Troubleshoot Problem with Laptop

Pepperminty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Cannot do anything as I can't boot into windows.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Cannot do anything as I can't boot into windows.
I would like some help with resolving a hardware issue with my laptop. Currently, when I turn on my laptop it beeps and has a ticking/Clicking noise. Could this be a hard drive failure? Note that I cannot boot into windows, just stuck at the windows logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim one

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
That's fine but understand that program (as with any drive status program) cannot detect all impending "mechanical" problems - especially when intermittent and if not currently interfering with the operation of the disk.

All hard drives make noise but an abnormal "ticking" noise from the drive indicates the read/write head is repeatedly banging against the endstops as it seeks the next data segment. Drives are not supposed to do that.

If running Error Checking (or chkdsk /r) on the drive does not stop the ticking, impending doom is lurking overhead. The problem is, there is no way to predict when the drive will fail. It could be months or even years. Or it could be tomorrow.

So again, you need to backup any data you don't want to lose, now!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.