App Review Qihoo Total Security- An initial test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Qihoo is a more complicated product than most to test as it includes two other engines (BitDefender and Avira) that can be employed as well as a pretty good mechanistic based defense so I've decided to make this a 4 part series:

Part 2- Qihoo against ransomware for which no AV definition exists
Part 3- Avira Free against the malware used in this test
Part 4- Bitdefender Free against the malware used in this test

Both Parts 3 and 4 were completed 12 hours after this one was finished, so the results will be kinda-sorta consistent.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
RmG152- Excellent point. This is why I conducted tests the following day (as I said about 12 hours after) on both Avira Free and BitDefendser Free. As Janl1992l has appropriately pointed out both Avira and BS should have an advantage in detection over Qihoo with these engines active as Qihoo uses only delayed definitions from these vendors. The Avira video is on tap for 10/22 with the BD video for 10/29.

Lucent- Doesn't she have a beautiful voice? It's Chantal Acda.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Great job! Only remember that to use BD and avira in real-time protection you have to click on 'Protection on"- then set it on "security", if you want to use both engines and the maximum security features for quihoo. Otherwise, you can select "Custom" and activate what you prefer. If the engines are active only in the scan section (as you did) they will be used only for on-demand scans

L

Lucent Warrior

As Janl1992l has appropriately pointed out both Avira and BS should have an advantage in detection over Qihoo with these engines active as Qihoo uses only delayed definitions from these vendors. The Avira video is on tap for 10/22 with the BD video for 10/29.
Did you just call BD "BS" here above ;) :D lol.. I know its a typo, but could not resist.

Lucent- Doesn't she have a beautiful voice? It's Chantal Acda.
She does indeed, quite alluring. I shall have to listen to more of her work. :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Woodrow- I'm very glad you brought this up. In the early years many of the Chinese software companies desperately tried to claw themselves up to the top and no doubt used questionable tactics along the way. But those days are gone and companies like Qihoo and Baidu are multi-billion dollar conglomerates now. This is really an important point because they are fully aware that any dodgy practices (I'm talking unlawful and not some oversight) could destroy them.

Too often someone will bring up Privacy Policy, as if anything contained within will disclose secret monitoring by China. This is always quite disheartening for me to read as a fairly standard PP is used by just about every company on this Planet (Mars is different) and certainly wouldn't contain anything that Qihoo's competitors can point to and warn people about.

Also frequently mentioned is how Qihoo can make money while giving a product away for free- this one is easy to answer. The security products for both the Desktop and Mobile are their Loss Leaders. They hope (and are proved correct) that by giving a good product away they can draw their users (over 1 billion currently) to use their web browser, and/or their Search Engine, and/or their App Store:

1). The Qihoo Web Browser will earn money just like Mozilla and Google do with Firefox and Chrome.
2). The Search engine makes money just like google does with theirs.
3). Their app Store makes money just like Apple does with theirs.

Advertising Revenue is where it is at in all the above, and there is nothing sinister about it (except Sinophobes and Flat Earthers may feel different). Personally I am very sure that by the installation of Qihoo TS they will not loot my system for information that they don't expect to be provided (Email, name, etc), and I am also certain that they could care less about where a lonely girl from NYC web surfs to.

But I'm sure there are other theories...

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Can't believe I didn't include Yahoo in the above Rant. It is criminal that the the lovely and extraordinarily well dressed Ms Mayer (her haircut is REALLY CUTE!!!) sat on the yahoo email breach for 2 YEARS in order to cover this up as Yahoo was being shopped around and she and the Board wanted to pocket more cash. And Yahoo is from California.

Hi Trick- just saw your Post! I exclusively use Comodo Firewall.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
hi- the plan is Part 2 (Qihoo against Ransomware, no AV detection stuff)- release 10/19
Part 3 (Avira Free against the malware used in this video)- release 10/22
Part 4 (BD free against the malware used here)- release 10/29

And sometime before 10/29 I have to make up a quick overview of the non-security functions of Qihoo.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Those startup entries, if its unrecognized block it, etc alerts...if users can take decisions on those alerts, there are lot better HIPS product, anti-executable, etc... instead of using a kinda lite HIPS product.
Indeed. I think CS even recommends using Q360 with Comodo firewall for some users. That is a rock solid setup that I've used myself and with Comodo HIPS you're onto a winner.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.