Troubleshoot Problem with Region setting in Windows 10 CU

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not sure this is in the correct place, if not please relocate.

In Windows 10 Home (x64) Creators Update. settings...Time & language...Region & language...Country or region , the default is "Afghanistan", when I change it to "Canada" , it always reverts back to Afghanistan. How do I resolve this issue?

Reactions: brambedkar59

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You could try changing it from control panel. Navigate to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Region
Then select "location" tab and select your region. Maybe try reboot after that (God knows how many of my problems were solved by Reboot:p).

Upvote 0

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
You could try changing it from control panel. Navigate to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Region
Then select "location" tab and select your region. Maybe try reboot after that (God knows how many of my problems were solved by Reboot:p).
Thanks for the idea. When I went into Control Panel\Clock,Language,and Region No matter how many time I clicked on "Region" nothing happened at all. (I could click on anything else and it would respond)
I also booted into safe mode and tried to change the region. Afterwards upon re-booting the region I chose reverted back to "Afghanistan"

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the idea. When I went into Control Panel\Clock,Language,and Region No matter how many time I clicked on "Region" nothing happened at all. (I could click on anything else and it would respond)
I also booted into safe mode and tried to change the region. Afterwards upon re-booting the region I chose reverted back to "Afghanistan"
That's weird. You could try disabling all 3rd party security apps (av, firewall), although chances of them interfering with region settings are rare.
Last resort could be resetting or clean installing windows.
Although, I would wait for other more experienced members to reply to this thread.

Upvote 0

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
That's weird. You could try disabling all 3rd party security apps (av, firewall), although chances of them interfering with region settings are rare.
Last resort could be resetting or clean installing windows.
Although, I would wait for other more experienced members to reply to this thread.
Indeed, I find it rather strange myself. I had a problem when I installed Creators Update, I could not open settings, I could not pin icons in the taskbar, etc...
So, I decided to reset Win 10, that alone seemed to solve my issues. That is until I tried to get into Windows Store, it did not work. Nor did WSReset or alot of other approaches. I've tried multiple fixes and so far no luck.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Afganistan is simply the first choice on the list. The fact that it reverts to Afganistan shows that the settings are not letting you access them.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@cookinpro I cannot download apps, games or Edge extensions from Windows Store either, even after a clean install, clean upgrade, troubleshooting, reset Store cache, remove Microsoft account etc. Nothing works. It's broken for a lot of Windows 10 users.

Back on topic:
Can you share a screenshot of the Region & Language. If you have more than one language pack installed, which one is Set as Default?

upload_2017-5-12_12-27-53.png

Upvote 0

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
@cookinpro I cannot download apps, games or Edge extensions from Windows Store either, even after a clean install, clean upgrade, troubleshooting, reset Store cache, remove Microsoft account etc. Nothing works. It's broken for a lot of Windows 10 users.

Back on topic:
Can you share a screenshot of the Region & Language. If you have more than one language pack installed, which one is Set as Default?

View attachment 149948
Here is the screenshot. My default is US English

upload_2017-5-12_14-6-18.png

Upvote 0

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
I've also posted on the Microsoft Community Forum. And so far their limited suggestions have not been helpful.
Here is the latest suggestion. It has not worked.

Another option that you can try is to change the region using the Registry Editor. To get started, follow the steps below:
***Note***
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
1. To open the Registry Editor, press Win+R simultaneously and type regedit in the Run dialog box.
2. Navigate to Geo key location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Geo
3. In the right pane, double-click Nation and modify the value.
4. Change the value data to the geographical location identifier number of Canada (39) and click OK.
5. Close the registry and restart your PC.
Don't hesitate to post back for additional help.
Kind regards.

When I have navigated to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Geo

"Geo" is not listed
Does anyone here know why?

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013

@Spawn
I was able to resolve the Windows Store problem that I had, along with a few other issues as well ( e.g. cortana searches, region settings)

I used Windows Repair v 3.9.31 and under the repair tab I set 01,02,03,04, 09,and 10
Ran it in "safe mode with networking"
rebooted when finished and all was well.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.