POLL - Are You Using A Pirate Version Of Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Nope, I have loads of keys left over from 2 different Technet Subscriptions, all genuine here

V

Vextor

Nope. I'm currently using a pirated version of Windows 8 running on a cracked KMS server.

Reasoning behind it? Simply because, I haven't got the money. I'm a 13 year old kid with no income and unwilling parents, how else am I going to use the latest and greatest operating systems :/ - I do think it is wrong and I would switch to the legitimate way if possible. Sadly, for me, it isn't.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Vextor said:
Nope. I'm currently using a pirated version of Windows 8 running on a cracked KMS server.

Reasoning behind it? Simply because, I haven't got the money. I'm a 13 year old kid with no income and unwilling parents, how else am I going to use the latest and greatest operating systems :/ - I do think it is wrong and I would switch to the legitimate way if possible. Sadly, for me, it isn't.

Same here. :D But using a pirated Windows 7, and that's why I am planning to switch to Linux. :D

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Nope, I'm using a Windows 8 Acer laptop except I'm not using the Windows 8 that came with it. I deleted it for Linux. Then ended up coming back but had to download a Windows 8 to install it again. But it activated itself again. Least no more obnoxious Acer bloat!

However, on my old laptop that came with Vista which by the water had a BSOD the first time turning it on out of the box lol. Anyways, I did upgrade to Windows 7 when it came out and it was a pirated copy.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm using all systems are genuine Windows.

2 systems running OEM (HP, Compaq) Windows XP SP3.
Main system is an upgrade to Windows 7x64 (custom built ASUS + AMD).
My laptop is OEM (Acer) Windows 8x64.
1 system running OEM (eMachines) Windows Vista SP2x64.
I also have an OEM (iBuyPower) Gaming PC running Windows 7x64 which is used by my nephew comes to visit and my friends who are gamers.

Thanks.:D

V

Vextor

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Vextor said:

Same here. :D But using a pirated Windows 7, and that's why I am planning to switch to Linux. :D

Issue with Linux and such other operating systems is the usability - Linux seems to be getting harder and harder to use. While some people may disagree, the main fact is, give someone you know who isn't Tech Savvy a Linux distro, and what will happen is that they can't use it.

I would use a Linux Distro myself if I had my own computer, however, another issue coming from that is the lack of software (which, of course, could be solved by a dual-boot setup, but it would eventually lead to me only using Windows since I would get frustrated at having to dual-boot to virtually do the most simplest of tasks like photo-editing, due to the lack of Photoshop).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Nope, Only in VM's.

But I am using a pirated version of MS Office.

Like 3link9 said, yes I am for my VM's but for my actual machines no. They are all genuine.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well supporting on piracy is a dangerous part.

And this came for us to be logic if its good or bad as everything have vital importance however literally a bad tradition.

Anyway, I've admitted that during Windows XP days, pirated OS installed but not allowed to receive updates for avoided problems.

Today, a genuine Windows 7 and 8 for Ultrabook and Netbook.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Vextor said:

Actually the version of windows you are running is Genuine for all intents and purposes, its the KMS server that is not, you didn't crack Win 8, you activated it in the correct way for that version of Windows

I used to run my OSs cracked too, I have no problems with running pirate versions of windows, not like MS are going to go bust and actually for cases exactly as this one, it doesn't cost them a penny, you were not going to buy it in the first place so why does activating it via KMS cost them anything? It doesn't ;)

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i am using a MS 2003 given from another friend which i believe is not being used in the meantime . I do not know if this is legitimate or not .Since my friend is being fair enough to not use it i can take advantage to it.
What you guys think? If this is not allowed i might be sticking to a free Office Suite
Kingsoft
OpenOffice
Libre
and i might be using another free client email like Mozilla Thunderbird

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you have a budget and not willing to download a piracy then go for the latest version of MS Office.

Or open source programs which are same and easy to used if for only basic task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.