AV-Comparatives Performance Test April 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
These performance tests are the same as the protection tests. In the protection tests there are many variables, such as how they test, settings for each product etc. They are basically for entertainment purposes only. The performance tests are basically how a certain product performs on one machine, (I may be wrong because I didn't delve into their testing methods,) but it doesn't matter. How any particular product performs on one, or even ten machines has really no relevance on how it will perform on your machine seeing that there is basically millions if not billions of different configurations. Just as the protections tests provide a very vague guideline as to actual real world protection capabilities , these test provide the same as to how a AV will actually perform on any given machine. Try yourself, only sure way to know.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
How any particular product performs on one, or even ten machines has really no relevance on how it will perform on your machine seeing that there is basically millions if not billions of different configurations.
I agree! The best way to test the performance of X product is by installing it and running it for a few days and see how it performs on your configuration.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The disadvantage of doing that is each antivirus leaves traces behind when you uninstall them, even when using something like Revo Uninstaller.
Some more than others. Unless you do it with hundreds of programs the registry is fine unless there’s a specific conflict. Left behind drivers is sloppy and a big no-no, yet a few vendors do it. I would recommend imaging right before installing and go from there. Then roll back each time until you find the one you like.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The disadvantage of doing that is each antivirus leaves traces behind when you uninstall them, even when using something like Revo Uninstaller.
Some more than others. Unless you do it with hundreds of programs the registry is fine unless there’s a specific conflict. Left behind drivers is sloppy and a big no-no, yet a few vendors do it. I would recommend imaging right before installing and go from there. Then roll back each time until you find the one you like.
I can safely say that I have never uninstalled any security product. I just restore a system backup.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I can safely say that I have never uninstalled any security product. I just restore a system backup.
I uninstalled ESET once when I went with WD after running ESET for a few months. I had zero issues. I even ran a Sophos Home Premium trial after that uninstall and it ran fine. But since then I’m a few clean installs past and have a clean backup image.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That's why you should always run the vendor's own removal tool after uninstalling an antivirus, to ensure that all leftovers are removed. Some of the lesser known antiviruses don't publish such tools, but just every big name antivirus has one.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
I did like the write up of difficulties to measure actual boot time, because of some AVs do not load their "protection modules" in early boot-stage.
I think this means severe security risk, because sophisticated (undetected) malware can then start before AV protection modules?
The same goes for windows own firewall. I think its something to do with Ring0, Ring1 etc kernel stuff?

With kindest regards,
-sepik

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Bitdefender Total Security (+ one ten and one twelve megabytes process)
e02f308ef6c9ff66b499a8f328e0fc5f.png

Kaspersky Security Cloud Personal (+ one eleven megabyte process)
f031d362efd1764087d2b24f833ed445.png

ESET Internet Security
385afd0f2a54c462b7733ca74337c2a2.png

In terms of protection, Kaspersky has better, and faster, signatures and heuristics, while Bitdefender has better web and phishing protection, Eset is slightly worse in every way except in terms of resource usage, but not a lot worse.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
Yes, ESET is a winner here in terms of memory consumption. But memory consumption does not always means that product is the "lightest".
Installing games or big software can take a lot of time. Depends on the AV solution. Some of them, while installing games for example, does check all the files. Some AVs does not(when writing). Then comes the caching of signatures etc. So many factors to measure "lightness" of an AV solution(s).

With kindest regards,
-sepik

CCJW

Level 1
Dec 16, 2019
Task Manager is not a good memory viewer. Some developers "hide" memory. Those who do not know this, post such pictures as you do otherwise.
Also, the fact that a software uses more memory can be a very good thing. RAM is very fast.

Reactions: roger_m

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
Please explain, how do they "hide"? I'm using free Mitec Taskmanager Deluxe, and it s quite informative about memory usage of any prosesses.

With kindest regards,
-sepik

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Task Manager is not a good memory viewer. Some developers "hide" memory. Those who do not know this, post such pictures as you do otherwise.
Also, the fact that a software uses more memory can be a very good thing. RAM is very fast.
Software such as Process explorer or Process hacker are innacurate, they show processes using many times more resources than shown in task manager.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Hello,
Yes, ESET is a winner here in terms of memory consumption. But memory consumption does not always means that product is the "lightest".
Installing games or big software can take a lot of time. Depends on the AV solution. Some of them, while installing games for example, does check all the files. Some AVs does not(when writing). Then comes the caching of signatures etc. So many factors to measure "lightness" of an AV solution(s).

With kindest regards,
-sepik
To be honest in all the years of using different antivirus products I have not noticed any difference in download speed, no matter the product, which why I think it should not be considered.

CCJW

Level 1
Dec 16, 2019
Hello,
Please explain, how do they "hide"? I'm using free Mitec Taskmanager Deluxe, and it s quite informative about memory usage of any prosesses.

With kindest regards,
-sepik

hide - It's a deeper expression. Investigate the phenomenon.

ex. Why antivirus uses so much RAM - And why that is actually a good thing! | Emsisoft | Security Blog

High memory usage is bad for marketing, but what do you do if you can’t avoid it? You hide it. Read from: An insider’s secret: Antivirus programs tend to hide their RAM usage

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
1589024744349.png

Summarized results
Users should weight the various subtests according to their needs. We applied a scoring system to sum up the various results. Please note that for the File Copying and Launching Applications subtests, we noted separately the results for the first run and for subsequent runs. For the AV-C score, we took the rounded mean values of first and subsequent runs for File Copying, whilst for Launching Applications we considered only the subsequent runs. “Very fast” gets 15 points, “fast” gets 10 points, “mediocre” gets 5 points and “slow” gets 0 points. This leads to the following results:
Evaluating the effect of antivirus on the system (least is better)
Source:

Reactions: blackice

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.