At-Risk pytroman86's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jul 10, 2026
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
WD without antiransomware (too many false positive) + WHHLight
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
Custom security settings
+ Safing Portmaster (free)
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes (free)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Firefox (AutoTabDiscard, BetterRYM, CheckerPlus for Gmail, Dark Reader, Bitwarden, Grammalecte, IDM Module, Keepa, Notesnook, NX Enhanced, uBlock Origin, Violentmonkey)

Helium (AutoTabDiscard, Bitwarden, IDM Module, Notesnook, uBlock Origin)
Secure DNS
NextDNS profile
Desktop VPN
N/A
Password and passkey manager
Bitwarden
File and photo backups
Amazon Photos, Filen.io, Proton, Google Drive
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Restore Point
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Working from home
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core,
CM : MSI B550M PRO VDH WiFi,
RAM : G.Skill 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200,
SSD (system) : 1 To M.2 NVMe Samsung 990 EVO Plus,
SSD (secondary) : 1 To M.2 NVMe Crucial P3 Plus,
HDD (storage): 1 To WD 2,5',
AIO : be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX,
PSU : SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold -
Cooler : Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE V3 (juil. 2026)
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

Fort firewall is lighter than Portmaster but the downside it has to install its driver which will force you to turn off core isolation as it is not signed nor allowed by MS.
 
Is fort firewall conflicting with privacy?
No, I didn't mean that there was a privacy issue with the Fort firewall, but Portmaster is more of a privacy tool than a regular firewall. It has a secure DNS and built-in ad/tracker filters, so for example, it will block Microsoft Edge tracking data without affecting the update process and without any manual configuration from the user. That's what I meant.
 
I would recommend adding CyberLock to your arsenal. It is a default deny layer. Everything that runs that is new is scrutinized and the AI then makes a security recommendation whether to keep or block. So you will be made aware that someone is attempting to run something and can take action.
 
Last edited:
I use external HDD's too. Because it is a little cheaper and should last longer too. But I am contemplating SSD's because I bring the external HDD's with me (as off site backup ) and it gets banged and tossed about.
Thankfully I managed get a shockproof silicone case for my external HDD and I dropped it many times. It is working without any issues.

In the past few month, the prices of SSDs in Egypt skyrocketed. Very unreasonable prices. I am not sure if other markets are the same.
 
Windows Defender without anti-ransomware + WHHLight (without WDAC) + Safing Portmaster (free)... Will this break Windows 11?

Home use only...

Is this enough?

I often use a personal NextDNS profile in Portmaster...

And that's more than enough for me...

Since my Windows 11 is experiencing app and process crashes (Pano scrobbler, Spotify, Rainmeter, Calibre, AIDA64, Portmaster, Explorer.exe, LightBulb...), I'm wondering what to install during my next clean install...

Already posted here: Serious Discussion - WHHLight - simplified application control for Windows Home and Pro.

abrupt shutdowns and restarts without blue screens...
I can't figure out exactly what's causing my problems...!

Thanks!
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top