Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello!

The title says it all. Is Process Lasso underrated or overrated? I'm sure you'll have different answers. I think that those who will benefit most from this app are those with low-end systems, like mine.

What do you think? Does it run good on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10? Does it really prevent lags?

Thanks

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
It's underrated.
I use it in my laptop. And it's doing great.
Probalance basically prevents lags generated from background processes. But, it doesn't prevent lags from your foreground process.

Just today, Chrome rose its CPU usage to 100% for a few seconds, my laptop had "mini-lags" whether it's foreground or not. It's because PL made Chrome processes be excluded from Probalance restraints.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
It's underrated.
I use it in my laptop. And it's doing great.
Probalance basically prevents lags generated from background processes. But, it doesn't prevent lags from your foreground process. Just today, Chrome rose its CPU usage to 100% for a few seconds, my laptop has "mini-lags" whether it's foreground or not. It's because PL made Chrome processes be excluded from Probalance restraints.
Thank you! I had a good experience with it too on my former Windows 8.1. The new version supports Windows 10. Can we do something to make it prevent lags from foreground process too?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you! I had a good experience with it too on my former Windows 8.1. The new version supports Windows 10. Can we do something to make it prevent lags from foreground process too?
I think you can. But I'm not really sure.
I think the developer intended it, so that whatever you do with your current program, there will be no Probalance restraints. If there are restraints in your foreground process, you'll expect lags and hangs with your foreground process.

AVs, for example, use many CPU cycles, so if PL restrains them, you'll experience slowdowns.

Edit: Yes, you can enable restraints for the foreground processes. Just uncheck "Do not act on foreground processes".

Edit2: I think I misunderstood your question. hahahaha... I think the best way to prevent lags from foreground processes is to let it be. We can't do anything if the foreground process is consuming 100% CPU, especially if PL excluded it (e.g. Chrome processes).

Reactions: frogboy

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Process Lasso (for me) is a must have.
I game a lot and PL keeps it a very smooth experience
I have spread the word about it to some of my friends that game competitively, and they like it. PeAcE
PS almost forgot.. "Under Rated" :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I think you can. But I'm not really sure.
I think the developer intended it, so that whatever you do with your current program, there will be no Probalance restraints. If there are restraints in your foreground process, you'll expect lags and hangs with your foreground process.

AVs, for example, use many CPU cycles, so if PL restrains them, you'll experience slowdowns.

Edit: Yes, you can enable restraints for the foreground processes. Just uncheck "Do not act on foreground processes".

Edit2: I think I misunderstood your question. hahahaha... I think the best way to prevent lags from foreground processes is to let it be. We can't do anything if the foreground process is consuming 100% CPU, especially if PL excluded it (e.g. Chrome processes).
Thanks. I think by tinkering in its complex settings, it could be done - but will not be helpful as you said.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Process Lasso (for me) is a must have.
I game a lot and PL keeps it a very smooth experience
I have spread the word about it to some of my friends that game competitively, and they like it. PeAcE
PS almost forgot.. "Under Rated" :)
Yeah, I think it is underrated too. I personally find it useful. Though there are some bloggers or forums that say it is overrated.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
I installed it on my old Windows XP computer I keep around the house if guests come and it freaking worked alright; the boot time is instant, i get no freezes at all and the computer is working much faster overall. Before i installed it the boot time took at least 1 min, there were a lot of freezes all the time and the performance was just bad. I can tell you one thing that it's amazing on old computers with a shitty CPU, haven't tried it yet on my new one tho.

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I've used ProLasso for years and it does what Windows should already do but fails pitifully: keep processes from making the system unresponsive. (OS/2 still multitasks better than Windows!)

Foreground/background is irrelevant: ProLasso will put any belligerent process in its place and keep global hitches/hangs from happening--especially those that freeze during intense disk I/O or network access (I'm looking at you, Steam).

ProLasso isn't just for low-end systems as high-end systems suffer no differently from poorly-written software/OS. It's a genetically engineered Task Manager on steroids and herbal supplements. It's frequently given away and my free licences have lasted through major and minor updates.

I keep the browser unrestrained/high priority since I stream with it, keeps the video smooth. There are categories for multimedia/streaming and gaming, which is primarily why I use ProLasso.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Rolo
Someone does need to take Steam out into the backyard for a thumpin for sure.
QUOTE: " especially those that freeze during intense disk I/O or network access (I'm looking at you, Steam). " :)

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
Definitely underrated! I love Process Lasso since I started with the free version and I love the responsiveness of the program itself. I bought the pro version to support the developer and I've never get any lags on my computer since then.... No more bottlenecks and processes trying to fight for resources. I recommend this program to anyone. (IT IS DEFINITELY A MUST)

L

LabZero

Well, I used Process Lasso for some time and on different systems.
On an old XP mono-processor system : better responsiveness and resource management which results in smoother performance.
On my current Windows 7 dual-core I haven't noticed greater improvements but it did not create problems.
IMO It is a well designed software that I recommend to try (sometimes it's in giveaway).;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.