Eset Internet Security
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
NPE
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Dashlane, Norton Safe Web, Ublock origin, Duckduckgo privacy essentials
Maintenance tools
Revo uninstaller pro
File and Photo backup
Critical data stored on a Synology NAS with daily backups to Synology C2 cloud backup (with versioning) + daily backups to an external drive (No versioning).
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Things could add to your own security setup
  • Adding DuckDuckGo or Startpage as your default search engine
  • Adding Zemana AntiMalware as an on demand scanner
  • Consider adding ScriptSafe extension to Chrome
  • Maybe download Bleachbit & Revo Uninstaller for System Utilities
~LDogg

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
Things could add to your own security setup
  • Adding DuckDuckGo or Startpage as your default search engine
  • Adding Zemana AntiMalware as an on demand scanner
  • Consider adding ScriptSafe extension to Chrome
  • Maybe download Bleachbit & Revo Uninstaller for System Utilities
~LDogg

Revo Uninstaller looks like a great addon. This tool makes things a lot easier, used to check uninstall leftovers manually :p Thanks! Any advice on the free or the paid version?

About Zemana (Or any other extra on demand scanner): I already have one realtime scanner and one on demand scanner installed. Want to keep things as simple as possible.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The free version is just as good. I've used it, it's very good at uninstalling programs especially if one software needs to be updated by removing the previous version and install the fresh one.

~LDogg

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Poccie:

- For "For Disk Imaging Backup", a tool such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, would be welcome, both are free and reliably.

- As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.

Thanks for sharing :)

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
ADDED: Zemana Anti Malware Free

ADDED: multiple System utilities. Will be testing Geek uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller free for the coming weeks. Read something about Everything and decided to give that a try as well.

CHANGE: Google search to DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. Never used DuckDuckGo until now, so i'm curious about results the coming weeks.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Revo Uninstaller looks like a great addon. This tool makes things a lot easier, used to check uninstall leftovers manually :p Thanks! Any advice on the free or the paid version?

About Zemana (Or any other extra on demand scanner): I already have one realtime scanner and one on demand scanner installed. Want to keep things as simple as possible.
Revo uninstaller is a great tool especially when software default uninstall tool fails.

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
Just made some more changes:

Changed: Changed some G-data settings for a little more security (Interactive mode for BB and Firewall on Max)

Removed: HTTPS Everywhere

Changed: After a few quick tests, i've decided to stick with NPE and EEK for on demand scanning. Like the look and feel of both tools and when in comes to detection rates i'm covered with a total of four scanning engines (2 realtime G-data + EEK and NPE). Somehow didn't really like ZAM...

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Becareful with NPE though. Only use it on your system if you fully believe there's an infection on your computer. The program is great, creates a System Restore point to reverse changes, but the program is a little aggressive, which is the positive about this product. Defintely keep it though, it's well worth the code it was designed for.

~LDogg

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
And another round of changes:

ADDED: Adguard desktop application. Used this in trial for a few days and i really like it so i decided to purchase the lifetime license from stacksocial.com.
It's feels streamlined and i like the stealth mode options. I use in in combination with the adguard extension.

CHANGED: Chrome to Chrome Beta. just for fun.
CHANGED: Duckduckgo to Startpage.com. For me, the search results of startpage feel more to the point and i prefer the startpage layout.

REMOVED: Privacy Badger, Ublock Origin.

Currently testing Voodooshield in combination with Emsisoft Anti-Malware in a VM. Nice combo so far. I really like the VoodooAI part of voodooshield and the autopilot mode of this tool. Perhaps i will switch to this combo or use voodooshield with G-data.

As always, please comment!

Reactions: harlan4096

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
uBlock was definitely a mistake to remove, Privacy Badger is ok, Privacy Possum is the better extension. What did you replace with uBlock Origin?

~LDogg

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
uBlock was definitely a mistake to remove, Privacy Badger is ok, Privacy Possum is the better extension. What did you replace with uBlock Origin?

~LDogg

Adguard and ublock together seems like overkill, so that's why i removed it. I use privacy possum in firefox on my vm. Not sure if i'm going to use it next to adguard. I want to keep it as simple as possible and adguard in stealth mode looks like a nice solution for my needs.

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
After a fresh install of Win10 i've made some changes to my security config.
This new setup for me strikes the perfect balance between useability and security. The performance impact is very minimal, while keeping my security measures at a very acceptable level.

Realtime scanning: Emsisoft antimalware (minimal performance impact on my pc and just works, like almost all other AV suites)
Firewall: Default windows (Suits my needs)
On demand: NPE
Backup: External storage for critical data with cloud backup + regular disk backups for quick recovery of my system.
Browser: Firefox for a bit more privacy, with some very nice extensions (i particularly like Malwarebytes, altough still in beta)

Happy to hear what you think!

Poccie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2018
Two changes because of minor issues:

I've replaced EAM with Eset IS. Everytime i started an .exe file from a network share, my pc would freeze for about 10 minutes. After that, explorer restarted and all was well again. I was able to trace it back to EAM. (Some simple testing with reproducing errors with processes running/stopped).
This is a problem i've had before with EAM (a few months a go). No time to further investigate so replaced it for now.

I've replaced Malwarebytes extension with norton safe web. Firefox frequently crashed on me with the Malwarebytes extension running. For the same reason as mentioned earlier, i've replaced it for now.

I've installed both EAM and malwarebytes in a VM for some further testing, just for fun :p

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.