Potplayer has Trojan?

JGKnotts

Thread author
Oct 10, 2017
Sorry if this is in the wrong place! Mods please move it to the right one, if so. I panicked, but my computer shows no signs of infection, so.....

Is this a false positive? Virustotal identified a trojan in Potplayer, which I just downloaded: Tencent .......... Win32.Trojan.Falsesign.Agbi .......... 20170829

My computer shows no signs of infection, and I can't find anything on the internet about Potplayer being dangerous. I downloaded it from the official, fully secure site, Softonic, which claimed it had been scanned and found safe.

I've heard false positives are common with media/music. I had the same problem yesterday with VLC, which I promptly uninstalled after Virustotal showed a trojan and a malware file, but deep scans with both my AV and Malwarebytes showed a clean system except for two PUAs apparently from Amazon. And still my computer showed no signs of infection, so I'm thinking maybe the VLC was actually clean, too.

I'm not tech-savvy at all, though, so I'd really appreciate some help with this...should I let it go and hope for the best, or do I need to uninstall Potplayer and try yet another media player?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If this helps:
Antivirus scan for a83d4df1d9a6f141b1002f77d5dbd69e06a54bd4dd372fb8476e80c3beb9796e at 2017-08-29 15:35:29 UTC - VirusTotal

JGKnotts

Thread author
Oct 10, 2017
Edit: Twice now, Potplayer has asked me to install updates since installing an hour ago, saying " a new version is available." I said yes because I'm exhausted at this point...is this incredibly stupid? Is it a sign of malware?

It's playing like it should, though...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.