Advice Request Pros and cons of using VPN extensions rather than installed VPN software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
What are all the things you lose out on when you use a VPN extension rather than installing and autostarting a VPN program?

Obviously if you use a freestanding email application like I prefer to, a VPN extension is meaningless for that, but how much of a concern is that?

Are VPN extensions any less taxing on system performance than VPN software?

Good to be back; way too busy lately.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What are all the things you lose out on when you use a VPN extension rather than installing and autostarting a VPN program?

Obviously if you use a freestanding email application like I prefer to, a VPN extension is meaningless for that, but how much of a concern is that?

I believe that the addon is purely a proxy and not a true vpn
The vpn installed will protect all applications not just the browser
Others can chime in for more details :)

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Thanks for the question (y)
I just started to use a VPN (NordVPN) and I have the same question about VPN program vs VPN extension.
And another, is the VPN extension enough to protect me on Internet ?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have seen that even using extension the IP address remains hidden. It depends on the provider, if the extension has been made good then it can provide enough protection but it only protect the particular browser whereas the app will protect all the connections. But the extensions don't have kill switch (some say its not needed ) so it can be a problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.