Serious Discussion Privacy: "I have nothing to hide?" Argument (What's your say?)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Do forum members realize you are labeled an extremist by the NSA/CIA/FBI for discussing security and privacy topics on forums?

Your already in a database somewhere and are being actively monitored. Your already on a watch list.

But who cares right? No such thing as privacy right? I have nothing to hide right?

When you are blackmailed in the future for something you said 20 years ago on forum I'm sure you will wish you stood up for your privacy.
Web sites are NOT free: the merchandise are us, our identity, our habits.

Freedom is not free: it has a costs.

Where are our data?
In the hands of who?
For what are they used for?

And the next time you are going through your mind the sentence, “if I have nothing to hide, I don't see the problem if they control me," do you think that the problem is you?

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I'm mostly concerned with privacy and security because of identity theft and hackers in general, not so much about governments...at least not on this side of the world. The idea of being tracked is of course unsettling as I mentioned in my post above.
But I see a very serious threat in countries with dictatorships trying to find out who speaks against the regime and putting an end to them.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Do forum members realize you are labeled an extremist by the NSA/CIA/FBI for discussing security and privacy topics on forums?

Your already in a database somewhere and are being actively monitored. Your already on a watch list.

But who cares right? No such thing as privacy right? I have nothing to hide right?

When you are blackmailed in the future for something you said 20 years ago on forum I'm sure you will wish you stood up for your privacy.
That's precisely why I say Mass Surveillance isn't about Privacy, its about Control. It is about stopping discussion. Any Government that doesn't trust its people seeks to control them. Even China allows its people to discuss. I remember being quite shocked when there how openly critical people there were about their Government, often in public. I was then told by one policeman I got to know personally though there 'You can criticize as much as you like, and the Government won't do anything, they will only attack you if you actually try to do something about it (ie criticise them abroad, demonstrate etc).

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
That's precisely why I say Mass Surveillance isn't about Privacy, its about Control. It is about stopping discussion. Any Government that doesn't trust its people seeks to control them. Even China allows its people to discuss. I remember being quite shocked when there how openly critical people there were about their Government, often in public. I was then told by one policeman I got to know personally though there 'You can criticize as much as you like, and the Government won't do anything, they will only attack you if you actually try to do something about it.
Exactly. This is why it's fourth amendment material. I may be wrong here.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Lockdown Democracy is more damage control than anything. They'll only do something when its overtly hurting them. The hurt here is basically unseen, unimmediate and requires foresight. Something a collective average doesn't do. In fact, this can be manipulated and abused through manipulation and dependence because of the lack of foresight making them want immediate over long-term benefits since they simply react.
--Yey! Level 3--

Last edited:

@Lockdown Democracy is more damage control than anything. They'll only do something when its overtly hurting them. The hurt here is basically unseen, unimmediate and requires foresight. Something a collective average doesn't do. In fact, this can be manipulated and abused through manipulation and dependence because of the lack of foresight making them want immediate over long-term benefits since they simply react.

Typical people have no inclination towards activism to protect themselves - they are too busy living their day-to-day lives or whatever else it is that typical people do.

I signed-out Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto once from a public library. At one time, doing that drew the government's attention since it was reported and then the monitored via lists. They would flag the person as a suspected communist or sympathizer.

Activism has a cost anyway.

In my book it is better for me to bare the burden of that cost to keep my freedoms. Once you lose your freedoms permanently you'll be willing to pay any price to get them back - but by then it's usually way too little, way too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
That is Good !!!
double edged sword.
Is it so? No!
  • What is the price for freedom and democracy? No 100% security -Since for privacy!
  • 100% Security is an illusion!!!
  • 100% security through absolute monitoring is an illusion!
The right to privacy is a human right!
  • Data retention, video surveillance, prepaid cards and more.
    None of these has really helped to prevent the crime and terror.
    It serves only for the purpose of seeing in retrospect how it was done.
  • The privacy and democracy is a unity,
    The one can not exist without the other!
  • All dictatorships monitor their citizens because they are weak,
    And want to preserve their power.
    Only democracy allows privacy, Because democracy is strong.
  • If we break the privacy of democracy,
    And a total surveillance, we have no more democracy
    But a dictatorship!
    Just like in the movie with Minority Report with Tom Cruise
Who are the advocates of this technique of monitoring and breaking privacy?
  • Lobbyists of secret services and business.
    While it is even more or less understandable the secret services
    And law enforcement agencies want to have more data.
    If business is concerned about the money, whether through data sale and application
    Of the data to generate even more profit.
    And to the sale of hardware and infrastructure!
  • BIGDATA the billions business.
    Whether a person is on the Internet or in shops,
    Everywhere he leaves traces that are evaluated and sold!
    Bigdata then creates from the man a provil, this can buy everyone
    Whether insurance companies - companies.
    What they do with the data, only you know!
    What happens to the data that is wrong and once a human being
    Assigned? They remain his Provil even if they are false
    were! With all the disadvantages that result for these people.
  • What else is done with personal data:
    Opinion-making, to influence, to personalized (political) advertising, to electoral influence in the social media.
    Decrypt visitors, increase sales
    It's all about power and control!
  • SpiegelMining – Reverse Engineering von Spiegel-Online (33c3)

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
One of the most interesting discussions of this year (2007). I have nothing to hide. Yes, i say this but why does it have to be only black & white with privacy. I want to hide my sensitive information but not all other things. And i take regular steps to hide it too.

