Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
  • No more waiting list! Invite your friends & family to create accounts instantly: ProtonMail - Sign Up
  • Over half a million new users in the past several months!
Free iOS/Android mobile apps launched globally in March

Some interesting new features include:

Behind the scenes, we have also scaled and improved our infrastructure to provide even more reliable secure email to our community of millions of users. Our team has also expanded, including more customer support staff to ensure quicker help for paid account users.

Looking forward, we will continue to improve our core email encryption technology and add new features such as two factor authentication, improved contacts with mailing lists, and paid plans for small and medium businesses that can support multiple users!

We are committed to providing privacy to the entire world and we believe that continuing to provide free accounts for all is crucial for our mission. In order for ProtonMail to continue to develop and operate at the highest standards, financial support from the community is vital. The best way to support our mission is by upgrading to a paid plan, making a donation, or simply spreading the word about ProtonMail.

Your continuous support over the past couple years has taken ProtonMail further than anybody ever imagined. We are here to serve the community and we look forward to improving ProtonMail with your support!

Best Regards,
The ProtonMail Team

ProtonMail Blog: protonmail.com/blog
Feature Request: protonmail.uservoice.com
Facebook: facebook.com/protonmail
Twitter: twitter.com/protonmail
Google+: plus.google.com/+protonmail
Reddit: reddit.com/r/ProtonMail

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
CERN and MIT associated people working together, plus hosted in Switzerland ?
Low on gimmick high on security :)

It's a very interesting combination, isn't it. I actually use PM for my personal stuff, because I just got sick of my AOL account getting hacked. It was literally like a bi-monthly occurrence, and I had complex passwords and the whole nine yards.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, it has it's critics and naysayers as most do.
More on how ProtonMail does what it does can be found here: Security Features
I know that if ProtonMail's claims were just fluff it would make national news seeing who's involved
not just on a blog post. But hey critics have the right to exist too it keeps things fair and balanced, and the "Critical Thinking" flowing.

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks CG....I couldn't find any details on the Proton-Security Features Link regarding the level of "Secure Hash Algorithm" used..Although I may have just missed it:oops:
The link that I posted in Post #9 suggests that Proton had said "we will also release the SHA3 hash for our SSL public key" ...
...but the person commenting about Protonmail said that "SHA3 does not exist yet" (The post is dated Nov 9th 2014)....
....yet Wikipedia suggests that "SHA3 was chosen in 2012 after a public competition among non-NSA designers" (page last updated on 11 March 2016)
Secure Hash Algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:confused:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks CG....I couldn't find any details on the Proton-Security Features Link regarding the level of "Secure Hash Algorithm" used..Although I may have just missed it:oops:
The link that I posted in Post #9 suggests that Proton had said "we will also release the SHA3 hash for our SSL public key" ...
...but the person commenting about Protonmail said that "SHA3 does not exist yet" (The post is dated Nov 9th 2014)....
....yet Wikipedia suggests that "SHA3 was chosen in 2012 after a public competition among non-NSA designers" (page last updated on 11 March 2016)
Secure Hash Algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:confused:
I will see what I can come up with here, and re-post for you.
Thanks buddy ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Logethica
look here in the section a little ways down "Technical Security"
ProtonMail 3.1 Review (2016) - BestVPN.com
ProtonMail uses end-to-end encryption for encrypted messages, using “secure implementations” of the open source AES, RSA, and OpenPGP libraries (TLS 1.0, AES-128 CBC, DHE RSA handshake, and SHA3 hash authentication).

This is ok, although TL 1.0 is somewhat outdated, and most experts consider AES-256 to be more secure than AES-128 (this is open to debate, however, as AES-128 has a stronger key schedule).
END QUOTE
It is hard finding details, I may message ProtonMail and see if they or a rep can spare the time to maybe share with us here a Q&A if @Jack and ProtonMail are ok with that.

I have been digging since your post Logethica and am getting nowhere fast lol.
If Jack is then I will start pestering ProtonMail staff.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Logethica
look here in the section a little ways down "Technical Security"
ProtonMail 3.1 Review (2016) - BestVPN.com
ProtonMail uses end-to-end encryption for encrypted messages, using “secure implementations” of the open source AES, RSA, and OpenPGP libraries (TLS 1.0, AES-128 CBC, DHE RSA handshake, and SHA3 hash authentication).

This is ok, although TL 1.0 is somewhat outdated, and most experts consider AES-256 to be more secure than AES-128 (this is open to debate, however, as AES-128 has a stronger key schedule).
END QUOTE
It is hard finding details, I may message ProtonMail and see if they or a rep can spare the time to maybe share with us here a Q&A if @Jack and ProtonMail are ok with that.

I have been digging since your post Logethica and am getting nowhere fast lol.
If Jack is then I will start pestering ProtonMail staff.
@_CyberGhosT_ ...
Thank you so much for taking the time to source that,CG..I really appreciate you going to that effort:)
That answers my question 100%.....and the link you posted is very good too.
Thanks again:)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
PMlogo.png
V3.4

We are happy to announce the next version of ProtonMail’s secure email service. ProtonMail 3.4 adds two much demanded features, Custom Filters and Embedded Images

In order to make encrypted email easier to use, we have put a lot of focus this summer on adding features that exist in legacy email providers into ProtonMail, while maintaining the encryption that makes ProtonMail the world’s most secure email service. In particular, Custom Filters is a highly requested feature, garnering nearly 1300 votes from the ProtonMail user community. In this release, we are also launching support for embedded images in the ProtonMail secure email webapp. Support for embedded images on our top ranked iOS and Android encrypted email apps will come in a subsequent mobile app update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.