consulting fee for my expert advice. 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I've never tried so I don't know the answer this... BUT on win10/11 can you fully disable / uninstall MS Defender and run no AV? (I certainly have replaced / registered other AVs)...
You can disable Defender on Windows 10, but not completely on Windows 11. Even though I turned off real-time protection in Group Policy and Windows Security features, it still updates and runs a scan sometimes. Windows Security shows "managed by your admin".

Reactions: Oldie1950

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.