Advice Request PotPlayer possible issues

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Anyone having PotPlayer opening a small windows on the bottom right corner of the screen for few seconds after you open it? Not every time but often. Is this an ad or what? It's blank on my system and I use Adguard DNS so wondering if the DNS is blocking the ad! I've denied internet connection for PotPlayer in firewall and not seeing it anymore. This is not a good move if it's an ad. Can anyone confirm this?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Anyone having PotPlayer opening a small windows on the bottom right corner of the screen for few seconds after you open it? Not every time but often. Is this an ad or what? It's blank on my system and I use Adguard DNS so wondering if the DNS is blocking the ad! I've denied internet connection for PotPlayer in firewall and not seeing it anymore. This is not a good move if it's an ad. Can anyone confirm this?
I am not using any DNS blocking and still I only get a blank window which closes after few secs, happening since few months.

Reactions: Nevi

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I am not using any DNS blocking and still I only get a blank window which closes after few secs, happening since few months.
First thing first you will have to state what version of potplayer you are using.
Potplayer have different versions: PotPlayer 200908 / 201016 Beta Free Download - VideoHelp , may be you have on your system potplayer that include ads. Mine does not do that because I use the ad free 1. Check above link so that you can see.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
First thing first you will have to state what version of potplayer you are using.
Potplayer have different versions: PotPlayer 200908 / 201016 Beta Free Download - VideoHelp , may be you have on your system potplayer that include ads. Mine does not do that because I use the ad free 1. Check above link so that you can see.
I get no ads just a blank screen, only once daily.
Screenshot 2020-10-16 221734.jpg

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
I whant to block potplayer with kaspersky total security 2021 but i cant!what settings i need to block app in kaspersky app !!!

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I whant to block potplayer with kaspersky total security 2021 but i cant!what settings i need to block app in kaspersky app !!!
Block this (PotPlayerMini64) with Kaspersky firewall.
Block with firewall only nothing else.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Nothing found. I have no system wide adblocker installed. No custom DNS (for now).

View attachment 247414
Why I told you to scan is because it install some pup name fusion or something like that, as seeing your clean i can't think of any other reason why potplayer should got something popping up blank on your screen that certainly is a new 1 for me. At least we tried .
Something else now came to mind, i wonder if it's trying to update but as the update is bundled the security on your pc stops it, that is the only thing i can think of that is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
i tried but not work,search for update and work,how i block app in firewall k ?
If you need it to stop checking for updates I'll show you an image look at the last tab which switch off updates, I think that's the best way for you.
Right click on potplayer and select preferences and look in general.

Attachments

• 0.PNG
    0.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Yes, but just for one second. (lol, I don't read your question well, no small windows in my PC)

Mine opening a media file:

Last edited:

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I am looking for an eject function in potplayer, I can not find.
I don't know or is it at all?
does anyone know if there is?

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
PotPlayer had tried to include ads in it's installer in the past, now that has been removed. Currently there's a pop-up with it's logo that appears during the first time Player is launched after system restart. It doesn't happen every single time. There's a good chance that it might place an ad in the future inside the pop-up, but not yet. On Videohelp, there used to be ad-free versions of the player, when it started including ads in the installer, but now there isn't because there's no more ads in the installer.

I believe that if you block PotPlayerMini.exe then you disable the feature to. search and download subtitles. If you block the installer from accessing the internet, then you fail to download OpenCodec which is required to download proprietary .h265 codec for playback. Even with all the nuances it's still arguably the best video player out there at the moment by a long mile.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.