Troubleshoot Problem with Laptop

Pepperminty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Cannot do anything as I can't boot into windows.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Cannot do anything as I can't boot into windows.
I would like some help with resolving a hardware issue with my laptop. Currently, when I turn on my laptop it beeps and has a ticking/Clicking noise. Could this be a hard drive failure? Note that I cannot boot into windows, just stuck at the windows logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim one

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would like some help with resolving a hardware issue with my laptop. Currently, when I turn on my laptop it beeps and has a ticking/Clicking noise. Could this be a hard drive failure? Note that I cannot boot into windows, just stuck at the windows logo.
What brought on this issue? It happened by itself, or you made some change? If the latter, what exactly did you change?
Maybe it happened after a Windows update?

Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Hardware and Devices resolved an issue with a Driver. I am not sure if this would resolve the problem but will wait and see.
You can also download Cristaldiskinfo to check your HDD health.

Also, how many times have you cleaned the dust from fans and heatsink in these 6 years?
In case try with a vacuum cleaner.

Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The heat can also damage the HDD if you (like me) have the bad habit of using the laptop on your knees or on the bed, obstructing the ventilation grilles.
Please consider to block the fans, for example with a pencil, when cleaning with a vacuum cleaner or compressed air to avoid electrical returns to the motherboard, while the fan spins because of the air.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Last time I heard a clicking noise on my HDD I had dropped it from 1,50mts high and I had to bury it 15mts below the ground. :cry:

Please follow @tim one advise, he guides you in the right way :) But take into account your hard drive may be dying. Consider to backup your files and get a new one.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
A failing hard disk can cause all sorts of random issues and errors, so that driver problem might just be a symptom of the hard disk problem.
So backing up your data is a very wise thing to do, the sooner the better. That's the good thing about regular hard disk drives: they often start complaining before they actually die, so that gives you time to prepare.
SSDs just die without warning.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.