Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
So the guys at Netgate decided to fork pfSense into 2 versions:

a) The community edition (CE) will remain open source
b) Factory edition is now a closed source version

More details here: Announcing pfSense® Plus

I've been using Netgate's SG 2440 appliance at home for exactly 5 years now (since Jan 2016) and while this move is not entirely surprising it does not bode well for the CE. Reddit /r/PFSENSE is ablaze with many unhappy users both Netgate customers and appliance/system builders alike.

Alternative is OPNSense. I dual boot it off a MMC card in my Netgate appliance. IMHO pfSense wins hands down. pfBlockerNG doesn't support OPNSense yet.

R2D2

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
It might not be the exact same thing, but you can use the DNSBL (BIND) as a workaround/alternative. I never used pfBLockerNG so i can't really comment, but if you have both tested. How does it fare in your opinion in comparison?
TBH I've never used DNSBL so I really have no idea how it performs. pfBlockerNG does a pretty good job and the author provides regular bug fixes and updates. My Netgate system software configuration has been more or less fixed since I purchased the appliance in '16. The only items that changed over the past 5 years are an annual Snort subscription starting 2017 and the addition of 2 more WAN connections plus gateway group configurations for redundancy and load balancing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.