Qihoo 360 Essentials Flagged Adwcleaner ver 5.0.1.5 With Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I downloaded Adwcleaner 5.0.1.5 yesterday & later in the day I ran TSE quick scan & received a Warning from Quihu TSE:eek::eek:. It might be a false positive though. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you post a screenshot warning from 360 TSE and the site you downloaded from?

Remember to use trusted sites like BleepingComputer, or MajorGeeks (Download AdwCleaner - MajorGeeks) - v5.0.1.5

1 FP from Bkav (Antivirus scan for f517beec61a29cfaf4a4e0c70be448c93bc527de1add6ddc1b3f22230ea7ca1e at 2015-10-28 16:27:43 UTC - VirusTotal) - VirusTotal Scan Results

An over-reaction isn't required unless you have downloaded from an unknown site, warez or other nefarious site. You can ignore the FP from Qihoo 360 TSE, or download a new copy from above.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I downloaded from Softpedia as its usually a good site for downloads for me. Bleepingcomputer does not have the new version up yet. Sorry, I can't do a screenshot as I uninstalled ver 5.0.1.5 of Adwcleaner to be on the safe side.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Kinda unrelated... But lately, AdwCleaner itself has some FP's. It picked up the browser security of Avira. :(
I think that the main issue is that the latest releases weren't digitally signed.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

Softpedia only has select software that is Ad-Supported (and it tells you if it is.)

They also state that all the files they host is not modified in any way.

g1nSTjc.jpg

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well it can be an FP if the signature name threat is not related to Adware type but even the possibility of ad supported then you cannot be infected if its a legitimate source.

So its a sensitive level of an AV which needs a report.

Reactions: Oxygen and XhenEd

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I started to run Adwcleaner this A.M. I received a warning that Adwcleaner was out of date. I went to Major Geeks & Tool Lib & Quihu Quarantined all two downloads as a Trojan. It was the latest version 5.0.1.7 so I went back to Bleepingcomputer & redownloaded version 5.0.1.6 & no problem with Trojan alerts. A FP maybe.??

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Today Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential suddenly flag AdwCleaner as heuristic malware. I Sent the false positive to them, and they replied they had took proper action for it. But then i try to run AdwCleaner again today, it still detect as heuristic malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.