Privacy: Mozilla vs Google, Microsoft and Others [Thread Split]

dash

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Dang, sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I assume he was upset by my comment. :(

PS I guess, I mean, full story is I used to try to stop Microsoft/Google/Apple/etc from collecting so much data on me but at some point I determined my resistance to be futile so I stopped fighting, for the most part anyway.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I care more about who is able to protect the data they collect. There have not been any big data breaches by Google. Microsoft however...

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I let $MSFT and $GOOGL invade my privacy all they want. It's too much of a pain/hassle to fight them.
Moderator edit: Thread split from Discuss - Is Your Antivirus Software Spying on You? - Restore Privacy

Most people only know to either "give up" or "fight". There is a middle ground in everything. Its true that one cannot win over privacy in internet but at least one can reduce their footprint in the internet in many ways. Why either full privacy nor give up and no privacy at all concept ?

dash

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I guess there's gray area. I mean I limit my Microsoft and Apple footprints. The only company I need to be able to entrust with my data is Google.

Still I don't see how it's anyone's concern but mine, it's my data afterall. And I mean I'm not alone, I'd say there are about 2 billion others that are in a similar situation.

Edited.

dash

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
But, yeah, I used to be HUGE on privacy. Mozilla, EFF, etc. Then Chrome came out and I became dependent on Google. Maybe one day I'll circle back to Firefox and Linux etc. Doubtful though, I'm quite content with Google. But that's my choice.

*I thought about it for a minute and I said I limit MSFT some because like even on their platform (Windows), I'm still Google dependent. I don't use Edge or Bing, I use Chrome, Google, that kind of thing. Up to the beholder to determine if that's a positive or a negative thing. But I don't go out of my way to block telemetry or anything. Let them mine, it just doesn't bother me. Sorry if you think it should.

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Interesting concept, but there really is no way to use the net and avoid them all.

Funny story here: https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-the-big-five-tech-giants-from-my-life-it-was-hel-1831304194
Week 6: Blocking them all

A couple of months ago, I set out to answer the question of whether it’s possible to avoid the tech giants. Over the course of five weeks, I blocked Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Apple one at a time, to find out how to live in the modern age without each one.

To end my experiment, I’m going to see if I can survive blocking all five at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.