Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear configuration

ocsi said:
biozfear said:
any tips in configuring the free version of sanboxie? but the system is a 64bit.[/align]

Minimal settings:
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Delete - Delete Invocation: check "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Restrictions - Drop Rights: check "Drop rights from Administrators ..."
Run everything's new
More read here: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings

heya osci, could you perhaps explain a bit the settings and what they do more or less? and do i need to tell the user of the laptop to always launch sandboxie first or is it automatically?

BoXX28 said:
Solid and a very secure config down the biozfear!

Boxx, tnx alot but i might tweak a bit. dunno perhaps remove hitmanpro and pass it to the other laptop. i also got the dell data safe backup but its the free edition. aint paying to upgrade it. got acronis paid version but its the version 11... i am looking for perhaps a decent full image of OS with HDD and drivers backup to place on an external hard disk with boot feature (similar to acronis).

any help would be appreciated.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Good plans for PC biozfear. Keep everything backed up and updated and you're set.

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011

biozfear said:
ocsi said:
biozfear said:
any tips in configuring the free version of sanboxie? but the system is a 64bit.[/align]

Minimal settings:
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Delete - Delete Invocation: check "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Restrictions - Drop Rights: check "Drop rights from Administrators ..."
Run everything's new
More read here: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings

heya osci, could you perhaps explain a bit the settings and what they do more or less? and do i need to tell the user of the laptop to always launch sandboxie first or is it automatically?
1) "... could you perhaps explain a bit the ..."?
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Delete - Delete Invocation: check "Automatically delete contents of sandbox" = Automatically delete contents of sandbox when you close the software
- Sandbox - DefaultBox - Sandbox Settings - Restrictions - Drop Rights: check "Drop rights from Administrators ..." = Restriction = Sandboxie has to disable only a few security rights from the programs it supervises in order to guarantee isolation (explanations are given in the setup window)
2) "... tell the user of the laptop to always launch sandboxie first or is it automatically ..."? - Yes and ... no ... too much to say and do not know if I will make explicit (My english is very bad). Read explanations by on Sandboxie site (http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics). Or wait a speaker of English better than me!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

You have a solid security configuration (+1), if you want you can add to your browsers a site advisor and a password manager :

Additional browser protection:

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Last edited:
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's configuration

thanks for the +1 Jack.

as of yesterday i was replacing some utilities so i could find a combo for my gf's laptop which is a low end laptop for casual surfing, and to find an easy system for my testing desktop.

please tell me if my Dell XPS17 config is now ok and if i shoudl replace any tools and if so which.

Thanks all!!!

Update: system resorces aint that bad but i think i got used to CIS.... lets see

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: biozfear's main laptop configuration

ok came across a couple of free AVs to test out to be used on my secondary laptop:

immunet free antivirus
AVG
BitDefender
Panda Cloud
Avira

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

you can forget Immunet. i tried it for quite a long time. the network friends feature is a joke and it is heavy for just a cloud AV, the free version is based on ClamAV for its local database, not the best choice .

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
you can forget Immunet. i tried it for quite a long time. the network friends feature is a joke and it is heavy for just a cloud AV, the free version is based on ClamAV for its local database, not the best choice .

oh ok immunet out of the question.

oh and found dr.web as well.

im waiting to learn more on kaspersky from another post.

btw any one has any reviews i could watch/read on VIPRE? decent ones i mean.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

biozfear said:

videos:

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Vipre-Internet-Security-2012-Test-by-Winsevenholic-me

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Our member MrXidus made a video for Vipre 4 although its an old version, the video provide unbiased.

Youtube Link

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

configuration is very brilliant. :)
I'm very like with Vipre. excellent web filters and signatures.
and, you also use comodo firewall (like a wall of steel)

P

Plexx

Thread author

McLovin said:
biozfear said:
oh ok immunet out of the question.

oh and found dr.web as well.

im waiting to learn more on kaspersky from another post.

Here is a video on Kaspersky.
Kaspersky Test - By MrXidus

Here is a test on Vipre:
Vipre Internet Security 2012 - By win7holic

Thanks alot:) will check it in a bit

win7holic said:
configuration is very brilliant. :)
I'm very like with Vipre. excellent web filters and signatures.
and, you also use comodo firewall (like a wall of steel)

thanks win7.
im not particular fan of the VIPRE firewall tho. maybe i got used to comodo. i used to use sygate, then moved to sunbelt and then moved to comodo and never looked back.

might give the latest version of VIPRE a try.

will post an update soon.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

vipre has two if I am not wrong, one for free that is more or less a pure firewall and the other one that you need pay which has more features such has HIPS.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Valentin N said:
vipre has two if I am not wrong, one for free that is more or less a pure firewall and the other one that you need pay which has more features such has HIPS.

tried the hips... gotta say wasnt impressed with it.

looking at kis aint bad but the price... ouch...

a co-worker advised mcafeeasap.... still need to look it up... hope is not like the standard mcaffee that came bundled with my laptops coz hell that didnt last 2 days on it.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

You need to stay away from McAfee since it's not one of the best security software as of now. Stay with VIPRE and turn on that Firewall.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

BoXX28 said:
You need to stay away from McAfee since it's not one of the best security software as of now. Stay with VIPRE and turn on that Firewall.

Exactly what BoXX28 said it is not the best AV and staying with Vipre will be the better option.

If you have not seen it already here is a review that win7holic does of Vipre Internet Security.

Video - By win7holic

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

VIPRE will do an RKO on any malwares ! (those who watch WWE will understand) :p

P

Plexx

Thread author

ok now something is weird here or is just me but anyone noticed a rather big slow down while doing a full scan with vipre (latest version)? it crashed as well...

gonna try to reinstall. theres not much difference from previous viper with the new one is it? couldnt find any changelog.

i dont particulary like the vipre firewall. used it before as standalone when they had. still prefer the combo of vipre + comodo firewall/hips.

i still got a couple of months for the version 4 tho that came on the disk.

1 more day of testing and ill decide on both configurations

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

It's bad to see that VIPRE's not doing good on your end. You can try Kaspersky IS first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.