ProtonMail Community Update

Discussion in 'Office and Communications' started by _CyberGhosT_, Jul 14, 2016.

?

Have you tried ProtonMail yet ?

1. Yes

63.2%
  2. No

26.3%
  3. Plan to soon

10.5%
  1. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Official Website:
    https://protonmail.com/
    Build version:
    • No more waiting list! Invite your friends & family to create accounts instantly: ProtonMail - Sign Up
    • Over half a million new users in the past several months!
    Free iOS/Android mobile apps launched globally in March

Some interesting new features include:

Behind the scenes, we have also scaled and improved our infrastructure to provide even more reliable secure email to our community of millions of users. Our team has also expanded, including more customer support staff to ensure quicker help for paid account users.

Looking forward, we will continue to improve our core email encryption technology and add new features such as two factor authentication, improved contacts with mailing lists, and paid plans for small and medium businesses that can support multiple users!

We are committed to providing privacy to the entire world and we believe that continuing to provide free accounts for all is crucial for our mission. In order for ProtonMail to continue to develop and operate at the highest standards, financial support from the community is vital. The best way to support our mission is by upgrading to a paid plan, making a donation, or simply spreading the word about ProtonMail.

Your continuous support over the past couple years has taken ProtonMail further than anybody ever imagined. We are here to serve the community and we look forward to improving ProtonMail with your support!

Best Regards,
    The ProtonMail Team

ProtonMail Blog: protonmail.com/blog
    Feature Request: protonmail.uservoice.com
    Facebook: facebook.com/protonmail
    Twitter: twitter.com/protonmail
    Google+: plus.google.com/+protonmail
    Reddit: reddit.com/r/ProtonMail

2. Noxx

Noxx Level 3

Jul 13, 2016
    USA
    I tried ProtonMail after hearing it from you, and it's good. I just don't know how much of their security gimmick stands tall.

3. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    CERN and MIT associated people working together, plus hosted in Switzerland ?
    Low on gimmick high on security :)

4. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 18
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    I'm also using proton mail. The sevice seems to be very good: i found lots of good opinions on the internet.

Ana_Filiz, Dirk41, Yash Khan and 4 others like this.
  5. Noxx

Noxx Level 3

Jul 13, 2016
    USA
    It's a very interesting combination, isn't it. I actually use PM for my personal stuff, because I just got sick of my AOL account getting hacked. It was literally like a bi-monthly occurrence, and I had complex passwords and the whole nine yards.

6. Zerion

Zerion Level 3

Mar 2, 2016
    Sweden
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Thanks for the tip, gonna try it out! :)

7. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    It's a smart move Zerion, lets us know what you think once you have given it the once over.
    PeAcE

8. Zerion

Zerion Level 3

Mar 2, 2016
    Sweden
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Yeah, i will! ;)

9. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    UK
    Windows 10
    Thanks for posting this CG:)...I am certainly interested,and because of this I am going to spend the next few months researching it..
    The first thing I discovered is this link...
    Is email encryption, as claimed by ProtonMail, possible?
    I would be interested if any MT members have any thoughts on issues raised in the above..

10. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    #10 _CyberGhosT_, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Yeah, it has it's critics and naysayers as most do.
    More on how ProtonMail does what it does can be found here: Security Features
    I know that if ProtonMail's claims were just fluff it would make national news seeing who's involved
    not just on a blog post. But hey critics have the right to exist too it keeps things fair and balanced, and the "Critical Thinking" flowing.

askmark, LASER_oneXM, Dirk41 and 4 others like this.
  11. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    UK
    Windows 10
    Thanks CG....I couldn't find any details on the Proton-Security Features Link regarding the level of "Secure Hash Algorithm" used..Although I may have just missed it:oops:
    The link that I posted in Post #9 suggests that Proton had said "we will also release the SHA3 hash for our SSL public key" ...
    ...but the person commenting about Protonmail said that "SHA3 does not exist yet" (The post is dated Nov 9th 2014)....
    ....yet Wikipedia suggests that "SHA3 was chosen in 2012 after a public competition among non-NSA designers" (page last updated on 11 March 2016)
    Secure Hash Algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    :confused:

12. Cohen

Cohen Level 7

May 22, 2016
    Australia
    Linux
    I have been using protonmail for about a month so far I've liked it.

13. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I will see what I can come up with here, and re-post for you.
    Thanks buddy ;)

14. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    @Logethica
    look here in the section a little ways down "Technical Security"
    ProtonMail 3.1 Review (2016) - BestVPN.com
    ProtonMail uses end-to-end encryption for encrypted messages, using “secure implementations” of the open source AES, RSA, and OpenPGP libraries (TLS 1.0, AES-128 CBC, DHE RSA handshake, and SHA3 hash authentication).

This is ok, although TL 1.0 is somewhat outdated, and most experts consider AES-256 to be more secure than AES-128 (this is open to debate, however, as AES-128 has a stronger key schedule).
    END QUOTE
    It is hard finding details, I may message ProtonMail and see if they or a rep can spare the time to maybe share with us here a Q&A if @Jack and ProtonMail are ok with that.

I have been digging since your post Logethica and am getting nowhere fast lol.
    If Jack is then I will start pestering ProtonMail staff.

15. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    UK
    Windows 10
    @_CyberGhosT_ ...
    Thank you so much for taking the time to source that,CG..I really appreciate you going to that effort:)
    That answers my question 100%.....and the link you posted is very good too.
    Thanks again:)

16. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    No worries brother. ;)

17. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Using it since the beginning beta.

18. jogs

jogs Level 11

Nov 19, 2012
    As far as I know it doesn't have 2 factor authorisation, any body knows when its going to be implemented?

LASER_oneXM, Dirk41 and Yash Khan like this.
  19. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    why need 2 factors authentication, when you need 2 different passwords?

20. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    PMlogo.png V3.4
    We are happy to announce the next version of ProtonMail’s secure email service. ProtonMail 3.4 adds two much demanded features, Custom Filters and Embedded Images

In order to make encrypted email easier to use, we have put a lot of focus this summer on adding features that exist in legacy email providers into ProtonMail, while maintaining the encryption that makes ProtonMail the world’s most secure email service. In particular, Custom Filters is a highly requested feature, garnering nearly 1300 votes from the ProtonMail user community. In this release, we are also launching support for embedded images in the ProtonMail secure email webapp. Support for embedded images on our top ranked iOS and Android encrypted email apps will come in a subsequent mobile app update.