Showcase plat1098's Machine Specs

P

plat1098

Thread author
Hello, lots of room to improve. This machine weighs nearly 16 kilo/35 pounds and replaced a workstation that developed some motherboard problems so it was on borrowed time. No intensive gaming but will try out some Steam demos to see what the 1080 GTX can really do.

Once you have a taste for speed and graphics, it's so hard to be content with anything else. :) Can upgrade PSU for starters, will probably go for 750 watt Silver or Gold EVGA Super Nova series.

P

plat1098

Thread author
Upgraded NVM-express to Samsung 960 EVO M.2 @ 250GB. Unfortunately, this type of SSD continues to have apparent compatibility issues with the Fall CU--this is the second Samsung NVMe to experience the exact same major issues after installing from USB media: Start Menu and taskbar inactive, Edge frozen with 13%CPU/svc host state repository, incomplete launch or failure of all other store apps, TaskHostWindow/Plug and Play message impeding shutdown and others. Although a number of people have experienced the same horrendous problems with other types of drives, the issues persist with two new NVMe drives, both Samsung. There's a firmware update on Samsung's site but it hasn't shown up on the Lenovo site yet, where I'd rather pick it up. A reset of Windows by accessing Settings with right-click to Start restored usability, for now at least.

Hate to "lip service" something as necessary as Macrium images but I've had issues with this type of SSD since the first CU, with numerous errors on the two images I attempted. I'll be looking for an alternative backup solution, perhaps I can clone this drive to my enclosed HDD or something--sorry, a blank slate with imaging here. A beautiful and fast SSD but not fully in tune with latest OS, not here. Anyone happening to read this and sees something that needs correction or clarification, please do not hesitate to add your insights. Thanks. :)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I'll be looking for an alternative backup solution
Macrium is pretty savvy software as you know, you're not going to out do it. Maybe give the update till Tuesday late and see if they (Microsoft) don't pull a rabbit out of the hat.
By the way, welcome to the MT's forum, I thought you were an old shoe here going by your posts, have appreciated your input.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Thread author
Ran PassMark to see if the upgrades, particularly new NVMe, are paying off and how machine is doing in general. The frightmare of Fall Creators Build (for this machine) is slowly wearing off and the upgrade process can now continue unabated!

Capture.PNG

P

plat1098

Thread author
plat1098, don't know if you saw this from BoraMurdar

Unlimited Giveaway - Acronis True Image 2017 BootCD

I haven't used Acronis in a while but when I was using it, it was very through and good software.

Yes, imaging has been neglected, admittedly. I bookmarked the page you referenced. Now that I'm inclined to pick up imaging again, and since there were some recent posts that were positive re: Acronis, I'll try this and modify my security configuration accordingly.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. :)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
You bet, happy to pass that on to you. BTW you've understated this new machine, it's hellacious, you could run a small government with it, sure you would need a bigger Hd. HaHa. Speaking of Hd did the issues you were experiencing clear up and what monitor did you end up with.

Reactions: 1 person

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.