HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Why?

- PopUpOFF doesn’t just block some popups that other developers paid for, but YOU are in control of it. You decide not to have any single overlay on the screen or casually remove only the most annoying things (hi cookie notifications and subscription popups).
- You can unlock and read PAID content FOR FREE on some websites (see the video above).
- Size of this extension is 100 times less than any other average popup blocker in the store. Size doesn’t matter? Well… I’m not so sure.
- PopUpOFF is a non-commercial and open-source project. It means no ads, no tracking, everything it has is available for you for free and forever. I am RomanistHere and I’m giving you this piece of better web.

Drawbacks?

- It still is in development, so there could be bugs or imperfect solutions, I’m working on it solo and there are other things in the world to do. So be gentle, I created it for myself back then, but now I’m doing it for you.
- PopUpOFF is as addictive as it gets. After you start using it, there would be no way back. You are warned

You can get more info here

For Chrome

For Firefox

Available for other browsers as well

So far it works well for me and I have removed 'I don't care about cookies' extension since it also has the ability to remove cookie notifications

Some screenshots below

1615773779245.png

1615773839488.png

1615773931801.png

1615773964092.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's a pleasure guys. If you have some questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to contact me :)
Hi, thanks for coming in

When I use Aggressive and Moderate-Dormant modes the colors in the gifs went off as below. When I do a post reply the colors also went off in the last picture. You can see the A and M in the icon on the top right side

I'm using Ungoogled Chromium browser

One other thing. I tried it on Ungoogled Chromium browser for android and it seems not working. I can install it but its cookie notification blocking is not working......I think the extension is not working at all

1615793009400.png

1615793254353.png

1615793406726.png

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Trying it on Chrome (Moderate mode) with Ublock Origin. I disabled I Don't Care About Cookies. So far so good on my preferred sites. Does not take a lot of memory on Chrome: 13240 kB.

Last edited:

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
Hi, thanks for coming in

When I use Aggressive and Medium-Dormant modes the colors in the gifs went off as below. When I do a post reply the colors also went off in the last picture. You can see the A and M in the icon on the top right side

I'm using Ungoogled Chromium browser

One other thing. I tried it on Ungoogled Chromium browser for android and it seems not working. I can install it but its cookie notification blocking is not working......I think the extension is not working at all

View attachment 255549
I'll investigate this, but I don't see a way how popupoff could affect images, are you sure that the problem is actually from there? What I need to reproduce the issue?

About phones, I didn't created this addon for mobile browsers and haven't really tried it there. However some of users told me that it's working fine in mobile Vivaldi. Making it work for non-desktop browsers is only in plans for now :)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@RomanistHere

Hi, thanks for developing this extension and joining in. May I suggest a feature request?

Have a look at policy control, it has a default and a tick box where it is possible to set a configuration for a specific website.

Applying this for your extension makes s possible to set an (override) mode for any website, switching from the default medium mode to aggressive (blacklist) or from medium mode to dormant mode (whitelist). The GUI change is easier to program than adding an exception database per website and apply it ti the current/active tab.

1615801344759.png

Selecting or de-selecting the tick-box would enable or remove a website specific override

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'll investigate this, but I don't see a way how popupoff could affect images, are you sure that the problem is actually from there? What I need to reproduce the issue?

About phones, I didn't created this addon for mobile browsers and haven't really tried it there. However some of users told me that it's working fine in mobile Vivaldi. Making it work for non-desktop browsers is only in plans for now :)
The cat gifs are from this site. I tested them in Aggressive and Moderate modes and the gifs are ok.

You can go to the below site and page and test it.

FYI, at one time Dark Reader extension also has the same problem (colors went off) with that site with YouTube trailers and links. However, after a few updates on Dark Reader extension the issue was solved.

Lastly, I may be wrong, I don't think Vivaldi for android supports extensions. Maybe you are referring to Kiwi browser.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@RomanistHere

Hi, thanks for developing this extension and joining in. May I suggest a feature request?

Have a look at policy control, it has a default and a tick box where it is possible to set a configuration for a specific website.

Applying this for your extension makes s possible to set an (override) mode for any website, switching from the default medium mode to aggressive (blacklist) or from medium mode to dormant mode (whitelist). The GUI change is easier to program than adding an exception database per website and apply it ti the current/active tab.

View attachment 255552

Selecting or de-selecting the tick-box would enable or remove a website specific override
In addition, it would be good to indicate the site like what's being done for Dark Reader extension especially when you open many tabs

1615805049390.png

Last edited:

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
Maybe you are referring to Kiwi browser.
May be :)

The cat gifs are from this site
I've checked the images. It does not seem possible that my extension can do something except hide the image or some other content on the website. Not the colors of the image itself.

it would be good to indicate the site like what's being done for Dark Reader extension especially when you open many tabs
I'll install this extension and check it out :)

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
Ok. Sorry I forgot to specify, is that for Automode or you prefer doing it for every website?
I suggest everyone to set Dormant as automode (or Moderate), set up keyboard shortcut for Aggressive (or Moderate if you like sticky headers) - so when you enter the website and there are popups, Ctrl + x and that's it. It's the way I use it. Can't live without it though :)

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
@RomanistHere

By default, picking a different mode from one active right now will override it forever for the given website.

So for example, you have Moderate by default (automode) - going to duckduckgo and can't sign up (I know you can't) because there is a popup for this and PopUpOFF is blocking it. So you click the extension and set the Dormant mode - from now on and till you pick another mode duckduckgo should be whitelisted (Dormant mode will be active) - you just need to reload already opened pages. I'm going to make it automatically in the next update. So yeah, did I get you right, that you want to apply different modes for different pages on the same website? If so, I can't promise it, because it would bring so much complexity for not advanced users, but I'll think about it :)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've had a while this morning giving it a try, my problems was on a page with a video(s), for example bbc.co.uk/weather/xxx & moderate - I'll try the advise above as it looks like a great extension, & it's early days yet as running it - The issues were with Edge & AdGuard extension & No Thanks - Thank you.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
May be :)

I've checked the images. It does not seem possible that my extension can do something except hide the image or some other content on the website. Not the colors of the image itself.

I'll install this extension and check it out :)
Like I said the gifs were ok at the

and they were also ok if I set your PopUpOff to Dormant mode in the below site. However, if I set to Moderate/Aggressive modes the images were not ok as can be seen from my previous attachments in post #5

See below image.

1615811523478.png

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019

By default, picking a different mode from one active right now will override it forever for the given website.

So for example, you have Moderate by default (automode) - going to duckduckgo and can't sign up (I know you can't) because there is a popup for this and PopUpOFF is blocking it. So you click the extension and set the Dormant mode - from now on and till you pick another mode duckduckgo should be whitelisted (Dormant mode will be active) :)
That is the use case I suggested, on website (domain) level not page level, I did not RTFM, so this is already implemented. :oops:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've put Dormant in Automode, but for some reason it went Aggressive on Youtube? The search bar and everything went missing, I didn't know what was going on.
For me mine sticks in Dormant mode. Note that after each new setting you need to reload PopUpOff and the YouTube page for it to take effect

1615852763927.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.