AV-Comparatives Performance Test April 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The following activities/tests were performed under an up-to-date Windows 10 1909 64-Bit system:

• File copying
  • Archiving / unarchiving
  • Installing / uninstalling applications
  • Launching applications
  • Downloading files
  • Browsing Websites
  • PC Mark 10 Professional Testing Suite
1.PNG
Check the full report here

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
And Bitdefender :oops:.

Last time I had Bitdefender on my pc with Samsung 850 EVO SSD with OS installed felt like I am running a HDD.
It’s changed quite a bit recently for a lot of users. For me it’s almost identical to ESET. This surprised me. Also it’s much less buggy, but still seems more finicky than some other AVs.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is about average. I just got done taking a lunch break and playing a game. It can get near 100MB when idle for a while. It increases a lot with scans, but I don't full/quick scan often (don't see the point with real-time protection).

1588967135093.png

I should note that when I say near identical to ESET I just mean in how snappy the system is. Even when it's running with less memory it's more than ESET, everybody is more than ESET.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
when you have mcafee with maximum score, you can’t take the test completely seriously, it’s a very bad antivirus.
This is just a performance test, meaning how much impact an AV has on a system. It's not related to protection.
Besides, McAfee scans files on execution only so it's no surprise to see it with maximum score while something like ESET, Kaspersky, Bitdefender scans files on access, creation, modification, execution so their results are more impressive than McAfee here.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
This is just a performance test, meaning how much impact an AV has on a system. It's not related to protection.
Besides, McAfee scans files on execution only so it's no surprise to see it with maximum score while something like ESET, Kaspersky, Bitdefender scans files on access, creation, modification, execution so their results are more impressive than McAfee here.
emsisoft also checks when accessing, I believe it would do better, but I still think mcafee is a very bad antivirus in general.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
emsisoft also checks when accessing, I believe it would do better, but I still think mcafee is a very bad antivirus in general.
Emsisoft doesn't actually. It's similar to McAfee, on execution only. But you can change the default settings if you want while McAfee doesn't even give you the option which is bad.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The only problem is that it's paid ;)
Still I don't believe it's better.
Well, got 4-year subscription for sth like $17
I have used both Avast and Bullguard and I can tell you that Bullguard is much lighter and their Game Booster just works. Itwill not do miracles but it will stop unncessary stuff from interrupting you while gaming.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Well, got 4-year subscription for sth like $17
I have used both Avast and Bullguard and I can tell you that Bullguard is much lighter and their Game Booster just works. Itwill not do miracles but it will stop unncessary stuff from interrupting you while gaming.
Lighter for OS I believe it, but for "gaming mode" I don't believe Bullguard is better. Did you use "suspend all non-gaming user processes" from Avast's geek:area? I'm not simply talking about the default setting.

Yeah.. that's how all game boosters work, most of them terminate processes, then when you leave the game, some won't come back properly. Avast only suspends them, so it's better. For me, all game boosters were bs, until I tried Avasts one.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Avast only suspends them, so it's better. For me, all game boosters were bs, until I tried Avasts one.
It is possible that Avast is using the technology from Tune Up Utilities. Avast is a great product and I do like it but I won't install it at least not now. Bullguard is installed on my Gaming PC and it is running smoothly and does not interrupt me.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
It is possible that Avast is using the technology from Tune Up Utilities. Avast is a great product and I do like it but I won't install it at least not now. Bullguard is installed on my Gaming PC and it is running smoothly and does not interrupt me.
Since you already spent the money on Bullguard you better keep it 😋
I only pay for two "apps": Netflix and Spotify. All the rest I go for the free options, because nothing else justifies paying for.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.