Poll - Update or Clean Install the May 2020 Update

Do you plan to update or clean install the soon to be released Windows 10 May (2004) update?

• Update my existing 1809 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Update my existing 1903 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Update my existing 1909 installation via Windows Update

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Clean install 2004

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Don't plan to upgrade for now

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've seen this update described as "underwhelming," but when I eventually update, I'll download the iso and update it from there. (On a related note, it took me 3.5 hr. to download the 5 GB 1909 iso on a slow WiFi connection. My Android tablet erased the file after downloading 4 GB of it because, as I discovered, it can't recognize files larger than 4 GB.)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'll upgrade from Windows Update. Usually I download the ISO and manually upgrade early. But this time I'll wait until it is available from Windows Update.

I prefer to upgrade, rather than doing a clean install, as I don't have issues after upgrading. If Umbra was still around, he would insist that you need to do a clean install. But, I find that upgrading works fine and it saves the hassle of having to reinstall apps.

May 14, 2020
I am not going to upgrade for the moment. Waiting to be fixed all the necessary bugs. 😊
Yep, I have feature updates paused up to 14 days, if little tiny Patch Tuesday updates can wreck havoc, then who knows what a major feature update can do, just look at the initial release of 1809: MS had to pull the update entirely because the first batch was deleting people's files...

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I'll update from 1909 on all of our Windows devices. I had to do a clean install on a PC for 1909 after than messed up the machine completely as an update. I don't want to have to do the re-installing software routine again, I value my time doing other things than what should be unnecessary. But, I'll wait a bit longer to do this, as others have said, MS have a track record of having to pull updates that I'd rather not get caught up in. I haven't seen any things included in 2004 that are absolute must-haves immediately. Delaying security patches worries me far more than features updates.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you install the update now, what will happen when its released through windows update officially do you continue to receive updates as normal?
If you install it now, you must be insider on slow ring i guess and you will receive all the updates bit before stable gets them

I suggest you to not rush and revert back to stable channel and just wait patiently , its just a week away i think

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I've read there are good features in Windows 10 2004 i would clean install on my lappy after 2 weeks or so because i want to read some reviews and might upgrade to the 2004 in my PC after a month or so

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.