Advice Request Q about MS accounts

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
What happens to backup documents stored on OneDrive if my Microsoft account is locked?
This is not my story.
'My account was locked without any specific explanation. After that, negotiations with Microsoft did not go well and I am in trouble. '
This is a topic posted on a Japanese bulletin board. There seem to be other similar cases, but the odds of the account being reusable are fairly low. Looking at this topic, I feel that backing up to OneDrive should be wary.
If anyone knows a similar case, I would like to hear your opinion.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Looking at this topic, I feel that backing up to OneDrive should be wary.
I do know MS can and will send crystal clear account lock notifications if one haven't paid the subscription fee in time. But that always happened long before they actually would so it have never become an actual issue.

Personal I have very little doubts with OneDrive in general. I used it too long and never had any problems that I actually can recall here and now. But best advice/tip with any Online backup service, never ever put all your eggs in one basket!
What happens to backup documents stored on OneDrive if my Microsoft account is locked?
This is not my story.
'My account was locked without any specific explanation. After that, negotiations with Microsoft did not go well and I am in trouble. '
if you don't access your OneDrive account within 12 months, or if you exceed your storage limit, your OneDrive account will be frozen.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
This is not my story.
This is a topic posted on a Japanese bulletin board. There seem to be other similar cases, but the odds of the account being reusable are fairly low. Looking at this topic, I feel that backing up to OneDrive should be wary.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, it's an old saying but still going gr8, I guess.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, it's an old saying but still going gr8, I guess.
I never get those people, a lifetime of family photos, school or work related stuff and if PC dies or smthg, they complain, that those files are extremely important, so important, that they did not even bother to back them up over the years. Yet they insist on disabling the bothersome onedrive, because it is bloatware. Well some have backups in another folder, lol. :sneaky:

keiichi

Apr 10, 2021
正二さん、こんにちは。

Microsoft アカウントがロックされている場合、OneDrive にはアクセスできません。
アップロード、ダウンロード、または削除はできません。
ロックされると、OneDrive のバックアップは意味をなさ
します。

2018年12月11日

Moderator Edit: Bing Translator to English
Hello, Mr. Masai.
If your Microsoft account is locked, you can't access OneDrive.

It cannot be uploaded, downloaded, or deleted.
When locked, onedrive backup makes
sense.
December 11, 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

This is not my story.
Nothing happens, accounts can be unlocked if you're the legit owner of it.

Regardless of your account status, by law you can also request all the data tied to it, including OneDrive files.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
正二さん、こんにちは。

Microsoft アカウントがロックされている場合、OneDrive にはアクセスできません。
アップロード、ダウンロード、または削除はできません。
ロックされると、OneDrive のバックアップは意味をなさ
します。

2018年12月11日

Moderator Edit: Bing Translator to English
Hello. It is a rule to use English for postings on this forum. We recommend using machine translation software. It is more likely that you will receive reference opinions from people in many countries.
Regarding the problem, I think that the link introduced by @Spawn should be visited and referred to.

Is there a way to negotiate an account unlock without the support of a local legal entity in each country? I presume that the local corporation is just a reception desk. In other words, there is concern that negotiations may be delayed there.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The reason I posted this thread was because I interacted with @keiichi on a Japanese bulletin board. The other day he gave the final result on this matter. It seems that Microsoft has replied that it will not accept any inquiries about this account in the future.
I can't explain the situation clearly because I don't know the details, but I learned that in the case of the cloud, data can be confiscated.

For your information, The backup data he wanted to get back was the point of the game, which didn't seem to contain any illegal issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.