Have you tried ProtonMail yet ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
I've got a question about it : protonmail encrypt my email, but if i send an email to gmail or yahoo, my email won't be secure ?
It is useless to use protonmail if i don't send emails to protonmail adresses ?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I've got a question about it : protonmail encrypt my email, but if i send an email to gmail or yahoo, my email won't be secure ?
From ProtonMail:
Messages are encrypted at all times
1> Messages are stored on ProtonMail servers in encrypted format. They are also transmitted in encrypted format between our servers and user devices. Messages between ProtonMail users are also transmitted in encrypted form within our secure server network. Because data is encrypted at all steps, the risk of message interception is largely eliminated.
2> ProtonMail's zero access architecture means that your data is encrypted in a way that makes it inaccessible to us. Data is encrypted on the client side using an encryption key that we do not have access to. This means we don't have the technical ability to decrypt your messages, and as a result, we are unable to hand your data over to third parties. With ProtonMail, privacy isn't just a promise, it is mathematically ensured. For this reason, we are also unable to do data recovery. If you forget your password, we cannot recover your data.END

It will till it hits their inbox brother and you also have the option to send self-destructing messages.
But yeah you may be right, it's not for everyone.
You may find an option out there that better suits your needs. ;)
PeAcE

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It does. I tried this morning sending from ProtonMail to my Hotmail and replied vice versa.

When you send a secure email from ProtonMail it asked for a password. This password needs to send to the recipient separately via say phone/SMS/in-person. When the gmail/yahoo mail received the ProtonMail email the recipient will click to open up the ProtonMail dashboard. He'll need to key in the password given by you to open the file

Similarly, from the secure dashboard, he can reply you securely. This feature is the same as using Tutanota, another secure email.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
No they have premium accounts.
Message Sending

Emails sent between ProtonMail users

• Always end-to-end encrypted.
Emails from ProtonMail users to non-ProtonMail users

• End-to-end encrypted if the “Encrypt for Outside” option is selected. Learn more here.
  • Otherwise encrypted with TLS if the non-ProtonMail mail server supports it (most providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, support TLS). Note, since these message are encrypted, but not end-to-end encrypted, this means Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, will be able to read these messages and hand them over. This is not possible if “Encrypt for Outside” is set and ProtonMail end-to-end encryption is enabled

Hi! As far as the last point is concerned ( recipient without protonmail and no "encrypt for outside " ) , tls is something the recipient has to enable ? Or is set by default ?

Thank you all

And .. I can't keep on using my email provider with protonmail encryption right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Hi! As far as the last point is concerned ( recipient without protonmail and no "encrypt for outside " ) , tls is something the recipient has to enable ? Or is set by default ?

Thank you all

And .. I can't keep on using my email provider with protonmail encryption right?

tls should be used by default by most popular email provider (I can only confirm gmail), you can check setting for your email provider,
if recipient or you don't have tls gmail will use non-secure connection (in gmail you can set to reject non-secure connection – your email won't be delivered (you will get email that your email cannot be sent), you won't get email from others)

protonmail allows end-to-end encryption solution for non-protonmail recipients (Encrypt for Outside) meaning that recipient will get generic email with link to message but he will need key/password to decrypt message which you will give him via phone, another email, personally, ... it depends on you

if you want to use protonmail encryption you will need to use protonmail with Encrypt for Outside enabled for non-protonmail user,
for another protonmail user all email are end-to-end encrypted

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Just created a free account , out of curiosity. I still don't know when I could I use it

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I have Protonmail Plus and I am very satisfied with this software.:)

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Me also :)
I have registared 4 domain mails on copule forums etc and i didn't get any one spam :D

R

Raka Daku

pm.me will be available for free users too?
Any ETA for pm.me?

And can software licenses be tied to pm.me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.