Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
RE: biozfear configuration

You can add a DNS like Norton DNS or Comodo DNS. Also for disk defrag i noticed you paid for Perfect Disk there are free alternatives like Auslogics Disk Defrag, Smart Defrag, and Defraggler. Even adding Orbit Downloader and the other fp's you talk about comodo having problems with, have you tried to exclude them from detection? for configuring emet you can find information on how to do it here Guide. I think you have a good setup :)

P

Plexx

Thread author

Yeah I paid for perfect disk since I had some bad experience with Asulogics (back in my old system).

The comodo issue in orbit downloader was just the variable for the scan after downloading. Somehow the %1 doesn't seem to work and I still can't figure it out.

I use Comodo DNS via dns jumper only, despite being active all the time. Is Norton DNS reliable? I used to use the clear cloud one (or was it a different name?).

I did seem to have bought some applications where the free alternatives or free versions are ok, so I'll keep that in mind for future.

As for EMET, thanks for the guide, but is it really needed for my system and what I do?

Also have a question about the following:
A few friends at work that asked me to switch from CIS to Kaspersky 2012 or VIPRE (if running VIPRE, instead of using the firewall, use comodo firewall or online armor).

Now both Kaspersky and VIPRE are paid versions which I don't have a problem in buying it if they are reliable. CIS doesn't use much resources at all. I was previously using ESET 4 until my subscription ran out, did the trial for version 5 and resources were quite high, so I switched to Comodo. My other laptop which is a low end laptop is used for websurfing and facebook by my family members and that one is running Avast free version with the free versions of the apps I have on my Dell (apart from a defrag which I'll perhaps get the defraggler).

Thanks for the reply:)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

biozfear said:
the comodo issue in the orbit downloader was just the variable for the scan after downloading. somehow the %1 doesnt seem to work and still cant figure it out.

Oh, are you the user who was asking about this on the Comodo forum?

Did you ever contact Orbit to see if they use a different string for the argument?

I know Free Download Manager uses %file% instead of %1 to pass the filename to the command line scanner. Orbit may also use something other than the more common %1.

That said, with an on-access scanner like CAV, it really isn't important that a file is scanned just after download. CAV will act when the file is accessed.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Hi there Heffed, yeah it's me who posted on the comodo forum.
Well I went through all their forums without luck and then I totally forgot to ask on their forums.

Well I did try the %1% but CAV still doesn't launch.

ill try to ask on their forum if anyone knows the variables. hopefully someone uses CIS as well there.

I did notice the on-access scanner with CAV today for the first time when I opened the bluetooth folder from Intel, as it detected a dll and I have reported as false positive via the website as well as the tool in CIS.

Heffed, mind if I ask if the FDM is stable on 64bit architecture? I might switch back to FDM if it is, since I used to have it before on my old XP machine.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

biozfear said:
Heffed, mind if i ask if the FDM is stable on 64bit architecture? i might switch back to FDM if it is, since i used to have it before on my old xp machine.

The system requirements on the web page say only 32 bit OS's.

System requirements:
In order to use FDM, you must have one of the following operating systems installed on your computer:

Microsoft Windows 9x/ME/2000/2003/XP/Vista (32bit versions only)

P

Plexx

Thread author

I'll wait on the reply from orbit forums then.

By the way Heffed, care to look at my configuration and comment?

Thanks a lot.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Would anyone explain or recommend if sanboxie would be handy for a gamer like me? Also any sandboxie's alternatives?

Note VMWare that I have is not particularly to test security software etc. It's more to bypass security on online games and be able to run 2 accounts mainly to trade and use as storage... silly I know but well it works.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

For alternative for Sandboxie:

Bufferzone Pro which is totally a free virtualization program.

http://www.trustware.com/BufferZone-Pro/

P

Plexx

Thread author

Thanks James I'll have a look in a bit.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Between lastpass and roboform, which one do you guys recommend? Or is there another alternative? I mainly have the passwords stored on FF/Chrome.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

good setup. have you noticed problems with the gpu? if you have the add the gpu's exe files in d+ exclusions and the problem will be solved. I say this because I have seen on my old and the new one that adding the gpu's exe file in d+ exlusions helps to improve the performance. I noticed that especially on my HP pavilion tx2690eo gpu.

I have also added it in the AV's exlusions

Just a tip in case you feel that gpu isn't performing as it should

P

Plexx

Thread author

i havent noticed any probs with the GPU.
tho i manually added a few thinngs on the defense+, including the intel vbs script etc that came with my dell.

thanks for the tip. ill give it a try and let u know

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

biozfear said:
between lastpass and roboform, which one do you guys recommend? or is there another alternative? i mainly have the pwds stored on ff/chrome

I would recommend LastPass.

P

Plexx

Thread author

last pass added. playing around a bit. might swap some of the tools to my gf's laptop instead. dunno what i could actually swap or move over... any ideas? on her pc avast is running due to CIS not being too user friendly for the knowledge

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Add sandboxie especially if your GF was performed a browsing on web.

P

Plexx

Thread author

any tips in configuring the free version of sanboxie? but the system is a 64bit.[/align]

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011

biozfear said:
any tips in configuring the free version of sanboxie? but the system is a 64bit.[/align]

Minimal settings:
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Delete - Delete Invocation: check "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Restrictions - Drop Rights: check "Drop rights from Administrators ..."
Run everything's new
More read here: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.