Poll - Update or Clean Install the May 2020 Update

Do you plan to update or clean install the soon to be released Windows 10 May (2004) update?

• Update my existing 1809 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Update my existing 1903 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Update my existing 1909 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Clean install 2004

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Don't plan to upgrade for now

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I look at clean installs as a last resort. I keep a pretty clean image just in case, but keeping it up to date with things installed on other drives is tedious. Honestly clean installs as a preventative measure is a bit overkill. Most people have no issue with updates, some do. A clean install will prevent issues. But you are doing the work before you ever encounter an issue. Same with delaying updates, I have an image to revert to which takes about 5 minutes, so I don't delay updates.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That's it! My new experiment uninstall Bitdefender (like I would for a big update anyway) and move to ESET. No clean install unless issues. No more bored...well still bored until the update hits.
Why change from BD? You use paid version, right? If I had it I would leave it, even for the the update. Play with browsers or something if you must play. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I already updated my virtual machine (by joining Insiders) and it looks good. However, virtual machines usually update more smoothly, because less hardware issues. A virtual machine doesn't talk directly to the hardware. It lets the host machine do that.

I recently cloned my 1903 installation from an i5 6th-gen machine to a new i7 9th-gen machine. No particular issues. A couple weeks ago, I cloned from an i3 5th-gen dell laptop to an i5 10th-gen ASUS laptop. It needed some drivers, but now it is zipping along without issues.

I avoid reinstallions when I can, because for me they entail many hours of work, until everything is set up the way I like. If necessary, I restore an old system image, rather than reinstalling.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I did a clean install a few weeks ago due to a new mainboard & CPU, (out of interest Windows did sort itself & the clean install wasn't much different & sorted drivers out itself) so I'll' update this time - In my experience updating these days doesn't cause any issues at all & for me I have a fair amount of programs none Microsoft so a clean install every six months would be a none starter.- As it is updating works fine.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I will have to clean install my laptop, an upgrade failed because of SAFE_OS error. I hear, that 29GB free is not enough, it needs at least 32GB, but I am afraid of the unsupported hardware issues. But considering, that there will not be another update for a year, just a service pack later, I might give it a go.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I upgraded my laptop my laptop already so far no problems, but I'm wondering if I should turn on windows insider because I'm not sure what will happen when the update gets officially released does anyone have any idea about this?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I upgraded my laptop my laptop already so far no problems, but I'm wondering if I should turn on windows insider because I'm not sure what will happen when the update gets officially released does anyone have any idea about this?
There's no need to do that. It will work as it you had waited to for it to be officially released. The only exception being if there is there are any updates added before the official release, the updates will be available from Windows Update.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wait until 2004 is out, and then make a clean install with media creation tool. I use a 256 GB SSD, so if I just update it with Windows update, too much space will be lost.
If not enough space is available, Windows Updates will ask for an external USB to be connected.

To free up more space safely, try these:
After the OS upgrade, Run Storage cleaner settings to delete previous Windows.old data.
Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028075/windows-delete-your-previous-version-of-windows

Disable Hibernation from Command Prompt (Admin), which will safely delete the hiberfil.sys for you. IIRC the Hibernation file uses 75% of your total RAM installed, of disk storage space.
Link: What Is hiberfil.sys and How Do I Delete It?

Use Files On-Demand in Microsoft OneDrive.
Link: Save disk space with OneDrive Files On-Demand for Windows 10

Other ways to free up space:
  • Clear browser caches
  • Delete old files and software installers from Downloads folder
  • Uninstall unused or out-dated software
  • Delete older System Restore points

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As was already said, it is not necesary to join Insiders. And if you do, you will continually be pushed on to the next Insiders build. So as soon as the stable version of 2004 is released, it is important to leave the Insiders program, if you want to stay on the stable version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.