The most interesting statement was about wearing clothes to hide, tell me this - You are all for wearing clothes, i am too, but that doesn't mean i want to wear clothes on my face, my eyes, my ears, my nose, etc (environmental actors aside). In the same way i want privacy too, but that doesn't mean i have to be so much private that no one knows you exist, because let's face it people, that is of no ones business. Right?

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I'm thinking that governments have become more sophisticated or maybe it just became easier for them to abuse stuff. I think breaches in privacy are now increasingly being used to manipulate rather than censor. They know now what to do with the data more than ever. Combined with the corporate media, they can easily do so and they must've done so since both are already the least trusted organizations. Manipulation and censorship might be the same but they're not only censoring to manipulate, they're actually trying to orchestrate stuff and run away with excuses. I saw this in western governments at least, don't know about others but third world countries' governments are probably too dumb anyway to do something as sophisticated. Some probably just blackmail better countries.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017

This is not true.
So which one of you blew your cover as an NSA/CIA/FBI agent? You both know for a fact that this is either true or false. Between over-exaggeration and under-exaggeration, I'm sure there is a middle ground.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 178

This thread is a good laugh :D

what is privacy? privacy is basically keeping private informations for yourself.

Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves, or information about themselves, and thereby express themselves selectively. The boundaries and content of what is considered private differ among cultures and individuals, but share common themes.

now can you do it ? No and Yes...

No: because even before you are born, you were under scrutiny. And since your birth , your government can access your whole life in the servers of various administrations and entities (schools, banks, etc...) which will gladly cooperate with any agencies if asked "politely" with a warrant. Problem is that those datas will never be deleted; unless yo manage to generate a global EMP.
Should i mention CCTVs and satellites?

Yes:
go into the jungle or a cave, hunt animals with a bow you have made from wood and collect fruits on trees, live like a hermit, forfeit any modern life, cover yourself with mud (because satellites have heat sensors) . Then you may enjoy privacy , but be sure to kill all those spying monkeys sitting on trees !

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

So which one of you blew your cover as an NSA/CIA/FBI agent? You both know for a fact that this is either true or false. Between over-exaggeration and under-exaggeration, I'm sure there is a middle ground.
I got calls from NSA/CIA/FBI:DI said have nothing to hide:pthey said fineo_OI have heard horror stories of them:mad:them are lovely people;)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read more at A VPN can stop internet companies from selling your data — but it’s not a magic bullet

We shouldn't have to buy trust as an add-on service

While a huge number of companies provide VPNs, many have potential security flaws or could put your data at risk. It’s also difficult to tell how secure a VPN actually is, and what it’s doing with your data.

So what are you supposed to do if you want to use one? The short answer is to avoid free services.

Otherwise, make sure a paid VPN has a privacy policy you’re okay with, and can handle the threats you’re relying on it to protect you from. And on a larger scale, remember that the best solution is still policies that would tackle the problem at the source: ISPs’ ability to sell your data.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I've always said that “If I have nothing to hide (I don't care if they control me)” is the most dangerous statement against the privacy and personal freedom, that a man may say to himself and to others.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Privacy goes hand in hand with security. But what most people forget is settings and opt-outs. Let's take Android for starters, since that's all I use.
1) Your account with the ISP (internet service provider) like Sprint in my case, has settings and opt-outs & OPT-INS so be careful. You should log in online to make adjustments to everything allowed.

2) Your device OEM. Same thing as above. They all want a piece of the action. Here, you should seek to find respected third party apps, without ads. Paid pro versions, or I've found many free, ad free apps, usually open source, which I donated to. The less you use oem products, the less they have on you.

3) "Google"! Love, hate relationship. However, they offer more settings and controlled over your personal info now, more than ever. Explore these thoroughly. You'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much control you DO have.

4) Use a browser like Firefox that you can harden against all types of threats, especially making it more private. Aside from add-ons or soon to be extensions, they are giving it native tracker blocking as well as other tricks in development. Since you spend most time browsing, it makes sense that this be the most important app, and being able to customize it, is extremely important.

5) A VPN or Proxy for Security & Privacy.
Orbot, made by Guardian who make Orfox (Tor browser for Android) also allows you to proxy any apps connections thru it's use of the Android VPN protocols. ProtonVPN is a new service you should look at because they ate all about security and privacy. They offer ProtonMail too. Free accounts are available in limited forms. Tiered accounts are reasonable. Typically, free VPN's for Android are a mess. Be very careful in picking one of these. There is lots of information online, and many studies. Scary stuff. Paid version are usually better, but do your homework.

Privacy & Security take lots of time & work. Is it that important? I very much think so. I belong to several advocacy groups, EFF (electronic frontier foundation) Mozilla, Access, and more. I am in the fight to preserve encryption, and expand its use. I read research studies on all manner of Security issue's.
You get the idea. If we don't fight for these things, we will lose them. So use every tool at your disposal, and support those who make them available.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.