Battle PotPlayer vs MPC-HC vs VLC

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I tried Potplayer for several weeks, the audio is much better than in MPC, but lately they started to distribute something unsigned, so PatchMyPC always fails to update it
PotPlayer started bundling offers to it's installer. Like most other good freeware software's PotPlayer has fallen victim to this too.

To everyone who's using PotPlayer you can get the clean version from Videohelp: PotPlayer 1.7.19955 / 1.7.20228 Beta Free Download - VideoHelp (scroll down to check for ad-free version)

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I got a couple of videos in MPEG-TS format and tested them using different media players.

For MPC-HC (with and without K-Lite Standard), MPC-BE (with and without Shark007 Advanced), VLC, and others, the videos were delayed when I skipped every few seconds. However, there were no problems with K-Lite using Windows Media Player (WMP), PotPlayer with OpenCodec, and GOM.

I couldn't find a way to keep the window size and position after closing WMP and GOM. Also, I couldn't find any audio settings in GOM other than stereo and "original," and a popup ad appeared after I closed it. The window size and audio features were available in PotPlayer, and I couldn't remember anything bundled with the copy I got from their site except for an option to get OpenCodec (which I did), so I used that player but with all program files blocked using Firewall App Blocker.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I got a couple of videos in MPEG-TS format and tested them using different media players.

For MPC-HC (with and without K-Lite Standard), MPC-BE (with and without Shark007 Advanced), VLC, and others, the videos were delayed when I skipped every few seconds. However, there were no problems with K-Lite using Windows Media Player (WMP), PotPlayer with OpenCodec, and GOM.

I couldn't find a way to keep the window size and position after closing WMP and GOM. Also, I couldn't find any audio settings in GOM other than stereo and "original," and a popup ad appeared after I closed it. The window size and audio features were available in PotPlayer, and I couldn't remember anything bundled with the copy I got from their site except for an option to get OpenCodec (which I did), so I used that player but with all program files blocked using Firewall App Blocker.
PotPlayer is great but don't know if its related to my hardware but videos in PotPlayer always looks a bit whitish compared to K-Lite, VLC, etc. Try to compare if you can.
Btw the original MPC-HC has been discontinued for few years now so K-Lite is the main MPC variant now.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
PotPlayer is great but don't know if its related to my hardware but videos in PotPlayer always looks a bit whitish compared to K-Lite, VLC, etc. Try to compare if you can.
Btw the original MPC-HC has been discontinued for few years now so K-Lite is the main MPC variant now.
Try resetting PotPlayer by going to Preferences->click on Initialize button (at the bottom). Make sure to save your preferences if you have customized heavily.

Another option is to try a different video renderer: Right click on UI->Video->Video renderer

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
After using PP for several months, I can say, that I have enjoyed listening to the background sounds in movies, literally unheard of in other players, but I still do not like its GUI too much. In VLC, one can enable 5.1 on stereo, that gives a similar effect, but not available in MPC, at least not easily.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Try resetting PotPlayer by going to Preferences->click on Initialize button (at the bottom). Make sure to save your preferences if you have customized heavily.

Another option is to try a different video renderer: Right click on UI->Video->Video renderer
I didn't change anything. Tried changing renderer including madvr but still the same whiter than normal effect. It's not noticeable in general but comparing with other players makes it obvious. The same goes for KMPlayer which is internally the same as PotPlayer.

Reactions: show-Zi and Cortex

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
After using PP for several months, I can say, that I have enjoyed listening to the background sounds in movies, literally unheard of in other players
On default settings?
In VLC, one can enable 5.1 on stereo, that gives a similar effect, but not available in MPC, at least not easily.
Can you tell where that option is?

Reactions: Cortex

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
On default settings?
Yes, one of the reasons it, everything is enabled by default, except hardware acceleration, but that is one click of button, unlike in MPC-HC, that is a pain.
Can you tell where that option is?
It was a simple right click - Audio - 5.1 Output, but it is no longer there?! This option seems similar, but it does nothing with audible difference. :(

Attachments

• capture_08172020_101705.jpg
    capture_08172020_101705.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 590
  • capture_08172020_102137.jpg
    capture_08172020_102137.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 613

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I use SM player, mainly just for checking any DVD rips I've done which isn't very often - On my Android TV I use Kodi to watch ripped films from external drive.

Reactions: ANNOx and show-Zi

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
On PC, I've moved from PP to SMPlayer as it supports casting. Otherwise, PP has been my "go to" media app.

For 'droid tablets, VLC is my "go to" with some subtitle download bugginess.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
After using PP for several months, I can say, that I have enjoyed listening to the background sounds in movies, literally unheard of in other players, but I still do not like its GUI too much. In VLC, one can enable 5.1 on stereo, that gives a similar effect, but not available in MPC, at least not easily.
There's setting for 5.1 audio in SMPlayer and also in K-Lite codec under LAV Audio. I was going through settings for these apps and found the options and remembered your comment. I don't have good hardware so can't check the effectiveness but if someone here with proper hardware find it useful, you can check these.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
There's setting for 5.1 audio in SMPlayer
Indeed, it makes the difference compared to the stereo in SMPlayer, but surprisingly Potplayer is set to Stereo, but when switched to 5.1, it gets worse.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 545
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 524

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.