Peter Kendrick's Security Configuration

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Your privacy, security and data are at risk.

Recommended reads for User Access Control
HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn’t Disable UAC (How To Geek)
Why do idiots disable UAC & claim it's not a security function? (Wilders Security Forum)

Real-Time Malware Protection
> Consider Free Antivirus, White-listing Application or Sandbox security.

Data and System Backup
> Cloud storage for easy file synchronisation, and offline system backups for quick recovery.

Malware Testing on Host PC
> Major risk! @Klipsh

Peter Kendrick

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 13, 2016
I am very much of a laptop guy. So, I use the laptop rather than sitting on the chair in front of a PC. So, I hardly install any software application or run any unwanted potential application. The only applications run I am pretty much sure of them so I keep my UAC disabled. I usually don't need system backup I use data backup services like Google drive, One drive and drop box for my sensitive data. Plus, "
Participate in Malware Hub: On my Host PC" was a mistake I really didn't look into it, I thought which malware software I use. Please, correct that I don't really participate in Malware Hub :(

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Even if you don't install random applications, it's still better to enable UAC. Browsing (even now, while you're browsing MalwareTips :eek: ) can infect your laptop. And if that happens without UAC enabled, the malware can do its job without even you noticing it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I am very much of a laptop guy. So, I use the laptop rather than sitting on the chair in front of a PC. So, I hardly install any software application or run any unwanted potential application. The only applications run I am pretty much sure of them so I keep my UAC disabled. I usually don't need system backup I use data backup services like Google drive, One drive and drop box for my sensitive data. Plus, "
Participate in Malware Hub: On my Host PC" was a mistake I really didn't look into it, I thought which malware software I use. Please, correct that I don't really participate in Malware Hub :(
You should use a image backup software so you can have a backup when your system is the most stable. When you have any problem you can revert using the image (20-30mins + time to update to newer softwares) rather than reinstall your windows and all softwares from the beginning, it takes time (1-3 hours). It's for convenience, not for important data :)
for light AV, I suggest avast free + unchecky (free) or ESET (paid)

edit: if you use your laptop like me, I suggest to use Hiren boot CD on a bootable USB -> norton ghost and make a backup image and that's it. You dont need install anything, also can backup some important stuffs when your laptop is unbootable by mini Windows xp (included in hirenboot cd)

Last edited:
L

LabZero

If it is possible, an upgrade to Windows 10 would also be useful in terms of safety. It is important to have a backup/recovery plan to ensure operability of the system after a heavy crash or malware attack.
An incremental backup also allows you to periodically update your data and personal files.

Peter Kendrick

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 13, 2016
Even if you don't install random applications, it's still better to enable UAC. Browsing (even now, while you're browsing MalwareTips :eek: ) can infect your laptop. And if that happens without UAC enabled, the malware can do its job without even you noticing it.

To be honest, UAC is annoying to pop-up :confused: How can I enable it without bugging me?

You should use a image backup software so you can have a backup when your system is the most stable. When you have any problem you can revert using the image (20-30mins + time to update to newer softwares) rather than reinstall your windows and all softwares from the beginning, it takes time (1-3 hours). It's for convenience, not for important data :)
for light AV, I suggest avast free + unchecky (free) or ESET (paid)

I have no idea about unchecky, I will check it now. Secondly, which software I should choose to make system backup? I heard about Norton long ago but I really don't know which software to use.

If it is possible, an upgrade to Windows 10 would also be useful in terms of safety. It is important to have a backup/recovery plan to ensure operability of the system after a heavy crash or malware attack.
An incremental backup also allows you to periodically update your data and personal files.

I read in lot of places that windows 10 has lots of issues including security??? like wifi sense something.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
To be honest, UAC is annoying to pop-up :confused: How can I enable it without bugging me?

I have no idea about unchecky, I will check it now. Secondly, which software I should choose to make system backup? I heard about Norton long ago but I really don't know which software to use.

I read in lot of places that windows 10 has lots of issues including security??? like wifi sense something.
I use norton ghost in hiren boot cd. It is bootable and dont need to install anything
I tried AOMEI and Macrium, I don't like them much because for they do the same thing as Norton Ghost (for me only). I dont need incremental backup, I just backup once every a few months

if you wanna to enable UAC without annoying you (UAC will never show popups but UAC funtions are still working), download this registry file -> apply and reboot
Code:
http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/tutorials/5313d1333528935-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a-uac_never_notify.reg

Last edited:

Peter Kendrick

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 13, 2016
I use norton ghost in hiren boot cd. It is bootable and dont need to install anything
I tried AOMEI and Macrium, I don't like them much because for they do the same thing as Norton Ghost (for me only). I dont need incremental backup, I just backup once every a few months

Thanks for the registry, I will certainly apply this now. I will look for these softwares now. Im not familiar with hiren boot cd

Certainly it is your choice.
I'm using Windows 10 ( clean installation) and no problem.
Windows 10 is not perfect as Windows 7 was not perfect, but the implementation of new features and the correction of safety problems is constant.

How do you tackle the security issue? can you guide me to a blog or article which could help me tackle major security issues, before I move to windows 10? Thanks for the help though :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the registry, I will certainly apply this now. I will look for these softwares now. Im not familiar with hiren boot cd

How do you tackle the security issue? can you guide me to a blog or article which could help me tackle major security issues, before I move to windows 10? Thanks for the help though :)
you can use SARDU 3, there are some tutorials somewhere on the internet by text or videos in some languages but understandable
I prefer SARDU 2.0.6.5 (if you can use) but it has annoying popups to ask you to update to 3.1. version 3 needs some cash to unlock all features while v2 has everything

another option is YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator
SARDU is easier to use

about hirenboot, you can use version 10.6 because v15.2 (lastest removed norton ghost - copyright problem)
or v15.2 rebuild edition :)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Follow suggestions about UAC, it is really important.

Then, install ZAM Free, for browser extensions install HTTPS Everywhere. Install also SandBoxie Free and use it while browsing to have more protection.
Install a good backup solution, such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.
What browser are you using?

If you follow our suggestions you will be protected.

Thanks for sharing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.