Possible Kaspersky source code leak

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
As expected just some kiddies wanting attention... some fun comments from that thread...
lol, but I still waiting for some interesting stuff, perhaps 1% of their "source code leaks" consists of real (at least low level) severity leaks.

A recent reply from the "Network Battalion 65 (leader?)" :

Also, I want to point out that Hackerone (major vulnerability coordination and bug bounty platform) disabled Kaspersky's bug bounty program account and is pretty sure all Russian bounty programs there... This is relevant to this thread (some source code leaks will lead to vulnerability discovery and in the end, 0-day exploits) and a previously deleted "Conflict and sanctions effect on the Russian product like Kaspersky" thread.
This will cause trouble since it's Kaspersky's main platform for bug and vulnerability reporting, latest hackivity was 7 days ago (2-3 reports during the invasion).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
He wanted attention, he got it by fooling people 😄
It's better that Kaspersky is safe. Good for consumers.
I like this article. Well written except the classless part on which he pointed fingers towards Bitdefender for nothing. This reminded me of Eugune Kaspersky's unprofessional bashing of Windows Defender back in the day.

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
He wanted attention, he got it by fooling people 😄
It's better that Kaspersky is safe. Good for consumers.

I like this article. Well written except the classless part on which he pointed fingers towards Bitdefender for nothing. This reminded me of Eugune Kaspersky's unprofessional bashing of Windows Defender back in the day.
Where bashing?

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
That's it? lol well they could have at least tried. What's the point of "leaking" a list of their cloud, update and signature database servers that you can literally find in their own forums? Going to bed...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Then, it was old case.
Yes. As MD has become much better than it used to be, those type of dig won't work anymore. I just said that the unnecessary dig by this Kaspersky employee reminded me of Eugune's unprofessional blog. Otherwise, it's alright.

Reactions: Szellem

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Every Kaspersky user be ready to uninstall if this is true and Kaspersky becomes attacked 😅

Already switched to ESET IS from Kaspersky AV (Paid) not because of my support for Ukraine but simply felt concerned about how good Kaspersky can perform when Russia and its companies faces sanctions from the west. Not sure if their threat intelligence collection networks will continue to work as intended 🤔

Last edited:
L

Local Host

lol, but I still waiting for some interesting stuff, perhaps 1% of their "source code leaks" consists of real (at least low level) severity leaks.

A recent reply from the "Network Battalion 65 (leader?)" :

Also, I want to point out that Hackerone (major vulnerability coordination and bug bounty platform) disabled Kaspersky's bug bounty program account and is pretty sure all Russian bounty programs there... This is relevant to this thread (some source code leaks will lead to vulnerability discovery and in the end, 0-day exploits) and a previously deleted "Conflict and sanctions effect on the Russian product like Kaspersky" thread.
This will cause trouble since it's Kaspersky's main platform for bug and vulnerability reporting, latest hackivity was 7 days ago (2-3 reports during the invasion).

There's nothing to see, is files available to the public and is not the source of anything.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I like this article. Well written except the classless part on which he pointed fingers towards Bitdefender for nothing.
You know what! I take back what I said.
I missed this line initially. But after seeing this, I understand the point Kaspersky's employee made there.
Bitdefender is also providing cybersecurity technology free of charge for one year to any company or public entity from a NATO or European Union country who seeks to enhance their cybersecurity posture by replacing cybersecurity solutions that present trust concerns from a technical or geopolitical perspective.
Basically, Bitdefender indirectly (more like directly) telling everyone that if you switch from Kaspersky (Implying you should, because it's Russian) to Bitdefender then we'll give you a free one year license of our product.
This is bad. Bad practice from Bitdefender. Even though Kaspersky is one of your biggest rivals, as a fellow cybersecurity company you shouldn't kick them while they are down. You shouldn't have included this line. They are taking advantage of the war. Bad marketing tactic to lure more users. Malpractice.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

I missed this line initially. But after seeing this, I understand the point Kaspersky's employee made there.

Basically, Bitdefender indirectly (more like directly) telling everyone that if you switch from Kaspersky (Implying you should, because it's Russian) to Bitdefender then we'll give you a free one year license of our product.
This is bad. Bad practice from Bitdefender. Even though Kaspersky is one of your biggest rivals, as a fellow cybersecurity company you shouldn't kick them while they are down. You shouldn't have included this line. They are taking advantage of the war. Bad marketing tactic to lure more users. Malpractice.
Yeah I’m not a fan of the vulturing/opportunistic luring of Kaspersky’s customers either. I think it’s valid of a concern if an individual or a business either is concerned about the product quality going down or simply has issues doing business with a Russian company as the sanctions continue increasing. But trying to offer free / discounted licenses is just in poor taste.

Well this leak turned out to be a total waste of everyone’s time….

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020

I don’t like Bitdefender as a product and as a company!In this current situation, business policy is unfair.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.